Chapala.com Webboard

American chicken available at Costco

monica40

The new Costco on Lopez Mateos has Kirkland brand american chicken available in the freezer section. Boneless, skinless thighs 3kg for $163 pesos, boneless skinless breast 3kg for $220 pesos and whole legs and wings(don't remember price).

This chicken is all brined, very tasty (tried the boneless skinless thighs and breast) and very worth your while. Comparably priced with fresh mexican chicken, but IMHO much better.

I like Mexican just fine if not better.

Agree!! In fact, Jalisco is famous for its chickens. In other parts of Mexico, I've run into some scrawny pollos, but not here. And let's not forget the eggs.......the eggs here are so much better tasting than in the US.

As stated, in my opinion, much better tasting. I find mexican chicken to be tough, dry, and gamey. And yes, I do know how to cook chicken properly - I like my chicken JUST done, not overdone. No matter how many times I try mex chicken, it turns out tough and dry.

Don't know where you're getting your Mexichicken but if you get Bochoco from Puritan Poultry you'd not have that problem. The birds are big and fat. Way better than any I've had NOB short of farm raised.

Don't know where you're getting your Mexichicken but if you get Bochoco from Puritan Poultry you'd not have that problem. The birds are big and fat. Way better than any I've had NOB short of farm raised.

I have had some of the best chicken here in Mexico since I left England in 1967 and had them fresh from my father's farm. I would never buy US or Canadian chicken if Mexican was available and never frozen.

DaveP

It's a mystery to me how a frozen (god knows how long ago!) Costco chicken could be better tasting than the plump yellow ones I buy from the Joco Mercado chicken lady that was butchered in the morning and on my plate that night for dinner. These chickens actually have texture and taste! Unlike the white mushy ones I used to buy in the US.

And eggs! Bright orange yokes, creamy and rich. . .

Different strokes.

' While the yolk is not an indicator of nutritive value, there is mounting evidence that true pasture-raised hens produce more nutritious eggs overall. The ENC, however, states that “free-range eggs do not differ from regular eggs in terms of nutritional value or cholesterol level.” '

http://www.chow.com/food-news/55099/does-the-color-of-an-egg-yolk-indicate-how-nutritious-it-is/

While I agree with all the comments about Mexican chickens, even though I don't know anything about how English clucking ones taste, trying to convince some folks from NOB that this is so, is like trying to convince all the Mexicans and Mexican-Americans NOB not to buy products available up there that come from Mexico. An exercise in futility.

Perception is stronger than reality in many cases, when it comes to food.

It's also curious to note how many foreigners are very loyal to Mexican products, such as chickens, but change their tune when it comes to other items, such as TVs, vehicles, computers, etc.

Was it Octavio Paz who said--"opinions talk--money walks"? :)

It's a mystery to me how a frozen (god knows how long ago!) Costco chicken could be better tasting than the plump yellow ones I buy from the Joco Mercado chicken lady that was butchered in the morning and on my plate that night for dinner. These chickens actually have texture and taste! Unlike the white mushy ones I used to buy in the US.

And eggs! Bright orange yokes, creamy and rich. . .

Different strokes.

Rite on Marilyn, no better chicken anywhere.

' While the yolk is not an indicator of nutritive value, there is mounting evidence that true pasture-raised hens produce more nutritious eggs overall. The ENC, however, states that “free-range eggs do not differ from regular eggs in terms of nutritional value or cholesterol level.” '

http://www.chow.com/food-news/55099/does-the-color-of-an-egg-yolk-indicate-how-nutritious-it-is/

I read from the article you indicated: The ENC, however, states that “free-range eggs do not differ from regular eggs in terms of nutritional value or cholesterol level.”

So "free-range eggs" are not "regular eggs"? Does that mean they're cube-shaped or what?

:lol: :lol: :lol:

I read from the article you indicated: The ENC, however, states that “free-range eggs do not differ from regular eggs in terms of nutritional value or cholesterol level.”

So "free-range eggs" are not "regular eggs"? Does that mean they're cube-shaped or what?

:lol: :lol: :lol:

As a health professional who worked with the CDC on health promotion/disease prevention programs it is important to note that the eggs in Mexico contain minimal or no amounts of salmonella vs the ones found in USA, particularly those raised in a free environment. This is due to lack of cross cotamination in the inhumane, crowded mega chicken raising facilities found in the US. Consequently, most of the Mexican eggs stay fresher, can be eaten with a soft yolk and can be kept longer. Of course there are some mega egg factories in Mexico as well, but they are still not the majority like in the US. I was shocked when I moved here to see that the eggs were often not refrigerated which in the US causes the salmonella content to increase significantly. This is also true with chicken contaminated with salmonella which must be cooked extremely well at a high temp to kill it. While I still only buy refrigerated eggs and my chicken at Puritan Chicken as a personal choice, I am not as concerned while eating eggs here which are not hard boiled or fully hard fried.

