Chapala.com Webboard

Another reason not to use the mail

jailbait

About an hour ago we happened to look out the window of our house,and we saw three men in their 20's stealing the mail from our neighbor's mailbox. They took several envelopes out of the box and tore them open. We assume they were looking for money. They then tore up everything,threw it all on the sidewalk and went on their way. We called the cops but by the time they arrived the perps had long disappeared.

I use the Mexican mail system. Last year it seemed okay as it was taking about 2 to 3 weeks to get mail to and from Canada. But the last few months it has really gone downhill. Lately it has been taking an average of 6 weeks to and from Canada-sometimes up to 8 weeks. I get home delivery which seems to delay it a bit. One day last week I got 5 letters. They are stamped when they arrive in Ajijic. Some of these 5 had been stamped 5 and 6 days earlier in Ajijic. It took as long to get them from Ajijic to San Juna Cosala as it would have taken them to get all across Canada.

I talked to the US Consulate and since where I live they do not bring Mexican mail I need to pay a private mail service if I want to have mail delivered in Mexico. I still prefer living in Mexico +16 years now.

I can't say I'm tickled when I pay for my box at Handy Mail: however, I get the mail. It's worth it. At our house, there is no mailbox since the gate is a big slider, so the mailman just tosses the CFE bills (which they won't deliver to HandyMail) over the gate and sometimes.....not at all. Sometimes, they go to a neighbor; or not.

There is a certain irony about that little bird they use for a logo, but I suspect the carrier pigeon would be more reliable.

Love it here anyway........but suggest you rent a mailbox if you want most of your mail to actually arrive. :rolleyes:

Last year the Mexican mail system improved remarkedly. There were times when mail from my mail forwarding service located in Texas arrived in a week. Unheard of. Sometime later last year once again mail started taking forever to arrive. Lately it has taken nearly two months for my mail to get here. Everything gets here though. I don't know what has changed.

Last year the Mexican mail system improved remarkedly. There were times when mail from my mail forwarding service located in Texas arrived in a week. Unheard of. Sometime later last year once again mail started taking forever to arrive. Lately it has taken nearly two months for my mail to get here. Everything gets here though. I don't know what has changed.

I have had good luck at this address getting mail delivered from Amazon (books). I did order more than a few separately (textbooks and cookbooks) - and on the first delivery in mid January I did tip the kid/guy that delivers the mail in this area. And received two books the other day - and he actually tossed them over the gate - I was more than pleasantly surprised that I did not have to go to Chapala to pick them up. Delivery seems to take 3 to 4 weeks - perhaps a few days more - and the shipping cost per book is a palatable $9.98.

I was thinking of putting up a mailbox - but guess I not after reading the above post - now if the carrier will just keep tossing the books over the gate!!!

• 2 weeks later...

Here in Zapopan I receive regualr mail delivery every week from the US- Bank Statments, Pension statements, from Calif. etc- also from Mexican bank statments, Cfe, Siapa etc no problems

Since it has never been a problem, I asked my kids to send me renewal of 4 prescription drugs to me via the mail- thinking it might just pass without a problem- my daughter added an envelope with renewal of a credit card to the USMail padded envelope- that was last October !!! NEVER RECEIVED ANYTHING- not even a notice from customs regarding the envelope - so beware if on what you ask to be sent from the US.

still continue receive my normal mail every week-

My parents scan and send me my mail, anything else gets sent Fedex or with people coming down, I don't trust the mail however I have received things in 2 weeks, people sent me a copy of a newspaper article I was featured in, came in a larger manilla envelope and an appellate brief I authored, came in a thick package all without issue and sent without telling me!

I don't understand why one needs to receive mail at all? I go back to US x2 a year....check on the mail saved for me by a relative at that time. If anything important looking comes in, such as SS or tax info, the info will be screened and emailed to me...nothing yet in over a year.

In this age, all bills can be viewed and handled online. What else is there?

I use the Mexican mail system. Last year it seemed okay as it was taking about 2 to 3 weeks to get mail to and from Canada. But the last few months it has really gone downhill. Lately it has been taking an average of 6 weeks to and from Canada-sometimes up to 8 weeks. I get home delivery which seems to delay it a bit. One day last week I got 5 letters. They are stamped when they arrive in Ajijic. Some of these 5 had been stamped 5 and 6 days earlier in Ajijic. It took as long to get them from Ajijic to San Juna Cosala as it would have taken them to get all across Canada.

The weather may have something to do with delays. Lots of cities stopped delivering because access difficulties.

I have a box in Chapala and no complains. Delivery may take longer but for 300.00 pesos, I am more than satisfied. I used to pay almost 300.00 dollars for mailboxes in San Antonio and always loosing packages and letters. Since I've been using my box in Chapala, not once had I missed a delivery. In the meantime we are saving 270.00 dollars every year which I can spend in Tonala or Tlaquepaque.

Living in Chapala, we have a mailbox on the front of our home and mail has been delivered reliably for the past six years. There is no charge.

We lived in Ajijic from 2001 to 2004 and mail delivery was not reliable in Ajijic, at that time.

I order items online for delivery using the mail.

There was a big hold up in December. A package mailed USPS International Priority left the US into Aduana in Los Angeles where it sat for over 30 days. Once released to Coreos de Mexico the tracking showed it moving from LA to Mexico City, Guad, and Chapala. Inside Mexico was about 10 days. A package from Singapore was delayed even longer, but once Coreos de Mexico had it it was 12 days to get here. A package from Hong Kong almost identical timing.

They were all backed up with Aduana for at least month when normaly it is a 2 to 3 day process. Perhaps after the holidays things will get back to normal.

I don't understand why one needs to receive mail at all? I go back to US x2 a year....check on the mail saved for me by a relative at that time. If anything important looking comes in, such as SS or tax info, the info will be screened and emailed to me...nothing yet in over a year.

In this age, all bills can be viewed and handled online. What else is there?

Not everyone goes back to the U.S. during the year and has people there who can take care of their (packages, mail) whatever. Some never go back. I, for one. Like many others, we have a local mail box and a Texas mail drop that receives our mail; pay dearly for the privilege, but it's less expensive, time consuming and tiring than a trip to the U.S. There are many other places I'd rather visit. lol.:rolleyes:

Padded envelopes are treated as packages and inspected by Aduana. Mailing medicines to Mexico is illegal without a special license. They were probably confiscated.

My daughter called me yesterday - the padded envelope with the medications was returned to her last week after almost 5 months with a notice from Aduna- "NoT Authorized-"

What a surprise!

I received some Valentine cards today. All mailed from Denver 19 days ago. :P So some mail is getting through. Found them on the ground after being thrown over the gate.

A couple of Christmas cards I mailed to Ajijic didn't make it though. Spotty service.

Archived