Chapala.com Webboard

Dinner at Yves

slobo

Carol and me and a buddy had dinner there tonight. I had the best sea bass I have ever had lakeside, Carol's lamb chops were perfectly cooked, generously cut, tender as can be, with mint jelly. Great, attentive service, peaceful lakefront setting. The place was full of happy looking diners as we left at 7p.m. Prices were extremely reasonable, included salad bar with the best sauteed mushrooms I've ever had. This will be a regular event for us.

Yves' relatively new lunch menu is very good and a great value. He has a couple of 'big' salads, as well as some flour tortilla wraps with interesting fillings, and a few Mexican items. They are all in the 55 to 65 peso range and the portions are large.. Lately he's been featuring fresh mango margaritas at 50p which are the best I've ever had. He serves breakfast starting at 8AM and his western omelet is quite good.

Friends and I had lunch there today, almost all tables were full. I had my favorite lunch, the parmesan chicken wrap with a big bowl of Aztec soup. My friends were happy with their meals. I like Yves-the man and the food, and the setting is so lovely.

Ajijic. Go south on Colon from the carretera until you come to the lake. It is to the left past the Posada Vieja.

• 1 month later...

April Update:

We're in Plumbing Hell and needing to dine out for the last few days. Since we live near Yves, we decided to give it a try with their new breakfast and lunch menus.

Yesterdays' breakfast: Outstanding. Good rolls with non-packaged butter and strawberry jam: fresh orange juice or coffee included with the meal: home fries the way I like them: westerm omelet done just right.

Double yum award. :P :P

Todays' lundh: Chicken wrap with nice tender chicken and for spouse, the taco salad with beef. Happily, it had no beans, plenty of beef, guacamole, and was large and well spiced. 65 pesos. My wrap at 55 pesos comes with Aztec soup or fries. I opted for the fries (too hot for soup) and they seem to be hand cut. Good. So, I give it another :P :P

We'll be back. That lakefront location is a winner, so am pleased the food is good, too.

I was very pleased at the changes. Went there with a friend some time ago and not only had a disappointing lunch entree...........It gave me the trots big time, so I hadn't been back. I seldom give second chances on restaurants, but had heard things weren't the same, so why not?

We went there for a birthday dinner a couple of weeks ago on a Tuesday, partly for the breeze and to watch the sun go down. There were eight of us, and it took a loooooooong time for everything to get going, but: there were lots of other people there, so they were busy. Once things got underway, everyone had a roaring good time. I think the ambience of other diners enjoying the night helps to kick up your own meter a notch or two.

Some of the food was excellent, some average, but the service ended up being great, and of course Yves is always making the rounds, checking things out. I think this man really knows how to run a restaurant. My fettucine alfredo with shrimp was above average, and they seem to be one of the few places in town that serve warm bolillos. I like that. I cannot complain about the prices; but then, when everyone leaves full and happy (believe me, I took advantage of the salad bar) price seems far less of a concern. By the way, their sopa Azteca is absolutely killer.

We went there for a birthday dinner a couple of weeks ago on a Tuesday, partly for the breeze and to watch the sun go down. There were eight of us, and it took a loooooooong time for everything to get going, but: there were lots of other people there, so they were busy. Once things got underway, everyone had a roaring good time. I think the ambience of other diners enjoying the night helps to kick up your own meter a notch or two.

Some of the food was excellent, some average, but the service ended up being great, and of course Yves is always making the rounds, checking things out. I think this man really knows how to run a restaurant. My fettucine alfredo with shrimp was above average, and they seem to be one of the few places in town that serve warm bolillos. I like that. I cannot complain about the prices; but then, when everyone leaves full and happy (believe me, I took advantage of the salad bar) price seems far less of a concern. By the way, their sopa Azteca is absolutely killer.

Yves used to have one of the best upscale restaurants in town-there were few-Manix, Yves, Bruno's, the original Los Telares. Yves was in a big home on Galeana. Then Yves got married and moved away, came back and opened up this place, which is a winner.

