Chapala.com Webboard

Rey Taco

ChapalaDan

A friend recommended Rey's. It was EXCELLENT!I had the Super Burrito (28 pesos) and my wife had the soft tacos (8 pesos/ea). You can choose from the following fillings: asada, pork pastor, beef tripe, chorizo, arrachera, chicken breast and shrimp/cheeze. I had the pork pastor and my wife had one each of pork pastor and asada. The meat is delicious! The tacos also come with shredded lettuce, onion and cilantro. The burrito was good size and lightly browned/fried, and was a good meal, (I'm 6'2" 225#) The burrito had this very delicious chipotle cream sauce drizzled on it, not drowned in it! This sauce was served in a bowl for my wife to put on her tacos. The food is not bland or boring, thank God.

The menu is Soft or Crispy Tacos, Stuffed Potatoes, Super Burrito, Tortas, Quesadillas, Queso Fundido, Nachos, Chistorra (an Argentina pork/beef blend type of chorizo that is slightly sweet but not picante). From the grille: Rib Eye (120 pesos), Arrachera (120 pesos), Beef Fillet (100 pesos), Liver & Onions (65 pesos), Chicken Breast (70 pesos0, Fish of the day (95 pesos), Butterfly Shrimp (120 pesos). He also has Molcajete for two people, and Shish-ka-bobs, both of which have choices of shrimp, chicken breast, beef filet/arrachera, supremes.

On Wednesday evenings they offer a grille buffet special, by reservation only. They will have several kinds of freshly grilled meats, potatoes and veggies, all you can eat for $135 pesos, not including beverage. Drinks will be at 5:30 pm with dinner available beginning at 6 pm.

The owners are Marco Bouleau, former head chef at the Vista del lago Country Club, and his wife, Alba or Elba. They both speak English. Marco's French father was also a head chef on the lakeside for many years. They are open from 10 to 10 Monday thru Saturday. Closed Sunday. Their restaurant is open air at the front yard of their home, on a corner. The roof is metal and the sides are chain link fence on two sides interwoven with metal/plastic giving privacy and wind and rain protection. They have numerous square card tables that are covered with white table cloths and a smaller blue cloth turned 90 degrees as a diamond shape.

Location: They are behind Soriana's. Exit the parking lot by Coppel's turning right onto the side street. Go down one block and turn left. Go one block, somewhat uphill and you will see the restaurant on the right and their large sign: REY TACO. Phone number: (376) 765-3029.

We're going Wednesday night for the grille special and will make it a regular weekly lunch stop. You should too.

Just got home from eating there (again) tonight...great service....great food and good prices. He also caters and will cook your turkey for you....really nice family. His BBQ is the best.

We have been twice for the Wednesday BBQ. He serves BBQ'd Angus filet, ribs, chicken, chorizo,scalloped potaotes, baked beans and salad. Its the best kept secret in Lakeside.

Thanks for adding your comments. The expat community needs to support excellent eating places like this!

A friend recommended Rey's. It was EXCELLENT!I had the Super Burrito (28 pesos) and my wife had the soft tacos (8 pesos/ea). You can choose from the following fillings: asada, pork pastor, beef tripe, chorizo, arrachera, chicken breast and shrimp/cheeze. I had the pork pastor and my wife had one each of pork pastor and asada. The meat is delicious! The tacos also come with shredded lettuce, onion and cilantro. The burrito was good size and lightly browned/fried, and was a good meal, (I'm 6'2" 225#) The burrito had this very delicious chipotle cream sauce drizzled on it, not drowned in it! This sauce was served in a bowl for my wife to put on her tacos. The food is not bland or boring, thank God.

The menu is Soft or Crispy Tacos, Stuffed Potatoes, Super Burrito, Tortas, Quesadillas, Queso Fundido, Nachos, Chistorra (an Argentina pork/beef blend type of chorizo that is slightly sweet but not picante). From the grille: Rib Eye (120 pesos), Arrachera (120 pesos), Beef Fillet (100 pesos), Liver & Onions (65 pesos), Chicken Breast (70 pesos0, Fish of the day (95 pesos), Butterfly Shrimp (120 pesos). He also has Molcajete for two people, and Shish-ka-bobs, both of which have choices of shrimp, chicken breast, beef filet/arrachera, supremes.

On Wednesday evenings they offer a grille buffet special, by reservation only. They will have several kinds of freshly grilled meats, potatoes and veggies, all you can eat for $135 pesos, not including beverage. Drinks will be at 5:30 pm with dinner available beginning at 6 pm.

The owners are Marco Bouleau, former head chef at the Vista del lago Country Club, and his wife, Alba or Elba. They both speak English. Marco's French father was also a head chef on the lakeside for many years. They are open from 10 to 10 Monday thru Saturday. Closed Sunday. Their restaurant is open air at the front yard of their home, on a corner. The roof is metal and the sides are chain link fence on two sides interwoven with metal/plastic giving privacy and wind and rain protection. They have numerous square card tables that are covered with white table cloths and a smaller blue cloth turned 90 degrees as a diamond shape.

Location: They are behind Soriana's. Exit the parking lot by Coppel's turning right onto the side street. Go down one block and turn left. Go one block, somewhat uphill and you will see the restaurant on the right and their large sign: REY TACO. Phone number: (376) 765-3029.

We're going Wednesday night for the grille special and will make it a regular weekly lunch stop. You should too.

Excellent food!

We eat there 2 or 3 times a week, and the BBQ

DaveP

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

A buddy of mine from Albuquerque and I decided to give this place a try based on this thread. We went for the grill. We arrived at 5:30 as instructed and got the usual plastic table and chairs. The directions posted in this thread were perfect.

That was about it for the perfection in our opinion. Food wasn't made available until almost 7 and it was barely warm. In the mean time, we were subjected to "entertainment" that was way too loud and hokey gringo country and western music. After a while, it was pretty clear why there wasn't a Mexican in the place who didn't work there.

Having lived in the southwest for quite a while, we feel we have a pretty good handle on what barbecue is supposed to taste like. This wasn't even close. Insipid and overly sweet is how I'd describe it. The beef was tough, the chicken was cold, the sausage had no zing. For 420 pesos for two, with 4 beers and a glass of wine, it was no bargain. Service was erratic.

Sorry to be the dissenter here but we won't be back.

Archived