Chapala.com Webboard

US Federal Agent Killed Ambush San Louis Potisi

DonMac

Ah, ok. I thought piolin was a dj in mexico. I've never listened to him, just heard of him.

It may not have been pre planned but there's NO DOUBT they knew who they were with the license plates and the statements they allegedly made before shooting. THAT also makes it suspiciously possibly that it was pre planned..........otherwise they would have let them go. The statement that it ecalated when the agents resisted sounds like an attempt to put blame on the agents and there is no proof of that and even so it still would be none of their fault.

It MUST have been a roadblock. Why do I say that? Because the comments prior to open firing

said the gunmen made comments before they fired indicating they knew who their targets were

would seem to indicate the vehicle was stopped with the window open. So if not pre planned then they killed them because of who they were, otherwise they would not have.

I think as you say you are rationalizing and I think that's normal in many cases, but the cartels are not just targeting bad guys. It's just that the mexican gobierno would have everyone believe that. Label it narco vs narco and wash their hands of it. I don't believe everything I hear on the televisa noticias.

Either way I hope you are right, I think it will get a lot worse before it gets better though.

Hasta luego.

• Replies 60
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Again, you are applying logic to the situation. Not that it really matters, but I am curious what you know about the Zetas that causes you to believe this was a pre-meditated, planned killing? If you know more about the Zetas than I think you do then I apologize, but this has all the earmarks of a screw-up and very few of an organized coordinated operation. Contrast the Zapata killing with the assassination of Rodolfo Torre Cantu, who would be the governor of Tamaulipas today if a group of Zetas hadn't slaughtered him and several of his aides a week before the election last June. More recently they ambushed and killed the new head of municipal police in Nuevo Laredo,Manuel Farfán, and two of his aides on their way home from work. Both these hits were done by a dedicated group that have military training--guys like Tweety and his crew are not members.

Anyway I am not sure why this is even important. I was simply passing along what was being reported and commented that it sounds plausible to me. But if someone else thinks it was a planned event fine.

True, I'm applying logic, but I'm not implying it was a premeditated planned killing. I'm saying they had to know who the guys were before they pulled the trigger, the agents identified themselves. I may be wrong, but the reports I read previously indicated a road block--it wasn't point and shoot. I just can't see it as a "mistake." And I think any move by the Mexican government to imply it was, is an attempt to duck flack from the US over the incident. I have read material surrounding the assasination of Cantu, and know about the Zeta military training.

You can't take any statements from Mexican politicians at face value, they fell that all that hear their message have the average educational level of their populace which is abysmal.

Calderon blames the drug problem in Mexico on lack of coordination of US intelligence agencies, not his own people's lack of education and values and wanting the quick buck.

Jalisco governor Emilio said the grenade attack a few months back in Vallarta was an accident, the kid was just playing with the grenade and it fell from his hands.

The Mexican politicians feel that people that listen to them are toddlers and perhaps some have that intellect but not the majority. Lord have mercy.

True, I'm applying logic, but I'm not implying it was a premeditated planned killing. I'm saying they had to know who the guys were before they pulled the trigger, the agents identified themselves. I may be wrong, but the reports I read previously indicated a road block--it wasn't point and shoot. I just can't see it as a "mistake." And I think any move by the Mexican government to imply it was, is an attempt to duck flack from the US over the incident. I have read material surrounding the assasination of Cantu, and know about the Zeta military training.

I never meant to imply that the shooting was a case of pure mistaken identity and that this group of Zetas thought they were shooting two Gulf cartel sicarios when they pulled the trigger. I just don't believe it was a planned, coordinated attack that was designed to kill two US government agents and I offered the Cantu and Farfan assassinations in contrast. I think they didn't really know who they had stopped until after the fact and the situation escalated out of control for reasons we will probably never know. And the official statements do sound like spin.

