Chapala.com Webboard

News from Reuters

deroyam

You've certainly seen your share, and I agree we are seemingly more protected in our 'enclaves'.

But you've mistaken my intent, I think: I'm defending this country against those NOB who would paint our current problems with the brush of death. I'm trying to help point out to those people who insist that staying in the U.S. is safer than living here, have it completely wrong.

I disagree. Mexico is something like the 6th most dangerous country for violent crime (2009) while the US was something like #24. In the last two years violent crime has gotten worse in Mexico. The US is not in a terrorist narco war, and Mexico is. Though I'd take bets on the US entering into this one because Mexico cannot afford to go the way of Colombia. But quien sabe?

Arroyo Grande gave some on-the-ground accounts you should take into consideration, and Privado made a very good statement that seems right on the button. I have a friends who were stopped at gunpoint (shooting over their heads)driving back from the coast in Michoacan. They were among several drivers who were stopped, including a bus, and were lucky to get away with their lives, and without their car being burned. In the US I lived through the Watts riots and Vietnam angry protests, and in a city where periodically the blacks decided to have shootouts. In these incidences the law took control. In Mexico much of the law doesn't have any control and some of the law are in bed with the narcs. The press here, for reasons I can only imagine, does not print everything that happens. There may be more socially dangerous places to live, but at this point, I don't think the US is one of them.

• Replies 55
  • Created
  • Last Reply

2 US Special Agents just shot and wounded when driving between Mexico City and Monterrey.

http://www.station.lu/?p=edito&a=external&id=107802

Sooner or later the US or UN will have to intervene as this spirals out of control. The narcos are terrorists.

Privado is very well connected to US embassy and Canadian consulate staff and I suggest you read her posts closely.

I agree. Janet Napolitano said one agent died from his injuries, and second agent, shot in the arm and leg, is in stable condition.

"I'm deeply saddened by the news that earlier today, two U.S. Immigration and Customs Enforcement (ICE) special agents assigned to the ICE Attache office in Mexico City were shot in the line of duty while driving between Mexico City and Monterrey by unknown assailants," she said.

"Let me be clear: any act of violence against our ICE personnel — or any DHS personnel — is an attack against all those who serve our nation and put their lives at risk for our safety," Napolitano said. "We remain committed in our broader support for Mexico's efforts to combat violence within its borders."

Arroyo Grande gave some on-the-ground accounts you should take into consideration, and Privado made a very good statement that seems right on the button. I have a friends who were stopped at gunpoint (shooting over their heads)driving back from the coast in Michoacan. 
Interestingly, they aren't the only ones who've witnessed violence first-hand. I have, several times, back in my hometown. So your point is moot. But hey: defend Mexico, don't defend Mexico; please make up your mind what you would prefer I do.

Well said Gringal. Privado used to live Lakeside and since moving to Guadalajara has a condescending attitude towards Lakesiders. Unbeknownst to her many of us read the Mexican press and watch local television. Such is the way of "Nuevo Tapatios." No one knows everything, but many know much.

Hey Atlas:

"this is not the place to make personal comments against those you don't agree with or because you don't happen to like their opinion or topic"

That statement is from the webforum rules.

This has been pointed out before but bears repeating: Mexico would do well to aknowledge that these narcos are terrorists and seek an international designation of them as same. This would open up new avenues to attack them through the international community, via such agencies as INTERPOL and international banking regulations which can lead to confiscation of their overseas bank accounts. It would bring more resources to the fight.

I agree totally Dan. Technically, the narcos are terrorists and declaring them so would be a huge step in right direction.

Some of us have differing political views but in the end practically every last one of us would hate to leave Mexico. To us the good outweighs the bad. The beauty, the people, the weather, the ease with which we can come and go, the food, the fact we can live here legally based on relatively low income and even the challenges to many of us are a plus. I know I will never leave.

And, more importantly, we want what is best for Mexico and Mexicans.

So, to those who see some of us as being alarmed and worried about Mexico's current state we do so from a perspective of concern for Mexico. Anyone in their right mind and informed has to have some warning bells going off. Most of us are not naive and realize some precautions are in order but more importantly we worry for the country Mexico and its' citizens.

By having a forum such as this we appreciate the opportunity as we gain perspective and insight.

Viva Mexico

Archived