Dinner is better than their lunch offerings which are pedestrian at best. The sandwiches always have something about them that is off, the taco salad is all lettuce and its just not worth it for lunch. JMHO

Dinner is better than their lunch offerings which are pedestrian at best. The sandwiches always have something about them that is off, the taco salad is all lettuce and its just not worth it for lunch. JMHO

Respectfully beg to disagree. Am also curious as to what "pedestrian" means when applied to food. I would consider a white bread sandwich with lunch meat and a slice of lettuce "pedestrian", for example. Also, what's "a little off"? Spoiled? Don't mind me. I like my food criticisms specific, so I can know what to expect.

My spouse and I had lunch there twice this week. My husband's taco salad was loaded with beef, tasty and very filling: my parmesan chicken wrap was full of chicken and served with a delicious Aztec soup. On the second occasion, I had the California wrap with ham. It may be a matter of taste, but I prefer a light style of food preparation, so I enjoyed both of those selections.

We've also had breakfast there twice last week. Both times very good, with perfect eggs.

This isn't the Ritz Carlton, but then, we are talking about 55-65 peso meals in a lakefront setting.....I'll cut plenty of slack for that. :020:

We ate at Yves last night, and had the added pleasure of encountering the lovely Gringal and her esposo.

My wife had the lamb chops, I had the fillet. Both were excellent and properly prepared. We each had two glasses of an adequate house wine with our meals.

We loved the lakefront ambiance and Yves personal attention. We'll be back, probably not soon as we dine out infrequently, but definitely. If there's any criticism, it is a minor one: Yves charges way too much for an inexpensive bottle of Concha y Tora cabernet. 230 pesos versus 150 at Tango. Consequently, we didn't order one.

BTW, we started at Tequila Republic for the always enjoyable lake views and cool breezes. They've rather jacked up their drink prices, we just chalk it up to the cost of ambiance. This is a great way to begin an evening that ends with a meal at one of the many nearby restaurants. We always do this with our visitors as it really captures the ambiance of lakeside living.

We ate at Yves last night, and had the added pleasure of encountering the lovely Gringal and her esposo.

My wife had the lamb chops, I had the fillet. Both were excellent and properly prepared. We each had two glasses of an adequate house wine with our meals.

We loved the lakefront ambiance and Yves personal attention. We'll be back, probably not soon as we dine out infrequently, but definitely. If there's any criticism, it is a minor one: Yves charges way too much for an inexpensive bottle of Concha y Tora cabernet. 230 pesos versus 150 at Tango. Consequently, we didn't order one.

BTW, we started at Tequila Republic for the always enjoyable lake views and cool breezes. They've rather jacked up their drink prices, we just chalk it up to the cost of ambiance. This is a great way to begin an evening that ends with a meal at one of the many nearby restaurants. We always do this with our visitors as it really captures the ambiance of lakeside living.

Gee (blush). Thanks for the "lovely".

My esposo and I, plus two friends dined there last evening. We had: sea bass prepared a la plancha and scampi style. Both were delicious large pieces perfectly prepared, but the scampit style was very rich, so will order 'a la plancha' next time. They came with a scooped out and fluffy baked potato half and some veggies, including a trip to the salad bar. Our friends had: a filet mignon cooked just right with the same accompaniments and a fajitas dish. They were happy. We didn't order drinks. Our fish was $100 pesos; the steak was $130 and ? on the fajitas.

Now, for the downside: As with all places offering salad bars, be careful with your choices. Spouse and I had meager plates of lettuce, tomatoes, some cooked zucchini, a mushroom dish and I had some beets along with a few melon slices. I don't know what the fajita eater had. The fajita eater may have indulged in some of the dishes with uncooked onions or ??? because he had unfortunate after effects when he returned home. Or it could have been the fajitas. Lots of onions and peppers there, though cooked.

Food facts: Uncooked onions and cheese are the worst offenders for spoiling. The salad bar had been available since lunchtime, so I suspect those were the culprits. We hadn't had the salad bar in the previous visits I reviewed. Most of the places I'd come home from with troubles have been due to salads, so I quit ordering them and have had no troubles since.

That's just a heads up. The rest of us had no problems, and our meals were excellent. The setting is very enjoyable, especially at sunset. The service was very good, too.

:020:

Archived