Chapala.com Webboard

mexican bedspreads

pbush

Looking for traditional mexican bedspreads - not cheap comforters from walmart. Can anyone recommend a place. I have not seen them on the caraterra.

Not sure what you mean by a traditional Mexican bedspread but for bedspreads made of handwoven fabrics the best place to look is in Tlaquepaque. Two of my favorite shops are Del Corazon de la Tierra, Juarez #245, (33)36-57-56-82, his website: corazondelat@yahoo.com.mx . The other is Mona's, same street, same side, up about a block.

Sorry I don't remember as I bought a number of rugs at the same time.

What's the price on the bedspreads? I'm interested as the one's in my house are hedious (came with the house).

Looking for traditional mexican bedspreads - not cheap comforters from walmart. Can anyone recommend a place. I have not seen them on the caraterra.

If you feel like taking a nice trip to Tapalpa, there is a shop in the main plaza that sells beautiful, hand-woven bedspreads or all colors and designs. Several of us went there to buy them. My king-size spread was 500 pesos. We all bought several and Tapalpa is a beautiful town to visit in the mountains. Only about and hour and half drive.

I have seen them on Wednesday on the carraterra near El Torito. They hang they out with the rugs. Not sure of the prices.

If you go to Tlaquepaque, just across the street from Corozon de la Tierra is another shop (directly across the street) that has the bedspreads much cheaper. They are not displayed so you have to look around. She quoted me a price of 600 pesos for a king size. They are also much cheaper than Mona.

In frount of the area between the old posada and EVE;s by the malecon in ajijic is a little indian woman named Pachita. I bought a hand woven bedspread from her 11 years ago and it is beautiful even after being washed a dozen times. I just spread it out on the bed to dry and iron it on low, leave it to dry on the bed.

She used to make them right there on the lakefrount in that same area, but I don't know if she still makes them there. She does still sell them there.

About Pachita: It is difficult to tell her age, i would guess she is in her late 60's. She lives 2 blocks up the hill from the lake and every day she pushes two heavily loaded hand trucks down the hill and then back up in the afternoon. She pushes one half a block up and then goes back for the other one, repeating this process untill she gets home. It is an amazing demonstration of strength of character and determination.

Please check out Pachitas work. i do not know what her prices are but if you buy one you will have it forever. remember that a lot of work goes into it.

She does negotiate the price, but her Spanish is not very good...or it least it was not the last time I talked to her many years ago. She speaks some sort of indian dialect, but never has a problem working out a deal with her buyers.

Thanks, Betsy, I'm so glad to hear about Pachita. She is a wonder. She is very friendly and I always stop to chat with her when in the area. I have also watched her with her hand trucks! I once stopped and was going to ask her if she'd like some help, but then I realized that I may not be able to push the load up the hill!

If you don't know Pachita's woven things, or her, you must stop by and visit with her. She's amazing. Is she Huichol?

Thanks, Betsy, I'm so glad to hear about Pachita. She is a wonder. She is very friendly and I always stop to chat with her when in the area. I have also watched her with her hand trucks! I once stopped and was going to ask her if she'd like some help, but then I realized that I may not be able to push the load up the hill!

If you don't know Pachita's woven things, or her, you must stop by and visit with her. She's amazing. Is she Huichol?

Based on her attire, I think she is a Triqui Indian. They have spread out across the country from Oaxaca - their treatment in their home state has historically been less than pleasant.

Several years ago I bought enough woven material to have a king sized bedspread and curtains made. It was very inexpensive to have the bedspread and curtains made. The material was also inexpensive and I had just what I wanted and could not find in the stores.

Trailrunner, are you going to blog about Pachita??? I'm sure it would be good!

• 3 years later...

If it's who I'm thinking of, yes she still sets up shop on the lakefront. She lives on the street a little north of Simply Thai and rolls her wares down to the lake. She hangs things between two trees more or less in front of what used to be Yves restaurant. She sets up late morning.

The Mexican bedspeads I have seen in Tlaquepaque are from 3 areas

Oaxaca the pastel color ones that are woven on a pedal loo,. They are from Mitla, Oaxaca and you can buy them under the tree in Ajijic or in Tlaquepaque.

Some from Puebla with the colorful animals those are made by the Otomi and the ones ones from Chiapas in Corazon de la Tierra. He has two types, or used to have two types from Chiapas, the ones done on pedal loom in San Cristobal by a Spanish (from Spain) family and the ones dones by the weaver from San Andres or Aldama on backstrap looms. Those are magnificent but so is the price.

All the others from Mona , Corazon de la Tierra and accross the street are from Guatemala. SOme are huipils cut into squares and but together, the other are skirts cut into squares and put together and some are plain woven cloth with a small colorful border ..that is about it,,

We bought in Patzcuaro 2 years ago. The Aldama Family weaves magnificent ones and the price for the KS was 430p. This is a family affair and they are really special. Worth a trip, You get a guided tour of the shop where they are made.

Archived