Chapala.com Webboard

moshi moshi sushi

slainte39

Went with kids and grandkids to Moshi Moshi Sushi in the Plaza Andares yesterday as they are all sushi lovers.

The sushi was excellent and they have a varied menu of other things like fried rice, which we all had. Of the half dozen types of sushi we tried, my favorite was the crab, asparragus, and cream cheese in a lightly battered tempura.

No. 17--I won't forget--could have fondered on it.

Speaking of Mexicans eating out...Of the half dozen or so nice restaurants on the front of the "avenida de entrada", all were full, packed to the gills, with long waiting lines to get in, at around 3:30 to 4PM. Mostly under 40 crowd but a few relics like me. And that's not counting The Outback and PF Chang which are off in different locations or the food court up on the 3rd level. As More Liana pointed out--young Mexico is certainly changing as regards to eating out.

Also all the new construction--hotels, traffic bridges, etc. in Guad.,--are sure impressive, as well as, so it seems, a burgoening new middle class of young Mexicans. A while back took the grandkids to see Harry Potter at the cines in Plaza Galerias--same thing as hundreds of kids lined up (looong lines) to see the movie and it was playing in 4 or 6 salas. Around Christmas we went to Johnny Rocket's in the new Plaza Ciudadela. The plaza is huge but it was wall to wall people and I would guess not one (as I did not see) any what you could judge to be NOB types.Don't know how they are doing it--maybe they have discovered "plastic money".

Went with kids and grandkids to Moshi Moshi Sushi in the Plaza Andares yesterday as they are all sushi lovers.

The sushi was excellent and they have a varied menu of other things like fried rice, which we all had. Of the half dozen types of sushi we tried, my favorite was the crab, asparragus, and cream cheese in a lightly battered tempura.

Speaking of Mexicans eating out...Of the half dozen or so nice restaurants on the front of the "avenida de entrada", all were full, packed to the gills, with long waiting lines to get in, at around 3:30 to 4PM. Mostly under 40 crowd but a few relics like me. And that's not counting The Outback and PF Chang which are off in different locations or the food court up on the 3rd level. As More Liana pointed out--young Mexico is certainly changing as regards to eating out.

Also all the new construction--hotels, traffic bridges, etc. in Guad.,--are sure impressive, as well as, so it seems, a burgoening new middle class of young Mexicans. A while back took the grandkids to see Harry Potter at the cines in Plaza Galerias--same thing as hundreds of kids lined up (looong lines) to see the movie and it was playing in 4 or 6 salas. Around Christmas we went to Johnny Rocket's in the new Plaza Ciudadela. The plaza is huge but it was wall to wall people and I would guess not one (as I did not see) any what you could judge to be NOB types.Don't know how they are doing it--maybe they have discovered "plastic money".

Sorry to go "off topic" but where is the Plaza Ciudadela that you mention?

Sorry to go "off topic" but where is the Plaza Ciudadela that you mention?

Plaza Ciudadela (The Citadel) is on the southeast corner of Avenida Patria and Moctezuma. Various ways to get there depending on where you are coming from, but stay away on the weekends--it's a zoo :) Maybe not so bad now, that Christmas is over.

Sounds like a Mexican chain; they have a different idea of what sushi should be. Lots of battered and cooked items, mostly tasty, but not in the definition of "raw fish"... there are a couple of places at Galerias like that. Loved the food, especially the beef bits, but would never find that at Suehiro.

Sounds like a Mexican chain; they have a different idea of what sushi should be. Lots of battered and cooked items, mostly tasty, but not in the definition of "raw fish"... there are a couple of places at Galerias like that. Loved the food, especially the beef bits, but would never find that at Suehiro.

You might be right about being a chain but it's the first one I've seen. Not even in the same league with Suehiro. Had daughter's birthday dinner at Suehiro on a Sunday before Christmas, and it was packed also--had to have reservations--and it's still the best.

No, Moshi Mushi Moshi :) is more like a Japanese-Mexican fast food place, but very good in it's own right--kids love it. BTW the eel sushi must have been "raw"--tasted like it :)

You might be right about being a chain but it's the first one I've seen. Not even in the same league with Suehiro. Had daughter's birthday dinner at Suehiro on a Sunday before Christmas, and it was packed also--had to have reservations--and it's still the best.

No, Moshi Mushi Moshi :) is more like a Japanese-Mexican fast food place, but very good in it's own right--kids love it. BTW the eel sushi must have been "raw"--tasted like it :)

As a neophyte sushi aficionado, I haven't tried very many places, here or up north. Suehiro is definitely many leagues above everything I have tried. Driving through Guadalajara, I see lots of sushi places, most of them very small hole-in-the-wall types, and I can only imagine what they are like. (The name Moshi Mushi Moshi just sounds so franchise, doesn't it?)

As a neophyte sushi aficionado, I haven't tried very many places, here or up north. Suehiro is definitely many leagues above everything I have tried. Driving through Guadalajara, I see lots of sushi places, most of them very small hole-in-the-wall types, and I can only imagine what they are like. (The name Moshi Mushi Moshi just sounds so franchise, doesn't it?)

No--it sounds so franchushi :D

Sushi with cream cheese is not on my good sushi list. Wish there were more places, but Suehiro is by far the best for sushi and other "authentic" Japanese dishes.

Agreed. Cream cheese is just a cheap filler, and even low-grade cream cheese overpowers the subtle flavours of everything else. I believe the tradition started with the California Roll, and spread like a plague everywhere. I'm sure someone will take me to task for this, but cream cheese in Japan in sushi was brought over from the U.S., and there just isn't a lot of cheese of any kind in Japan

Come to think of it, sushi rolls are not originally Japanese either, are they?

Agreed. Cream cheese is just a cheap filler, and even low-grade cream cheese overpowers the subtle flavours of everything else. I believe the tradition started with the California Roll, and spread like a plague everywhere. I'm sure someone will take me to task for this, but cream cheese in Japan in sushi was brought over from the U.S., and there just isn't a lot of cheese of any kind in Japan

Hand rolls are. An authentic California Roll doesn't have cream cheese in it.

See--you guys all know more about sushi than I do. Like

rolex watches--I can't tell a good one from a cheap imitation, and for that, I don't have either one, Probably shouldn't be eating sushi either.

Mike--I think your right about cream cheese, as most East Asians I have known, aren't big on or eat cheese at all-- at least Koreans don't.

See--you guys all know more about sushi than I do. Like

rolex watches--I can't tell a good one from a cheap imitation, and for that, I don't have either one, Probably shouldn't be eating sushi either.

Mike--I think your right about cream cheese, as most East Asians I have known, aren't big on or eat cheese at all-- at least Koreans don't.

Well, at least I got one thing right. My vision of the conception of a California Roll is some moonlighting surfer making up some sushi and thinking "Whoa, dude, no avocado... what's in the fridge? Philly? Awesome."

Well, at least I got one thing right. My vision of the conception of a California Roll is some moonlighting surfer making up some sushi and thinking "Whoa, dude, no avocado... what's in the fridge? Philly? Awesome."

I know this comment won't make much sense to you younger posters, but W C Fields told the world a long time ago that they "do things differently in Philadelphia" including sushi.

Well.....maybe he didn't say that last part.

I know this comment won't make much sense to you younger posters, but W C Fields told the world a long time ago that they "do things differently in Philadelphia" including sushi.

Well.....maybe he didn't say that last part.

Yes, I can just see him with thumbs in vest, drumming his fingers on his chest, dragging out the word "sushiiiiii." I think he also said something about Mae West doing things differentlyyyy....

Archived