Chapala.com Webboard

Laura's Kitchen

ChapalaDan

As you all may know, Laura's Kitchen won first place at the recent Chili Cookoff. It is well deserved it was excellent! as was Bubba's who took second place. Most of us know where Bubba's is, not many people know where Laura's is in San Antonio. I asked several people including one passerby who was three shops away from Laura's who told me she was on the Carretera by Panni's. Wrong!. She's on the Plaza at San Antonio, south of the Carretera of course. Take the street just to the right of Mail Boxes to get there, down to the Plaza. Laura's is about in the middle of the Plaza and the store front facing the church. She doesn't have her name on the store front, in fact in says La Fuente in big letters! At about mid-day she has a couple of tables outside under umbrellas.

Chili lovers, you'll not want to miss her award winning chili. My wife and I had Mole Poblano Chicken and BBQ ribs. The sauces were excellent, tasty and with just a little bit of heat. The sopa de arroz was excellent and spiced as were the mashed beans as side dishes with the chicken dish. The ribs came with a few large slightly spiced home fries and a nicely presented small salad. I believe that this is the Best Mexican food that we have found since moving to the Lakeside from Phoenix last September. The are also enough "gringo" dishes and salads on the menu for the hardcore expats. The restaurant is nice, clean and tidy and can probably seat 20-25 people at a time. The gentleman who served us was middle-age and didn't have a good command of English, just FYI, but that wasn't a problem for us.

The community really needs to support a quality restaurant like this that serves truly delicious food. The award winning Chili alone is worth a visit.

Explore and enjoy!

As you all may know, Laura's Kitchen won first place at the recent Chili Cookoff. It is well deserved it was excellent! as was Bubba's who took second place. Most of us know where Bubba's is, not many people know where Laura's is in San Antonio. I asked several people including one passerby who was three shops away from Laura's who told me she was on the Carretera by Panni's. Wrong!. She's on the Plaza at San Antonio, south of the Carretera of course. Take the street just to the right of Mail Boxes to get there, down to the Plaza. Laura's is about in the middle of the Plaza and the store front facing the church. She doesn't have her name on the store front, in fact in says La Fuente in big letters! At about mid-day she has a couple of tables outside under umbrellas.

Chili lovers, you'll not want to miss her award winning chili. My wife and I had Mole Poblano Chicken and BBQ ribs. The sauces were excellent, tasty and with just a little bit of heat. The sopa de arroz was excellent and spiced as were the mashed beans as side dishes with the chicken dish. The ribs came with a few large slightly spiced home fries and a nicely presented small salad. I believe that this is the Best Mexican food that we have found since moving to the Lakeside from Phoenix last September. The are also enough "gringo" dishes and salads on the menu for the hardcore expats. The restaurant is nice, clean and tidy and can probably seat 20-25 people at a time. The gentleman who served us was middle-age and didn't have a good command of English, just FYI, but that wasn't a problem for us.

The community really needs to support a quality restaurant like this that serves truly delicious food. The award winning Chili alone is worth a visit.

Explore and enjoy!

Good to know, thanks for posting this! We LOVE mexican food and will be sure to support Laura's!

The owner speaks English and is very personable. She has daily specials. Ask about them. We've had items from her menu and her specials. Her food is always great. The soups are great also. We've never had a bad meal and have eaten there several times. Her prices are reasonable. Great food and reasonable prices what more can one ask for.

We tried the place last night, about 5:30, after attending the Little Theater. Until we left, there were no other customers present.

Things did not start out too well. The waiter told us they had none of the appetizers. "Maybe next week" he said. They also had no specials on Sundays. So, my wife and I decided to split an azteca soup ($35 pesos)and it was pretty good, although there is better available locally, and more than enough for us to share.

The club sandwich I ordered ($50 pesos)was very tasty and came with 4 large potato wedges that were golden on the outside and hot and soft on the inside. Overall, a good and filling meal.

My wife has not had liver and onions since Pedro's Gourmet closed so that is what she ordered. There was a huge portion of liver with a generous amount of perfectly grilled onions and bacon. It came with refried beans and some very good tortillas for $65 pesos. Well worth the money.

The owner, at my request, brought me a tiny sample of her award winning chili. It was mostly meat with a few beans and had just enough spice to leave a warm after taste without burning the tatsebuds. Definitely one of the better restaurant chilis but not as good as what I make at home.

Sometimes a restaurant, when slow, has unmotivated people but that was not the case here. Service was attentive and the waiter and owner checked on us occasionally to see how everything was and if we needed anything else.

The food and service were both good enough for us to return. I especially want to try their stuffed pork chop on Wednesdays and their fish and chips on Fridays.

Can anyone tell me if it is accessible for a physically challenged person who uses a walker? By that I mean does it have steps? A lot? Is there a driveway near so one does not have to step up the high curbs here? It would be very helpful to know this when people review restaurants on this site. There are some wonderful, recommended places listed here.I have called several and asked if they were accessible and was assured they were, only to be disappointed on arrival to find 18 in. curbs and six steps and no railings. Thanks in advance for posting some of this info when visiting or reviewing a new eatery.

Can anyone tell me if it is accessible for a physically challenged person who uses a walker? By that I mean does it have steps? A lot? Is there a driveway near so one does not have to step up the high curbs here? It would be very helpful to know this when people review restaurants on this site. There are some wonderful, recommended places listed here.I have called several and asked if they were accessible and was assured they were, only to be disappointed on arrival to find 18 in. curbs and six steps and no railings. Thanks in advance for posting some of this info when visiting or reviewing a new eatery.

You make an excellent point as my wife has trouble with her knees and steps are very hard on her. This place has parking around the plaza and the curb is only 3 or 4 inches high. Even with the low step, there was a small ramp for wheelchair accessibility.

Many Mexican restaurants close around 5PM, since the main meal of the day is taken in mid-afternoon. In the evening (gringo supper hour) it can be hard to find a place to eat in many towns. However, 'cenaderias' will begin to open about 7 or 7:30PM, offering typical Mexican fare and, of course, there are always tacos available in 'Centro' or at popular neighborhood stands.

Now that 'carne' is off the menu, many such places simply 'go on vacation'. It is fish taco time!

Many Mexican restaurants close around 5PM, since the main meal of the day is taken in mid-afternoon. In the evening (gringo supper hour) it can be hard to find a place to eat in many towns. However, 'cenaderias' will begin to open about 7 or 7:30PM, offering typical Mexican fare and, of course, there are always tacos available in 'Centro' or at popular neighborhood stands.

Now that 'carne' is off the menu, many such places simply 'go on vacation'. It is fish taco time!

Their hours were posted under this thread as open until 8 pm - which is why we thought it would be open. So we switched and we did go to the taco place across the street - But I had been really looking forward to the Chili!

I'm guessing an emergency has come up. They're still closed today - I just saw Laura yesterday late afternoon to pick up food for a birthday party for 50 - 60 that we hired her to do. Great food, by the way and she never blinked with any changes we made.

Now I'm concerned since they're still closed from last evening.

Perhaps for Ash Wednesday, as many families go to mass and have family gatherings; or sleep, after celebrating Fat Tuesday all night last night.

Chapala was booming until 4:30 AM.

• 1 month later...

Archived