Chapala.com Webboard

US Federal Agent Killed Ambush San Louis Potisi

DonMac

• Replies 60
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Hmn.....wonder if US Agencies would allow Mexican agents to carry guns on US soil. My guess is...NO.

Valerie :unsure:

I do not want to guess what the future holds but based on the following article will there come a day when we can not drive to Laredo?

http://www.borderlandbeat.com/2011/02/mexico-risks-losing-large-areas-to-drug.html

Unless the US and / or UN steps in I do not see any improvement. A dramatic shift is required to address the narco issue. Comparing even a year ago to now it makes one worried about Mexico's future. How sad as this country has so much to offer and the people deserve so much better. However, I will still apply for citizenship at end of year but may decide against house building.

A response by Mexican government officials to the shootings of US agents: Mexican officials also condemned the shootings, saying their implications could be grim.

And to those who suggest the issue goes away with the problem solved in the US as it pertains to drugs, I gently recommend you read all you can about narco activity including the article link I posted here. Become educated on the subject and you will be shocked to the extent of the narco tentacles be it Mexico, US, Canada, Europe, Africa, Australia etc etc. and the diversity of their operations. This is what leads the intelligent to ask they be declared terrorist which they are.

It will get worse before it gets better. This may be the tipping point. Mexico doesn't want to admit it really cannot control things, too much pride and too many high level officials on the narco payrolls. Also a history of corrupt officials partnering with gringos to the detriment of the country. Hopefully Mexico will swallow their pride and admit they have a problem they cannot adequately address nor control and allow foreign consulting by military and law enforcement officials if not also by intelligence officials who can terminate those involved with extreme prejudice.

I'm not going anywhere, this is my home and I have a bright future here.

Why not stop; the drug problem at home, and stop U.S. criminals illegally selling guns to the cartels. Guess what, problem gone, and we don't get shot with our own guns

The US being the primary source of guns is really old news - and lately is being disproved.

As for the problem gone? Hardly. You imply that the US is the only market - and that is not true.

So guess what - problem "not gone"

And no - I don't have a solution - but you cannot simplify the problem to the above

It may be "old news", but that doesn't make it any less factual. People in tent cities from floods in India are still there, even though no one covers it as news anymore.

More importantly, "lately is being disproved": I don't see any information like that. It may be being argued, which is typical of right vs. left, but that's all.

Disproved by whom?

The US being the primary source of guns is really old news - and lately is being disproved.

As for the problem gone? Hardly. You imply that the US is the only market - and that is not true.

So guess what - problem "not gone"

And no - I don't have a solution - but you cannot simplify the problem to the above

It may be "old news", but that doesn't make it any less factual. People in tent cities from floods in India are still there, even though no one covers it as news anymore.

More importantly, "lately is being disproved": I don't see any information like that. It may be being argued, which is typical of right vs. left, but that's all.

sorry chunkybutt - guess we get our news in different places. The facts no longer support the statement that most of the guns in mexico come from the US.

sorry chunkybutt - guess we get our news in different places. The facts no longer support the statement that most of the guns in mexico come from the US.

Can you provide a reference for your contention?

Something that is from a reputable news organization.

Not from the opinion page of any newspaper.

Not something from NRA.

Real news report please.

Why not stop; the drug problem at home, and stop U.S. criminals illegally selling guns to the cartels. Guess what, problem gone, and we don't get shot with our own guns

Huh? Like Nancy Reagan said --just say "no?" You got a plan?

Thanks for the reference.

This chart, I believe is the same info the NRA provides and it IS based on US Gov data. It just doesn't address the total picture.

The words in the Stratfor document are more clear. And I dont disagree with them. I suggest that intereested parties read the documnent from Stratfor.

Here are some of my thoughts about the chart and the similar NRA provided information:

First, this is 2008 data.

Second, there is nothing that says all guns in Mexico were checked. We don't know how many existed then or now.

Third, there is nothing that says all guns that were submitted were checked and traces attempted. In fact the Stratfor document indicates that many (not a "few", not "some") have serial numbers missing or obliterated or unusable and cannot be traced.

Fourth, there is nothing that says the guns that were not successfully traced to the US were not from the US.

While the chart is technically accurate, it leaves much unasked and unanswered. The document more accurately represents the data.

Thanks for the reference.. . . there is nothing that says the guns that were not successfully traced to the US were not from the US.. . . .While the chart is technically accurate, it leaves much unasked and unanswered. The document more accurately represents the data.

The premise of the article is that the data on which the 90% is based is not sufficient to accurately draw that conclusion. The article also discusses particular types of weapons and alternate points of origin for them. Whatever the percentage, this administration given the issue higher priority and stepped up enforcement despite budget constraints in a down economy. That is evident to anyone living on the border. In any case the US as source of the weapons is more of a red herring than an answer in discussions about what needs to be done. It's a relatively small part of the overall picture in my opinion.

Perhaps the guns are from the same source the grenades are which is not the US.

Archived