Chapala.com Webboard

Change in smoking laws in Jalisco?

vandaddio

The response of "go back where you came from" as a defense has to the lamest of the lame, but it is all too frequently employed on these forums. Can we put it on the same list as "far out, man" and "whatever"?

I agree, gringal!

The reasonable man adapts himself to the world; the unreasonable one persists in trying to adapt the world to himself. Therefore all progress depends on the unreasonable man.

--George Bernard Shaw, Maxims for Revolutionists

• Replies 72
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Is that a direct jab at my name[4 dogs]? Then i'm sure you would never eat from a street food stand. Well like I said this is Mexico,not the US where you seem to need a law to protect you from everything.Common sense, if your standing near the sewer and don't like the odor, MOVE.

Nop, it has nothing to do with your name or your dogs... let´s keep it civil, not personal.... I can tell you I do know this is Mexico, because is the country where I was born!!! so I´m not MOVING anywhere... well yes, I´ll move from those restorants packed with 4 legs clients!

This topic is just like cigarette smoke, the gift that keeps on giving, even when the topic has really changed. Will it never end? Haven't we all had our say? Should a new endless topic, that of forbidding dogs in restaurants, now be started? Of course it will morph into a discussion about smoking in restaurants so it won't really be about dogs in restaurants after all.

This topic is just like cigarette smoke, the gift that keeps on giving, even when the topic has really changed. Will it never end? Haven't we all had our say? Should a new endless topic, that of forbidding dogs in restaurants, now be started?

Yeah, but who cares if it's endless? Everybody gets a chance, anytime. That's what forums are all about. Or do we impose a "first 20 opinions only" rule?

Nop, it has nothing to do with your name or your dogs... let´s keep it civil, not personal.... I can tell you I do know this is Mexico, because is the country where I was born!!! so I´m not MOVING anywhere... well yes, I´ll move from those restorants packed with 4 legs clients!

Because you were born here,you may understand best. Smoking or not I don't really care, doesn't affect my choice of restaurant's. Point is,it irks me to hear the complaints about everything. The reason for being here should be for what Mexico is and not to change it into what you would like,or think it should be. So, you were born here. Does that mean you have lived here all your life,or were you fortunate enough to spend many prosperous years NOB?[doesn't matter] I have only had the opportunity to be here 15 years. I came here for what and the way it is. Change and progress is inevitable, so we deal with it. You want the best pastrami,go to the deli in NYC,the best Chinese maybe San Fran. Anyway this is not personal,and I hope you don't take it that way. I'm finished. Que tenga un buen dia!

You want the best pastrami,go to the deli in NYC,the best Chinese maybe San Fran.

Silly me. I assumed the best Chinese would come from China. . . (btw, I enjoyed the Chinese food when I WAS in China about 20 years ago, but agree that it's often very different than American-style Chinese.)

Because you were born here,you may understand best. Smoking or not I don't really care, doesn't affect my choice of restaurant's. Point is,it irks me to hear the complaints about everything. The reason for being here should be for what Mexico is and not to change it into what you would like,or think it should be. So, you were born here. Does that mean you have lived here all your life,or were you fortunate enough to spend many prosperous years NOB?[doesn't matter] I have only had the opportunity to be here 15 years. I came here for what and the way it is. Change and progress is inevitable, so we deal with it. You want the best pastrami,go to the deli in NYC,the best Chinese maybe San Fran. Anyway this is not personal,and I hope you don't take it that way. I'm finished. Que tenga un buen dia!

Yes, that means I´ve lived here my whole life, I wasn´t "fortuntate" enought to spend prosperous years anywhere else... to bad! I just go NOB for vacation and shopping as many mexicans! (doens´t matter). My point is YES I will avoid those restorants where there are animales (alive), inside because is forbidden, as smoking is.... Is just a metter that they are breaking the law. If animals and smokers will stay outside, fine. BUT in this particular breakfast place you see the parade of dogs crossing thru.... Te reinforcement of the law should be equal. Don´t you think? Igualmente, que tenga feliz fin de semana!

I thought the subject was smoking in resturatants... on that subject I talked with the folks at a Riberas resturant today and was informed they got a hefty multa (20,000 pesos) for allowing smoking and having ashtrays... they are all 'outside seating'. They believe the only legal and fine free way to have a smoking area is to have it indoors and seperate totally from anyone else and they aren't going to invest in that just to subject their employees to the toxic smoke. They don't allow smoking anywhere and I'd bet as the news gets around to others no one will... outside seating does not allow for smoking.

