Chapala.com Webboard

Overstaying tourist visa

mexart

What happens if your at the airport and you give them a tourist visa thats expired? How big is the fine? Does it affect returning to mexico the same year? Any year?

OK so you say its better to leave the country rather than have an expired visa. Besides airlines what's the quick and tolerable way to the border? ride wanted sing at LCS or what?

Appreciate your feedback.

When time to leave just go to the airport and if they say a fine, say you have no money. The fear-mongers and skeptics will have you running to see Immigration at the airport now and talk about all kinds of negative scenarios but little can happen. Ask for real examples of what happened to one who overstayed their FMM.

Or simply say when leaving, you lost it. Many loose them and and I am sure they left the country as planned. You will not have to pass GO and go directly to jail but I am sure some live music at LCS would be cool too. :020: John

When time to leave just go to the airport and if they say a fine, say you have no money. The fear-mongers and skeptics will have you running to see Immigration at the airport now and talk about all kinds of negative scenarios but little can happen. Ask for real examples of what happened to one who overstayed their FMM.

Or simply say when leaving, you lost it. Many loose them and and I am sure they left the country as planned. You will not have to pass GO and go directly to jail but I am sure some live music at LCS would be cool too. :020: John

Before computers that worked for me. But now everything is wired in. I read somewhere $100US for the first month, 600MX after that....

Before computers that worked for me. But now everything is wired in. I read somewhere $100US for the first month, 600MX after that....

Do you really think they log in tens of millions of FMM's every year? Many come her by car and drive out and never hand them in. Others as I noted loose them and I bet they are still not in Mexico. :P

I can only imaging the hoo ha this would have caused if this had been a Mexican overstaying their Visa NOB. We would likely all be calling for blood, but when it's the other way around we all have advice to offer on how to cheat their system.

Not true at all. Many stay way beyond their visa.

If you had experience is this area as I have had you would know you drive out of the US without checking. NOTE: there is no equivalent in the US to a FMM for Canadians or Mexicans.

And, if anyone makes it difficult it is the US and now Canada who require Mexican's to have a visa even to change a plane in say the US. When leaving the country though no checks you out. I know as my wife is Mexican and we just returned from the US. Similarly, a Canadian leaving the US, no one checks you out.

Obviously, many Americans have no trouble with them Mexicans staying in the US way beyond their time as they exploit them to farm, do construction work, clean rooms etc.

Geesh imagine the harm one does by staying a few extra days or weeks... maybe akin to driving 10km/hr over speed limit? I am more concerned about thousands of expat landlords who do not claim their rental income.

If you had experience is this area as I have had you would know you drive out of the US without checking. NOTE: there is no equivalent in the US to a FMM for Canadians or Mexicans.

And, if anyone makes it difficult it is the US and now Canada who require Mexican's to have a visa even to change a plane in say the US. When leaving the country though no checks you out. I know as my wife is Mexican and we just returned from the US. Similarly, a Canadian leaving the US, no one checks you out.

It was a true comment and yes I have experience thanks as my husband is Mexican.

The point is that most of us would think it horrendous to help someone cheat the system in our own countries.

In years past when I was only good for 90 days and would overstay routinely, sometimes the airlines would overlook it but when they didn't I always "lost it" and it took five minutes of paperwork and a lot of stamping at the airport and I was on my way. Today, the airlines demand it, so get your boarding pass or whatever thingy and then go to the immigration window and advise them of your "lost" tourist" card, suffer through a lot of "stamping" then enjoy your flight out of Mexico. Passport required of course.

Many people have successfully gone to the immigration counter at the airport and said they've lost their tourist card and received another one. Best to carry alot of luggage and look tired and let them scold you.

Now I'm beginning to think about the fact that nobody asked for our tourist visa when we returned to AZ last October. Nor did we think to turn them in (we did get our car sticker removed.)

and I've long since thrown away the paperwork

Are we gonna have a hassle next time we enter Mexico by car? What about if we enter by plane?

Now I'm beginning to think about the fact that nobody asked for our tourist visa when we returned to AZ last October. Nor did we think to turn them in (we did get our car sticker removed.)

and I've long since thrown away the paperwork

Are we gonna have a hassle next time we enter Mexico by car? What about if we enter by plane?

The first time we went back NOB in our car we didn't return our tourist visas - asked the US guy at the border what we should do and he just shrugged and said he had no idea. We drove on home and emailed our immigration person here and she said just throw 'em away - they don't track the FMM for tourists especially driving. It's the car sticker that you have to stay legal with. We had no problem when we drove back and got new FMMs.

• 1 month later...

I'm leaving in 10 days and my passport and my son's passport were stamped upon entry. I saw the suggestions of saying it was 'lost' but someone also suggested reporting as stolen and bringing the police report. Anyone know which is best and do you think they'll check the stamp? We've overstayed by A LOT...like a couple years, but my husband is mexican and my second son was born here, not sure if that helps us at all!

I'm leaving in 10 days and my passport and my son's passport were stamped upon entry. I saw the suggestions of saying it was 'lost' but someone also suggested reporting as stolen and bringing the police report. Anyone know which is best and do you think they'll check the stamp? We've overstayed by A LOT...like a couple years, but my husband is mexican and my second son was born here, not sure if that helps us at all!