Back in the good old USA, no matter where you bought your eggs, the whole kitchen ended up with a nauseating smell after cooking them. The exception was the fella at the weekly farmers' market, whose eggs were from another world; tasted great and no stink. Here in Mexico, you can buy your eggs anywhere from the corner tienda to the supermarket and they taste way better .....and no stinky kitchen. The chickens are tastier, too.

I happen to know about those chicken producing places in the states, and it's almost enough to make me turn into a tofu eater. Well, almost.

While I agree with all the comments about Mexican chickens, even though I don't know anything about how English clucking ones taste, trying to convince some folks from NOB that this is so, is like trying to convince all the Mexicans and Mexican-Americans NOB not to buy products available up there that come from Mexico. An exercise in futility.

Perception is stronger than reality in many cases, when it comes to food.

It's also curious to note how many foreigners are very loyal to Mexican products, such as chickens, but change their tune when it comes to other items, such as TVs, vehicles, computers, etc.

Was it Octavio Paz who said--"opinions talk--money walks"? :)

OK, again, I will state that I have indeed tried mexican chicken, from many sources, cooked many different ways, and again, I will state that I find them dry and tough............as for car, bought in Mexico, TV, bought in Mexico, etc. etc. I do not have anything against most things Mexican except some of their meat!! Love the molida de res and milanesa de bola.

OK?!

OK, again, I will state that I have indeed tried mexican chicken, from many sources, cooked many different ways, and again, I will state that I find them dry and tough............as for car, bought in Mexico, TV, bought in Mexico, etc. etc. I do not have anything against most things Mexican except some of their meat!! Love the molida de res and milanesa de bola.

OK?!

I guess you've just been unlucky, 'cause the only dry chickens I've had here are the ones I've overcooked. When I want a pre-cooked, however, I do prefer the flattened BBQd type over the rotisserie; they stay much moister. And the dark meat is moister still.

As others have pointed out to the OP, Mexican chickens are a bit tougher because they get to run around some and are most often fully mature and sizable (2 kilos is common) before being slaughtered. Moreover you can easily buy them freshly killed, rather than being pumped full of water and other less savory stuff as is the rule with U.S. supermarket chicken. You're confusing water-logged, salt-water-infused and pumped-full-of-chemicals with "tender."

As for Mexican beef and pork, much though not all (of the beef, especially) is still grass fed as cows are supposed to be, and most is sold immediately after slaughter without any aging. Like the chickens, these meats are much leaner than their U.S. counterparts and tougher, unless aged. That's why long, slow braises of the cheaper cuts are so delicious, and why arrachera marinata is the best choice for steak. In choosing, or recommending, U.S. meat you're voting for more expensive, far less natural, and much less healthy meat. When I go back to the U.S. the chicken and eggs, especially, even at the most expensive grocery stores such as Whole Foods or at farmer's market, make me long for the far more flavorful and infinitely less expensive products you can at any carniceria or polleria here. Only those habituated to U.S. supermarket meat and unaware of the horrible conditions under which the animals are raised and slaughtered would pine for U.S. stuff.

Well, folks, I've figured out the problem: Those poor little Mexican chickens just aren't getting the advantage of all the hormones and other goodies that their more well off U.S. cousins are getting.

This could be the final answer to "why did the chicken cross the border?" :rolleyes:

Well, folks, I've figured out the problem: Those poor little Mexican chickens just aren't getting the advantage of all the hormones and other goodies that their more well off U.S. cousins are getting. :rolleyes:

....which may also be the final answer to "why did the chicken cross the border"?

OK?!

OK with me. I believe in freedom of choice....and opinions. But opinions are bound to draw "opiniones contrarias"--es la vida. In Mexico, Mexicans and others, love to disagree.

Well, folks, I've figured out the problem: Those poor little Mexican chickens just aren't getting the advantage of all the hormones and other goodies that their more well off U.S. cousins are getting. :rolleyes:

....which may also be the final answer to "why did the chicken cross the border"?

Why? If the chicken was illegal, maybe it's to collect all that welfare waiting for him on the other side. Don't know if this is actually so, but that's what NOB chickens think. :)

Archived