If you live in the lakeside communities you just read about the Zetas. In Tamaulipas we actually have to live around their activities. We had this unpleasant little reminder of that reality last night. My wife, daughter and I passed through this intersection around 7 last night on the way home after eating out. I am thankful we weren't travelling about an hour later.

Paseo Colon

People lets dare to venture into a different direction of this mind-boggling conundrum. So let’s move out of this box and shift our brains in a different direction. Just for the sake of argument, say one wanted to get the full weight of the US government involved in a situation (very quickly) what could one do to achieve this end? Hmmmm…hey I got it…murder a government agent. I will, for the sake of this post, assume that most of drug-lords are smart. So WHY would these ‘drug-lords’ be willing to bring the full wrath of the US government upon their heads…not so much! However, if someone wanted to clean up the cartels in Mexico, like say the Mexican Government, then what a despicably, but easy opportunity to get full force of the US government to do their dirty work for them. Then the Mexican officials can stay on the drug-lords payroll and claim they have no control over the situation.

Just a different thought...

and so why would the agents have rolled down their bullet proof window? Guess we will never know -

and why is the US going on a drug cleanup this week? So last week it was okay for the drug dealers to do business in the US - but not this week? Wow!!

http://hosted2.ap.or...400deb98e516a37

WASHINGTON (AP) — Federal, state and local authorities conducted a massive sweep Thursday of suspected Mexican drug cartel members in the United States in a widespread domestic response to the killing of a U.S. agent in Mexico last week.

"We are taking a stand and we are sending a message back to the cartels that we will not tolerate the murder of a U.S. agent, or any U.S. official," said Carl Pike, assistant special agent in charge of the Drug Enforcement Administration's special operations division.

Pike said the nationwide roundup, which began Wednesday and was expected to continue into Friday, is targeting suspected criminals with ties to any Mexican drug cartel to try to disrupt drug trafficking operations in the United States.

By Thursday morning, agents in areas including Atlanta, St. Louis, Denver, Detroit, San Antonio, San Diego, Chicago and New Jersey had seized more than $4.5 million in cash and nearly 20 guns, arrested more than 100 people and confiscated about 23 pounds of methamphetamine, 107 kilos of cocaine, 5 pounds of heroin and 300 pounds of marijuana at more than 150 different locations.

Immigration and Customs Enforcement agent Jaime Zapata was killed, and fellow ICE agent Victor Avila was wounded in Mexico on Feb. 15 when the Chevy Suburban they were in was run off the road by at least two vehicles loaded with armed men. Authorities have said the agents, who were driving in a fortified sport utility vehicle with diplomatic license plates, identified themselves as U.S. diplomats in the moments before the shooting.

Mexican authorities have arrested one person in connection with the brazen attack, which is believed to be the work of members of Mexico's Zetas gang. Former Mexican special forces soldiers are among its members.

"We are basically going out to disrupt narcotics distribution here in the United States no matter what cartel their allegiance is to," Pike said. "It would be futile to send a message back to one cartel when they all are just as guilty."

and so why would the agents have rolled down their bullet proof window? Guess we will never know -

and why is the US going on a drug cleanup this week? So last week it was okay for the drug dealers to do business in the US - but not this week? Wow!!

http://hosted2.ap.or...400deb98e516a37

WASHINGTON (AP) — Federal, state and local authorities conducted a massive sweep Thursday of suspected Mexican drug cartel members in the United States in a widespread domestic response to the killing of a U.S. agent in Mexico last week.

"We are taking a stand and we are sending a message back to the cartels that we will not tolerate the murder of a U.S. agent, or any U.S. official," said Carl Pike, assistant special agent in charge of the Drug Enforcement Administration's special operations division.

Pike said the nationwide roundup, which began Wednesday and was expected to continue into Friday, is targeting suspected criminals with ties to any Mexican drug cartel to try to disrupt drug trafficking operations in the United States.