I also thought of trying to pass off my old FMTs like i didn't notice and if they do notice, showing them the police report for the 'stolen' FMTs...any opinions would be appreciated.

Dec 2010 I took a flight from Vancouver to Mexico City on Air Canada. When it was time to board, I showed my id and boarding pass and entered the gate. Just around the corner, after entering the gate doors, were Canadian immigration officers checking IDs. They looked at our passports to see where we were from. They were stopping the Mexicans and asking about their visa status. (They may have stopped other foreigners as well but I did not see that). I was really shocked as I did not know they did this sort of thing. It seemed that most of the Mexicans were young adults, I imagine students... returning for the holidays.

Also, in 2004, when I worked in Seattle... I was driving through the Blaine crossing from the US to Canada. At the point after the last exit, in the lanes heading north towards the Canadian border were Officers from the US side. (The were just south of the border). They were stopping every car and questioning people.

So.... though it is not routine for Canada or the US to check visas and id when exiting the country... it can happen.

I'm flying NOB this year, not driving and am a bit puzzled, why the FMM? I have an FM3, but apparently flying requires an FMM, when I drive I don't get one.

You need to stop at immigration before you cross the border and complete an FMM. They will keep half of it and you will turn the other half in on your return. It's the same for everyone, regardless of what type of FM we hold.

I also thought of trying to pass off my old FMTs like i didn't notice and if they do notice, showing them the police report for the 'stolen' FMTs...any opinions would be appreciated.

You overstayed a FMT by a couple of years???

I suggest you go to a lawyer and get some advice and go with it rather than lying or saying it was lost. How do you plan to answer why you were illegal for a couple of years.

I thought you were talking about a few weeks, not a few years.

You need to stop at immigration before you cross the border and complete an FMM. They will keep half of it and you will turn the other half in on your return. It's the same for everyone, regardless of what type of FM we hold.

But, what's the purpose, when I drive out I don't get one and no one asks for it outgoing or incoming, so it doesn't seem to serve much purpose. Now, I do understand that my airline ticket automatically charges me for one which means I'm paying for an FM3 and an FMM which seems to serve no purpose. I'm quite sure no one is matching the two parts, or even recording how many people left and didn't return or came in and never leave. And, if I fly out and drive back and dutifully turn in the stub are they going to magically match the original at Delta Guad with one at Columbia Crossing? Looks like just another revenue generator to me.

You overstayed a FMT by a couple of years???

I suggest you go to a lawyer and get some advice and go with it rather than lying or saying it was lost. How do you plan to answer why you were illegal for a couple of years.

I thought you were talking about a few weeks, not a few years.

She overstayed because she was working with social services to get custody of her stepchildren and to get them away from their mentally ill and abusive mother. Social Services would not allow her to leave the country during all of it happening, which took well over a year.

But, what's the purpose, when I drive out I don't get one and no one asks for it outgoing or incoming, so it doesn't seem to serve much purpose. Now, I do understand that my airline ticket automatically charges me for one which means I'm paying for an FM3 and an FMM which seems to serve no purpose. I'm quite sure no one is matching the two parts, or even recording how many people left and didn't return or came in and never leave. And, if I fly out and drive back and dutifully turn in the stub are they going to magically match the original at Delta Guad with one at Columbia Crossing? Looks like just another revenue generator to me.

It's an immigration requirement and, simply put, is your responsibility - what you decide to do is up to you.

The question is why didn't she just get a FM3 and remain in the country legally? I'm surprised the government would work with someone who is here illegally and not inform them to get the visa fixed.

How many time when we do govt. things do we have to show our visa's ?

The question is why didn't she just get a FM3 and remain in the country legally? I'm surprised the government would work with someone who is here illegally and not inform them to get the visa fixed.

How many time when we do govt. things do we have to show our visa's ?

At first someone told me i didn't need one since i am married to a mexican, and like a fool, i believed them. Once I found out differently, we didn't have the money to pay for the fines and legal fees much less a trip to the US. The DIF and the PROcu gave me business cards and contact numbers so when I leave, someone can call them for validation of my story, but I doubt they'll be open at 4:30am! So I'm just hoping for the best, and hoping they just let me pay the lost visa fee

• 4 years later...

I've been crossing the border for 30 years. Fact is I never cross the border. I go directly to the migra as if i just arrived. Last time (5 months ago) I did it they stamped my PP, a rare event for me. I'm convinced their computer network is ailing, but with a stamp it's a little different. At least that's the way I'm feeling. I absolutely hate border runs..

Options: Just do what I always do..

Try a different entry point.

"Lose" my PP and get a nice new clean one.

Just stay. In three decades I've only been asked for my PP once.

Find a trusted paper wife and apply for citizenship.

Some advantages to my case:

I'm advanced in years. This isn't The USA where it's odd to see a useless old 71--year-old who isn't in a nursing home where he belongs, :).

I am more than fluent.

As we all know a lot depends on the official's mood along with the our current political relationship. Logic tells me since there are 1 million of theirs in my country why should an old guy with a pension who isn't making trouble or asking for anything monetary from anyone be too worried. Too bad we have to be aware of the semantics of the term, logic.

I hate it when people are fixated on the goodie-two-shoes fears and do their best to lecture you on what a good Christian would do. I've seen my countrymen show up at Immigration with a gift-wrapped bottle of Johnnie Walker in hand. While in Rome.

Archived