Chapala.com Webboard

Las Miches

Sailor

Last night, four of us went to Las Miches to try the food and listen to the music. We were very disappointed! Three of us ordered the Rueben sandwich and all 3 had to send it back. After a few bites, we all said that is was not a Rueben and looked inside. There was some thin, greyish meat. We told the waitress that this was not corned beef-what was it? She asked the cook and he said he was trying to corn some beef and hadn't perfected it yet!! We told her they better take it off the menu. They did not charge us for the sandwiches. All three of us had the runs all night, probably from the "mystery meat". I think the place could be fun, but we will not go back, at least to eat.

Last night, four of us went to Las Miches to try the food and listen to the music. We were very disappointed! Three of us ordered the Rueben sandwich and all 3 had to send it back. After a few bites, we all said that is was not a Rueben and looked inside. There was some thin, greyish meat. We told the waitress that this was not corned beef-what was it? She asked the cook and he said he was trying to corn some beef and hadn't perfected it yet!! We told her they better take it off the menu. They did not charge us for the sandwiches. All three of us had the runs all night, probably from the "mystery meat". I think the place could be fun, but we will not go back, at least to eat.

Well, I'm curious: how can you have enough background to open a Deli (in Mexico, yet), and offer Ruebens on the menu of your restaurant, and not know how/be able to get corned beef.

Well, there's that. And if the patrons also got sick, that's two strikes. Don't think I'll be trying it any time soon. There are a couple of other places that do a good corned beef sammich..including Panino's. It's not the heart of L.A. or New York.......but they fill the corned beef need.

Hmmm. The burgers are good, so is the serano ham, the pastrami, and the brats. Not to mention the draft Negro Modelo. I don't think a fews bites of a sandwich of brined, slow-cooked meat will give you the runs. Food poisoning takes 24 hours to set in. What did you have for lunch? They did the right thing by not charging you. Sounds like they're straight up.

Hmmm. I don't think a fews bites of a sandwich of brined, slow-cooked meat will give you the runs. Food poisoning takes 24 hours to set in. What did you have for lunch? They did the right thing by not charging you. Sounds like they're straight up.

Being a food handler and taking many state tests you have no idea, it does not take 24 hours to get sick.

WOW! Sorry to hear about the bad experience with the "mystery meat". After reading the postings, it all made me wonder about food poisoning and how quickly the symptoms start after eating food that was infected with some kind of contaminate. Here's an excerpt I found online that seems pretty straight forward and thorough.

Safe Eating,

Valerie :D :D

Classic Food Poisoning Symptoms

It is important to keep in mind that there are many different bacteria, viruses and toxins that can cause food poisoning. Although most cause diarrhea and vomiting, they do have some characteristic symptoms that can help you identify what may have caused your sickness, such as:

Staphylococcus aureus food poisoning may happen when your child eats food contaminated with an enterotoxin (typically foods left at room temperature for too long), which quickly causes symptoms (within two to seven hours) including vomiting, watery diarrhea and either no fever or a low-grade fever. Fortunately, the symptoms usually go away as quickly as they came on, within 12 to 24 hours.

Salmonella food poisoning is fairly well known because of all of the recent Salmonella outbreaks. Symptoms of Salmonella food poisoning usually begin about 6 to 72 hours after exposure to this bacteria and include watery diarrhea, fever, cramping abdominal pain, nausea and vomiting. The symptoms typically last 4 to 7 days and usually go away without treatment.

E. coli O157 are a specific type of E. coli bacteria that can cause food poisoning with severe stomach cramps, bloody diarrhea and sometimes a low-grade fever. Although most children with E. coli O157 recover without treatment in 5 to 7 days, some develop a life-threatening condition called "hemolytic uremic syndrome" (HUS). Children can develop E. coli O157 infections about 1 to 10 days after eating contaminated meat products that are undercooked, especially hamburgers. Drinking raw milk, contaminated water and unpasteurized juice and having contact with farm animals are other risk factors.

Shigella is another bacteria that can cause bloody diarrhea, in addition to stomach cramps and high fever. Children can develop a Shigella infection (Shigellosis) about 1 or 2 days after eating food that has been contaminated with the Shigella bacteria, such as potato salad, milk, chicken and raw vegetables. Unlike most other causes of food poisoning, Shigellosis can be treated with antibiotics, although most of these infections do go away on their own in 5 to 7 days.

Campylobacter food poisoning is often associated with eating undercooked chicken and drinking raw milk, with symptoms developing about 2 to 5 days after exposure. Symptoms can include watery diarrhea, fever, abdominal cramps, nausea, muscle aches and headaches. Although symptoms usually go away in 7 to 10 days on their own, treatment with the antibiotic erythromycin reduces how long people are contagious.

Clostridium perfringens food poisoning is another bacteria that produces a toxin in food. Symptoms begin 8 to 22 hours after eating contaminated food, especially meats and gravy that are not prepared or stored properly, and include watery diarrhea and intense abdominal cramps, which can linger for about 24 hours.