By Thursday morning, agents in areas including Atlanta, St. Louis, Denver, Detroit, San Antonio, San Diego, Chicago and New Jersey had seized more than $4.5 million in cash and nearly 20 guns, arrested more than 100 people and confiscated about 23 pounds of methamphetamine, 107 kilos of cocaine, 5 pounds of heroin and 300 pounds of marijuana at more than 150 different locations.

Immigration and Customs Enforcement agent Jaime Zapata was killed, and fellow ICE agent Victor Avila was wounded in Mexico on Feb. 15 when the Chevy Suburban they were in was run off the road by at least two vehicles loaded with armed men. Authorities have said the agents, who were driving in a fortified sport utility vehicle with diplomatic license plates, identified themselves as U.S. diplomats in the moments before the shooting.

Mexican authorities have arrested one person in connection with the brazen attack, which is believed to be the work of members of Mexico's Zetas gang. Former Mexican special forces soldiers are among its members.

"We are basically going out to disrupt narcotics distribution here in the United States no matter what cartel their allegiance is to," Pike said. "It would be futile to send a message back to one cartel when they all are just as guilty."

MadMax is spot on. One Fed agent killed=massive round up of money, drugs, guns, etc over a 3 day period in over 150 locations and at least 8 cities. What was US Gov doing all the previous weeks and months and the following weeekend and the days afterwards? If they can do that in 3 days, imagine what could be done if thay did the same on a daily basis. Why does it take the killing of a Fed agent to bring this kind of action?

These drugs travel to the US from as far away as South America, traveling thru Colombia, Panama, Costa Rica, Nicaragua, Honduras, and Guatemala, each country probably adding to the take. Why is it that it seems that only in Mexico do we have reports of gangland slaying, beheadings, dismemberments, etc? I'm sure I'm naive, and although I don't read or speak any foreign languages and can't read their respective newpapers I do link onto expat forums in several of the aforementioned countrys and I don't seem to get any of these types of reports. Also, it seems that once the drugs get to the US they just disappear-no gangland slayings, no beheadings or dismemberments, etc. Everything done in an orderly manner. What's up with that?

People lets dare to venture into a different direction of this mind-boggling conundrum. So let’s move out of this box and shift our brains in a different direction. Just for the sake of argument, say one wanted to get the full weight of the US government involved in a situation (very quickly) what could one do to achieve this end? Hmmmm…hey I got it…murder a government agent. I will, for the sake of this post, assume that most of drug-lords are smart. So WHY would these ‘drug-lords’ be willing to bring the full wrath of the US government upon their heads…not so much! However, if someone wanted to clean up the cartels in Mexico, like say the Mexican Government, then what a despicably, but easy opportunity to get full force of the US government to do their dirty work for them. Then the Mexican officials can stay on the drug-lords payroll and claim they have no control over the situation.

Just a different thought...

A different thought for sure, but, one that could explain it all! Good post.

MadMax is spot on. One Fed agent killed=massive round up of money, drugs, guns, etc over a 3 day period in over 150 locations and at least 8 cities. What was US Gov doing all the previous weeks and months and the following weeekend and the days afterwards? If they can do that in 3 days, imagine what could be done if thay did the same on a daily basis. Why does it take the killing of a Fed agent to bring this kind of action?

These drugs travel to the US from as far away as South America, traveling thru Colombia, Panama, Costa Rica, Nicaragua, Honduras, and Guatemala, each country probably adding to the take. Why is it that it seems that only in Mexico do we have reports of gangland slaying, beheadings, dismemberments, etc? I'm sure I'm naive, and although I don't read or speak any foreign languages and can't read their respective newpapers I do link onto expat forums in several of the aforementioned countrys and I don't seem to get any of these types of reports. Also, it seems that once the drugs get to the US they just disappear-no gangland slayings, no beheadings or dismemberments, etc. Everything done in an orderly manner. What's up with that?

What's going on in Mexico is a turf war between rival cartels and splinter groups. The action in the USA took months to come to conclusion. It didn't happen because an agent was killed in Mexico.

Archived