Chapala.com Webboard

Letting Guns "Walk"

Ajijic

The last time I crossed the border, female alone dragging 24 ft camper, my entire vehicle was exrayed on the mexican side. I had a steel hook, a type to be mounted on the wall to hang things on, lying in a cabinet. Evidently, in the x-ray it looked like a gun. They drew their weapons on me and when they found what it was they all had a good laugh. When I say "all" that does not include me.

They did not x-ray all vehicles, it seemed.

My ex-chapala-cop friend says that guns are like traffic tickets, pay up and you walk, gun and all. In my opinion, this is where the real problem is and it is up to Mexico and it's inhabitants to solve it.

Betsy, using x-ray equipment to find metal is not the same thing as using x-rays to decipher an eradicated serial number. Obviously, the former is utilitous; the latter is impossible.

:)

A little off topic - where did you cross in Mexico that had xray? Never seen it!

The last time I crossed the border, female alone dragging 24 ft camper, my entire vehicle was exrayed on the mexican side. I had a steel hook, a type to be mounted on the wall to hang things on, lying in a cabinet. Evidently, in the x-ray it looked like a gun. They drew their weapons on me and when they found what it was they all had a good laugh. When I say "all" that does not include me.

They did not x-ray all vehicles, it seemed.

My ex-chapala-cop friend says that guns are like traffic tickets, pay up and you walk, gun and all. In my opinion, this is where the real problem is and it is up to Mexico and it's inhabitants to solve it.

As far as Xray use on the border, my RV was always ran thru the Xray bldg when entering the US at Colombia Bridge in Laredo. Got to be a real PITA.

On a side note I had a neighbor once in Texas who successfully moved lots of drugs from Mexico to the USA until once the US agents decided to Xray his vehicle. He was caught on the first pass thru the Xray and served 8 years in the Federal pen in Bastrop Tx. He said that getting drugs past dogs was a piece of cake but the Xray machine was another story altogether.

Karen what do you want us to do invade? The Mexican gov needs to do their part and stop all the corruption from the top down, believe me when I say this, we have been and are involved but you and I will never know who and where they are. The US probably knows who is on the take from the top down but they will not get involved until the right time comes. BTW Mexico need to stop the drugs from coming in from the south, that might help a little.

"Mexico needs to do their part?" Really?? I guess all those hundreds (thousands?) of Mexican police and military who have died battling the narcos just didn't do their part? And we get all worked up over one ICE agent (who undoubtedly did his part). So, for whom are most of those illegal drugs destined? From who do most of the guns come? People in the US should take a hard look in the mirror before blaming Mexico for failure to "do their part". There were no cartels until the US began its insane "War on Drugs" (thanks again, Dick Nixon). Keeping the drugs illegal and raising the enforcement pressure just made the trade that much more lucrative, hence the development of highly organized business arrangements to get supply to the willing US customers, i.e. narco cartels. Reminds me of the old cartoon character Pogo, who famously said "we have met the enemy, and he is us." After 40 years of this bogus War on Drugs, the drugs are more available than ever, at a cheaper price than ever. Let's give an "attaboy" to all those who did their part to originate and perpetuate this insanity.

A little off topic - where did you cross in Mexico that had xray? Never seen it!

I crossed at Laredo. The x-ray machine is actually a truck....kind of like the ones that collect money from banks. You have to pull up beside it, just so, and then another one parks in frount of you and a third regular type truck parks behind you so that you can not escape. I think it is only used on extreamly suspicious suspects such as myself.

I crossed at Laredo. The x-ray machine is actually a truck....kind of like the ones that collect money from banks. You have to pull up beside it, just so, and then another one parks in frount of you and a third regular type truck parks behind you so that you can not escape. I think it is only used on extreamly suspicious suspects such as myself.

Also at the Colombia crossing for example, cargo trucks and RV's are xray'd in a separate building that is about about 50 yards long. The vehicles are locked onto rails and pulled thru the building on a track while xray'd. The drivers wait outside during this process and then are questioned afterwards about any suspicious items seen on the xrsy.

I don't see why they can not come up with some kind of technology similar to the conveyor belts at the airport, everyone has to pass through. You sit or stand in a line moving at a crawl most of the time anyway. YES, $$$$ IS A FACTOR BUT WHEN COMPARED TO LIVES LOST AND INCARCERATIONS? oops....cap lock....

Archived