Chapala.com Webboard

Dogs in restaurants

Guest RevImmigrant

Guest RevImmigrant

Since some local restaurants have been fined for allowing smoking in restaurants or too close to the door, when are they going to start fining restaurants that still allow dogs since that's illegal too? I know all the dog lovers will complain about the very thought of restaurants being fined for allowing dogs in restaurants, but some people find animals in restaurants offensive. Even though it is likely that a high percentage of dogs owned by people on this webboard are clean, well mannered and free of fleas, it's the others that are problematic and, unlike a smoker who is easily spotted when smoking, it is impossible to tell whether a dog has fleas and has been bathed recently.

There was a thread on this webboard about a year and a half ago in which someone stated that as they were entering a restaurant, someone walked out with a dog. When they sat down, one member of the party stepped in the dog's calling card, i.e. poop. That is a good argument against allowing dogs in restaurants.

Perhaps I should discourage restaurants from allowing dogs illegally by taking my farm tiger to restaurants. He hates his cage. When he's in it, he sings and he's not very good either. One visit would probably do the trick!

• Replies 77
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Boy this is opening a can of worms but I strongly agree. We were in a nice little spot on Hidalgo, not far from the plaza in Ajijic which welcomes dogs and just as our order was served the little pooch under a table across the way upchucked whatever it was that the woman had been feeding it. We told the manager and have never returned to that place.

Well gee, then there's the chickens running around and the old goat who sat next to me recently & passed gas, flies, birds... :rolleyes:

Dogs in restaurants are not allowed in Mexico; it is the law, the same as smoking is not allowed. As far as old goats passing gas, well, personally I don't think any goats or other farm stock should be allowed in restaurants.

Dogs in restaurants are not allowed in Mexico; it is the law, the same as smoking is not allowed. As far as old goats passing gas, well, personally I don't think any goats or other farm stock should be allowed in restaurants.

I've heard a lot of bull in restaurants. Does that count?

At this point, I think we're all aware of what the laws are re smoking and "mascotas" in restaurants. It should be obvious by now that some people feel that their own wishes are much more important.....so they keep arguing the point. Waste of time. Nobody's mind changes.........even though the law remains the same. :014:

I've heard a lot of bull in restaurants. Does that count?

At this point, I think we're all aware of what the laws are re smoking and "mascotas" in restaurants. It should be obvious by now that some people feel that their own wishes are much more important.....so they keep arguing the point. Waste of time. Nobody's mind changes.........even though the law remains the same. :014:

I'm hoping for a law that forbids loud-mouthed, [moderator edit] gringos/gringas in restaurants! (Or cellphones?)

:lol:

Guest RevImmigrant

It's actually selective enforcement of the law. It's currently fashionable to ban smoking in restaurants and anti-smokers have an active lobby, so that's what they are enforcing and fining restaurant owners who fail to comply. Those who object to dogs in restaurants do not lobby actively enough for the government to enforce that provision of the law.

As far as banning old goats in restaurants, grocery stores and other businesses, this area is populated by old goats, both billies and nannies, many of whom are imported, so they would all go out of business if old goats were banned.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Since some local restaurants have been fined for allowing smoking in restaurants or too close to the door, when are they going to start fining restaurants that still allow dogs since that's illegal too? I know all the dog lovers will complain about the very thought of restaurants being fined for allowing dogs in restaurants, but some people find animals in restaurants offensive. Even though it is likely that a high percentage of dogs owned by people on this webboard are clean, well mannered and free of fleas, it's the others that are problematic and, unlike a smoker who is easily spotted when smoking, it is impossible to tell whether a dog has fleas and has been bathed recently.

There was a thread on this webboard about a year and a half ago in which someone stated that as they were entering a restaurant, someone walked out with a dog. When they sat down, one member of the party stepped in the dog's calling card, i.e. poop. That is a good argument against allowing dogs in restaurants.

Perhaps I should discourage restaurants from allowing dogs illegally by taking my farm tiger to restaurants. He hates his cage. When he's in it, he sings and he's not very good either. One visit would probably do the trick!

You are just mad because you are a smoker and you can't smoke in restaurants anymore.

Do you mean by picking up the food from the plate with the right hand and spearing it using the fork in the left hand? Is that what they do in Britain?

(Just joking -- I eat "European" style, too.)

:lol:

do you mean the dog's right hand (paw) or the hand (paw) on the right hand of the screen? :blink::lol:

Think we can find a video of monkey's eating with their feet next?

Guest RevImmigrant

The video is cute, but after having cats for over 50 years, I can tell you that no decent, self-respecting cat would tolerate such nonsense. If someone were to try it, they would end up with a very sore belly all scratched up.

The video is from Denmark; you could see the flag on the counter.

They should enforce laws equally. Selective enforcement is illegal in most places and should be. I also object to screaming, obnoxious kids in resturants.

The video is cute, but after having cats for over 50 years, I can tell you that no decent, self-respecting cat would tolerate such nonsense. If someone were to try it, they would end up with a very sore belly all scratched up.

The video is from Denmark; you could see the flag on the counter.

They should enforce laws equally. Selective enforcement is illegal in most places and should be. I also object to screaming, obnoxious kids in resturants.

I agree that selective enforcement of laws just isn't right.

However, screaming, obnoxious kids aren't illegal as yet any more than groups who are so loud that I'm convinced they went to the "laughing hyena" school of speech. A table of them nearby can sure mess with your dining experience. <_<

Yup kids can definitely be a pain if they're not supervised , but I still think the smokers are the worst. So far neither kids nor dogs have made me cough and gasp.....unlike some very thoughtless smokers. It's interesting too that a lot of people who are allergic to cats aren't allergic to dogs. I have both and fortunately are allergic to neither. I have no idea why, maybe because dogs don't walk around in used litter pans? I do know that my dogs have never gotten on the counters...whereas my cats have gotten their little kitty bottoms in hot water for doing just that. At least they have a kitty door so no tracks from a litter box! :D I think one possible reason that people wouldn't even consider taking their cat to a restaurant is that they'd HATE it! And if they ever got loose, they'd probably never be seen again.

I think well behaved dogs who lay quietly under their owner's table, shouldn't be a bother to anyone. Wandering around the restaurant is a completely different story and unacceptable.

far

I agree that selective enforcement of laws just isn't right.

However, screaming, obnoxious kids aren't illegal as yet any more than groups who are so loud that I'm convinced they went to the "laughing hyena" school of speech. A table of them nearby can sure mess with your dining experience. <_<

As an earlier poster mentioned, we are in Mexico and have to live by their laws and customs. If their way of life bothers us, we should go home. I am so annoyed by people who go to another country as a guest and try to change everything to suit them. Traveling in Europe, people take their dogs everywhere with them, even on trains. Has never bothered us. It is how things have been done for a long time. We can accept things as they are here, or leave.

As an earlier poster mentioned, we are in Mexico and have to live by their laws and customs. If their way of life bothers us, we should go home. I am so annoyed by people who go to another country as a guest and try to change everything to suit them. Traveling in Europe, people take their dogs everywhere with them, even on trains. Has never bothered us. It is how things have been done for a long time. We can accept things as they are here, or leave.

What did the situation in Europe have to do with Mexico? Maybe I missed your point.

The Mexican law is that neither dogs nor smoking are allowed in restaurants. Some restaurants ignore both laws. Some obey. Some have been fined for non-compliance. I, for one, am perfectly happy to be in compliance with the Mexican law. Were I to move to Europe, I would obey their laws even if I didn't like them.

Archived