Chapala.com Webboard

Interjet Buys Sukhoi-Russian planes

jailbait

Russia isn't known for top quality when it comes to commercial aircraft. This is a joint venture with Finmeccanica of Italy,but it doesn't say anything about who has quality control responsibility or what safety record this plane has.

Interjet claims that Sukhoi was the best,but I imagine it's also cheaper than the others,which makes me wonder too.

does anyone know anything about this aircraft? I wouldn't be very thrilled to ride on one without knowing anything about it.

Apparently the joint venture is less than two years old and has not actually delivered any planes to anyone yet. A list of their customers includes nobody I've ever heard of before.

Here's an article:

Vedomosti

Mexico's Interjet Buys Sukhoi

19 January 2011

MEXICO CITY — Mexican airline Interjet signed a $650 million contract with Superjet International for 15 aircraft to help it expand operations, Superjet partner Finmeccanica announced.

The first deliveries are scheduled for the second half of 2012, and the contract includes options for five additional Superjet 100 jets, which seat 98 passengers, the company said late Monday. Superjet International is a joint venture between Finmeccanica’s Alenia Aeronautica and Sukhoi Holding.

“We chose Sukhoi Superjet 100 after a careful evaluation of all of the comparable airplanes … [because] it has the best results at the altitudes and temperatures typical in Mexico,” Interjet chief executive Jose Luis Garza said.

(Reuters)

I don't know, but the Russians put Sputnik up, jarring the USA at the time, then proceeded to develop a space program capable of landing capsules on dry land, which the USA never did accomplish. They also had a reliable shuttle program and are now the sole source of transport to and from the 'International Space Station'. I imagine they build good airplanes.

I don't know, but the Russians put Sputnik up, jarring the USA at the time, then proceeded to develop a space program capable of landing capsules on dry land, which the USA never did accomplish. The also hadd a reliable shuttle program and are now the sole source of transport to and from the 'International Space Station'. I imagine they build good airplanes.

When you say you don't know,I guess you're correct. Look at the safety record of Ilyushin compared with all the other manufacturers in the world.

Very true. I've flown on some Boeing aircraft between various African and Middle Eastern countries, wondering what kept them aloft. At full throttle, several cabin fixtures often fell on the passengers, etc., etc.

Archived