Guest RevImmigrant

the article in "The Reporter" said the law banned smoking indoors in restaurants, bars, etc. It did not say all smoking was banned in restaurants including in the outside seating. I suspect that it's like many of the laws here, i.e. not enforced for the most part. It will probably be enforced more here because all the gringo anti-smokers who will complain if it's not enforced.

the article in "The Reporter" said the law banned smoking indoors in restaurants, bars, etc. It did not say all smoking was banned in restaurants including in the outside seating. I suspect that it's like many of the laws here, i.e. not enforced for the most part. It will probably be enforced more here because all the gringo anti-smokers who will complain if it's not enforced.

I was truly surprised to hear from a restaurant employee that this particular restaurant was fined so severely for allowing smoking in one outdoor area that is so completely separated from the other outdoor areas. The employee said that the restaurant owner was told that smoking could occur only if the restaurant had a completely enclosed room where smoke could not reach non smoking tables under any circumstances. And who knows if inspectors will also fine other restaurants that allow outdoor smoking. The joys of living in Mexico... one just never knows.

I wonder if the following thoughts have occurred to some of our determined smokers, i.e.

(1) the laws passed re smoking were not created by Gringo ex-pats, but by our Mexican hosts.

(2)What personal harm to you would result by simply obeying the restrictions graciously instead of complaining that they exist?

(It's not like you're being prevented from doing something that's good for you.) :rolleyes:

I wonder if the following thoughts have occurred to some of our determined smokers, i.e.

(1) the laws passed re smoking were not created by Gringo ex-pats, but by our Mexican hosts.

(2)What personal harm to you would result by simply obeying the restrictions graciously instead of complaining that they exist?

(It's not like you're being prevented from doing something that's good for you.) :rolleyes:

My concern is that restaurant owners will now start getting huge fines because smokers do continue smoking where it isn't permitted. Perhaps the restaurants should know better, i.e., know the law and the possible fines. ($20,000, yikes!) However, the laws and regs all seem so vague here that I have to believe that Sunrise really thought they were following the rules by having the smoking and non smoking areas separated by several meters. When I talked to the owner of Brissis he thought it was permitted to allow smoking outside when it appears it isn't. Many owners couldn't afford such a hefty fine.

Guest RevImmigrant

It appears that the law here is rather unclear and dependent on the views of the inspectors. Perhaps they're using the smoking ban to generate income for the state in the way of fines. In Germany it's very clear: inside no smoking, outside smoking in those states that have smoking bans. When I left last year, you could still smoke in restaurants in Poland, but they had areas for non-smoking; some individual restaurant owners chose to be all non-smoking indoors, but that was not mandated by law.

If the restaurant I suspect was involved with the latest fine is the one I think it is, they used to have inside seating, including some upstairs.

What happened to it?

It may be difficult for non-smokers to understand, but many of us who smoke are uncomfortable sitting in the non-smoking areas where we cannot smoke as we wait for our food or have a cigarette after we eat. Why should I spend my money in someplace that makes me uncomfortable? I prefer to eat at home rather than go to a non-smoking restaurant since I'm perfectly capable of cooking a good meal.

Why are American non-smokers so much more intolerant than European non-smokers?

Could it be that studies show that second and third hand smoke is just as damaging as actual smoking? Could it be that some of us, myself included, have lung damage from second and third hand smoke we were exposed to by smokers and not ourselves? Could it be that I nearly died from cigarette smoke inhalation a few years ago from smoke coming from the next table when I suffered a sudden attack of asthma brought on by the smoke inhalation? Such a mystery.

Why are American non-smokers so much more intolerant than European non-smokers?

They aren't.

About 30 years ago when I lived in Munich, there was a lawsuit brought by a non-smoker who lived in a condominium, against the smoker tenant who lived below him. The rationale was that the smoke was infiltrating his condo from below.

He won the lawsuit, and the smoker was forbidden to smoke in his own domicile.

:blink:

They aren't.

About 30 years ago when I lived in Munich, there was a lawsuit brought by a non-smoker who lived in a condominium, against the smoker tenant who lived below him. The rationale was that the smoke was infiltrating his condo from below.

He won the lawsuit, and the smoker was forbidden to smoke in his own domicile.

:blink:

Interesting tale. And, when someone brings up the subject of what is done in Germany or Poland re smoking, it has nothing to do with what Mexican law is. We're here, not there.

Now, I'll hop up on my mini-soap box and, with the best intentions, suggest that smokers have much to gain and nothing to lose by quitting. There are many products available to help ease the pain. Then, you would no longer be uncomfortable in environments where smoking is not permitted. Just saying.

Archived