Clostridium botulinum food poisoning or botulism, which produces spores and toxins that can contaminate vegetables and other foods that are preserved and canned at home, honey (which is why infants aren't supposed to eat honey) and some other foods. In addition to nausea, vomiting and abdominal cramps, children with botulism can have neurological symptoms, such as double vision, slurred speech, trouble swallowing and muscle weakness. Infants may have weakness, constipation and poor feeding. In both older children and infants, the muscle weakness can even affect their ability to breath.

Hepatitis A is a viral cause of food poisoning. Unlike most of the other causes of food poisoning, it is the only one for which there is a vaccine (kids get it starting at age 12 months) that can prevent it. Children can develop symptoms of Hepatitis A 10 to 50 days after eating contaminated water, vegetables, shellfish and foods contaminated by restaurant workers.

Bacillus cereus food poisoning leads to watery diarrhea and abdominal cramps about 6 to 15 hours after eating contaminated food, including meats, fish, vegetables and milk. Contaminated rice typically causes nausea and vomiting, but not diarrhea. With either type of symptoms, they usually go away in about 24 hours without treatment.

Norwalk virus is another virus that can cause food poisoning and is often associated with cruise ships. Children can develop Norwalk virus food poisoning after drinking contaminated water or eating contaminated food, including shellfish, salad ingredients, raw clams, raw oysters and other foods contaminated by sick restaurant workers.

Let's return to the thread - Las Miches

Been there two times recently for an early lunch. Learned that the (in?)famous "Chef Andrew" is in charge. He's been around a number of places over the recent years; first encountered him at Tom's Bar.

He is an adequate food preparer for basics. He apparently fancies himself as more, and seems to wind up shooting himself in the foot.

Our most recent visit at Las Miches resulted in adequate food. It was just past noon, and apparently the burners/grill needed to heat up as we waited much too long. The rare blue cheese burger I was assured I could have turned up with a slab of ordinary cheese and was medium. The fries had gone thru an inadequately hot vat.

I'm not in a hurry to go back. As we live in West Ajijic, I'm looking around. Haven't been there in a while, but I enjoyed the place across the stree, by the Waffle House; and Aurora's can be okay if you don't go for exotic. I enjoyed El Sarape, my wife was uncomfortable .... one never knows why and I respect that, felt the same in other places.

Just my opinon.

Where on Ocampo is this?

It's about 1/2 block east of Mannix on the lake side of the street. Had another rueben today....excellent. The only draw-back is that they're only open till noon as they're primarily a breakfast place that makes it's own corned beef. However, the owner told me that March 1st they're going back into the burger business??? I guess he did burgers somewhere before. They're going to stay open till 3pm. If the burger is as good as the rueben, can't wait!

Let's return to the thread - Las Miches Been there two times recently for an early lunch. Learned that the (in?)famous "Chef Andrew" is in charge. He's been around a number of places over the recent years; first encountered him at Tom's Bar.

Here's what I've learned: a few weeks ago, Frank's Deli/Las Miche was buying it's corned/beef/smoked meat/pastrami from Smitty, of Smitty's BBQ (across the highway in Riberas from Mom's restaurant, on the street going up from the highway). As Smitty points out, you can't make a Reuben until you've smoked a corned-beef brisket. So at one point, someone decided to try and save money, I guess, and make their own.

After partaking in a variety of Smitty's BBQ, I don't know why anyone would bother (Edit: making their own, that is; my apologies): he's a regular, reliable source of BBQ'd and smoked pork, beef, and sausage.

On a personal note, nothing cheeses me more than a restaurant where the chef isn't ready with his grille and his oil when the doors open. Part of the job is preparation -- not turning up at the same time as the customers. The popcorn should be ready when the movie tickets go on sale, ya know?

It's about 1/2 block east of Mannix on the lake side of the street. Had another rueben today....excellent. The only draw-back is that they're only open till noon as they're primarily a breakfast place that makes it's own corned beef. However, the owner told me that March 1st they're going back into the burger business??? I guess he did burgers somewhere before. They're going to stay open till 3pm. If the burger is as good as the rueben, can't wait!

The owner of the Early Bird used to own 60's in Paradise. After he sold it, I think there was an agreement that he wouldn't compete. Maybe it had a "sunset" clause? Well, hopefully there won't be any "Trouble in Paradise"! :rolleyes:

We really like the food at Early Bird but have stopped going there since the patio is covered with tarps and the owner insists on sitting at a table smoking. There is no where for the smoke to go and we find it very unpleasant. I wonder if he knows about the smoking ban in Jalisco. If anyone can post that he has stopped smoking in the restaurant we would be happy to return and become regulars.

We really like the food at Early Bird but have stopped going there since the patio is covered with tarps and the owner insists on sitting at a table smoking. There is no where for the smoke to go and we find it very unpleasant. I wonder if he knows about the smoking ban in Jalisco. If anyone can post that he has stopped smoking in the restaurant we would be happy to return and become regulars.

Maybe there ought to be a separate thread here about the Early Bird as the heading on this thread is Las Miches??

Las Miches.................we were thre this afternoon......................only arrechera, nothng else............... beer was cheap, but wine, no...................a nice afternoon with friends, perro. no mas. Not great.................sorry, we are done with Las Miches................

Archived