Chapala.com Webboard

Mexico's Drug War airs tonight on CNBC at 10 EST

Ruidoso

One of the best books on the subject of drug issues/history in Mexico is Charles Bowden's "Down By The River." Although written in 2002 it is spot on in terms of social costs, political ramifications, and the symbiotic relationship between the drug cartels and the government. It is a great resource that analyzes things in a way that allows you to easily bring it up to date.

Anyone who thinks the Mexican government really wants to eradicate the drug money in this country is naive. Oh yeah, once in a while they'll put on a little show for their handlers up north of the border, and kill and/or arrest a few big fish. But it's in everyone's interest on a political and economic level to let this game play out. As Bowden points out above, even the US has huge vested interests in the status quo. Everyone's interest except for the bystanders being cut down in the crossfire.

Anyone who thinks the usa government really wants to eradicate the drug money is naive and where do the REAL drug lords live? The street value of the drugs in the usa is around 10 times the value than in mexico.I am naive on the price of drugs anywhere in the world.

The answer to all questions is "Follow the money"

Profit and loss are always the answer. Profit,the narcos make money, law enforement makes money, everyone in the bribery chain makes money. Loss, the innocent people that get injured/killed by being in the wrong place at the wrong time.

I have to agree, there is no real desire to end the illeagle drug trade on either side of the border by the people that could do so. The money has completely corrurpted the US law enforcement community with high paying jobs and leagle theft (asset forfiture).

Yep, that pretty much sums it up. While in Arlington, I had a conversation about this with my nephew, who is a retired police officer. He said the same thing pretty much, that it is a racket that supports a lot of cops and police departments. It was the main reason he got out.

What was it that Reagan said, something about government being the problem and not the solution? :)

Archived