Chapala.com Webboard

Is anyone here using Sling.com?

jailbait

I had the same thought,but I personally witnessed him using it at his house,it worked fine. The package includes a virtual remote,so he can change channels,volume,etc as if he were physically sitting in front of the tv. I thought of connecting it to our son's tv in California,but then we would have to watch what he watches. Another idea would be to install a second cable connection in his garage,for our use only.

Been there done that!!! I have a Slingbox at my son's house in Milwaukee so I can watch all the Packer games ... plus any other programming I choose. I purchased the deluxe box for @ $300 US. With this I can watch any program as well as record programs on his DVR or order movies. The delux box is fully independent of anything my son is viewing or recording, there is no conflict between his use and mine. He recently upgraded his internet speed because the upload speed on his end is just as important as the download speed on my end. I get my internet thru TelMex and have only the middle package ($599 pesos per month for phone and internet). My picture quality is not true hi-def but very close to it.

One other consideration ... it helps if the Slingbox is in a location in the same time zone as here. For example if the Slingbox were in California, the 10 o'clock news there would be at midnight here.

Oh yeah, there are NO monthly user fees, so it's just the one time hardware costs.

Cheesehead what is your son's upload speed to make the Slingbox work well?

We thought about this twice before and are thinking about it again. The first boxes were somehow tied to the originating locations viewing. Good to know there is another generation of box that works independently. Unfortunately neither of our daughters have cable service so that is an additional expense. One watches TV via computer hooked to the TV so they use a program which captures their TV choices and then they can choose what to watch when they have the time and another doesn't have cable TV or internet because they consider them time suckers and aside from turning on the news in the AM they watch DVDs only. This might be a small business for someone up north who is technically savvy and willing to have multiple Cables into their house.

I have a Shaw Direct box in the guest bedroom with a Slingbox 58200. My brother in Canada watches whatever he wants on his laptop and iPad, changing the channels via the Internet connection. He says the picture is just great.

I have a ... Slingbox 58200.

Slingbox 58200?? I can't find this # on slingbox.com, ebay, google or amazon. I've only found 2 versions, the solo and HD-pro. Is the HD-pro the model you are writing about?

Check out the customer reviews on amazon, they are ugly and angry. Slingbox must have quality control problems, and terrible and costly customer service.

I love the idea but it sounds like quite a gamble to me.

Slingbox 58200?? I can't find this # on slingbox.com, ebay, google or amazon. I've only found 2 versions, the solo and HD-pro. Is the HD-pro the model you are writing about?

Check out the customer reviews on amazon, they are ugly and angry. Slingbox must have quality control problems, and terrible and costly customer service.

I love the idea but it sounds like quite a gamble to me.

I would guess the basic box; I took the number off the bottom, because there are no other indicators anywhere on the red casing as to which model it might be.

We've never had a problem with it, ever, and I've got a friend back in Canada who at one point spent more time in hotels because of his job, took it with him everywhere, and never told me had a problem.

Sorry, not sure what my son's upload spead is, I'll email him and ask. We have had zero problems with the hardware or software. The one post said his traveling friend takes his everywhere??? I don't understand that because the Slingbox is stationary at the source of the programing. Then wherever you are if you have internet access you can watch the programing.

The HD Pro is the model you want.

Sorry, not sure what my son's upload spead is, I'll email him and ask. We have had zero problems with the hardware or software. The one post said his traveling friend takes his everywhere??? I don't understand that because the Slingbox is stationary at the source of the programing. Then wherever you are if you have internet access you can watch the programing.

The HD Pro is the model you want.

Remember that if you are only uploading to a laptop, no big deal. But let's say you want this programming for a larger TV that wants say 720p or 1080i, you know good quality HD, here in Mexico or anywhere for that matter.

If I were to provide my programming for my Mexico house from the US and used say, Comcast, my US cable provider, there were would be problems. To make a long story short, to watch the amount of TV many if not the majority do in true HD, my Comcast bandwidth would increase so much that I would exceed 250 g per month. And guess what that means? My monthly Comcast internet rates would increase from $45 to $99 plus tax per month. It's simpler for me to simply subscribe to Shaw Direct, which gives me my home town stations.

The one post said his traveling friend takes his everywhere??? I don't understand that because the Slingbox is stationary at the source of the programing.

Sorry for the confusing post. I meant he uses it everywhere with the Slingbox software, because yes, the box itself is hooked up at his home.

So your slingbox streams his cable feed over the internet and you pick it up down here, I'm assuming with some kind of password protected access.

His internet speeds sound a lot like what my brother in law has. But that is vastly higher than what we have here so I don't quite understand how you can get a quality download here. Is the signal compressed somehow?

I really would like to know more because we could do this with said brother in law and contribute to his cable fee in return. But we already have episodes of poor download quality just with our internet phone. Particularly in the late afternoons, our TelMex internet slows down markedly. To the point where we can't get a smooth streaming from one of those "watch TV on line" internet sites.

This is supposed to be the 2meg 599 peso service.

You are correct ... I go to the Slingbox website, enter his account name and then the password. As I mentioned in a previous post, I too have internet thru TelMex and only their "middle" package for $599 pesos per month for internet and telephone service. With this I get Internet access bandwidth of up to 2 Mb speed and this has been more than adequate for great picture quality ever since my son upgraded his end. As for your "afternoon" issues, perhaps that is a function of the equipment in your specific area?? I live in the six corners area and have only had a couple of occasions in the past few months when internet service was "on again off again". Because I prefer to watch programs that I've recorded via my son's DVR (too fast forward thru commercials), I typically watch football games later in the afternoon and other programming in the evening ... I've had no streaming issues.

I couldn't tell you whether or not there is any signal compression involved, but that would seem likely.

All in all, I am a HUGE fan of Slingbox for all my TV programming needs.

• 2 weeks later...

You are correct ... I go to the Slingbox website, enter his account name and then the password. As I mentioned in a previous post, I too have internet thru TelMex and only their "middle" package for $599 pesos per month for internet and telephone service. With this I get Internet access bandwidth of up to 2 Mb speed and this has been more than adequate for great picture quality ever since my son upgraded his end. As for your "afternoon" issues, perhaps that is a function of the equipment in your specific area?? I live in the six corners area and have only had a couple of occasions in the past few months when internet service was "on again off again". Because I prefer to watch programs that I've recorded via my son's DVR (too fast forward thru commercials), I typically watch football games later in the afternoon and other programming in the evening ... I've had no streaming issues.

I couldn't tell you whether or not there is any signal compression involved, but that would seem likely.

All in all, I am a HUGE fan of Slingbox for all my TV programming needs.

What size computer or monitor do you watch slingbox on ?

Jeff

I sometimes just watch Slingbox on my laptop screen, but most of the time (especially sports programing) I watch on a 42" flat panel TV that I connect to my laptop with HDMI cable. Then you can toggle you monitor selection between laptop screen, TV screen, or both.

Archived