Chapala.com Webboard

Viva Mexico

ballbabe

We were there, too, with several friends, and everyone ordered different plates. Some had fish or meat dishes and I had chile relleno. Everyone had the Christmas punch. All were served at the same time and everyone at the table was more than happy with their dinner. It is a fine place to eat and handy to a great butcher shop diagonally across the street.

I love the chiles en nogada, which they have year-round. Best I have had, but I am no authority on authenticity--I just like their version. They also have my favorite refried beans, which the owner's wife makes. And my favorite homemade tortillas! The owner is a great guy who does a lot for SJC. If you have never been there, do ask him for the story of the mural about SJC--great place to take guests who have not been to "real" Mexican restaurants.

We were there, too, with several friends, and everyone ordered different plates. Some had fish or meat dishes and I had chile relleno. Everyone had the Christmas punch. All were served at the same time and everyone at the table was more than happy with their dinner. It is a fine place to eat and handy to a great butcher shop diagonally across the street.

Some of us are newer here and do not yet know where everything is. An actual street address helps and some idea of prices also lets us know if it is within our budget or at least what to expect.

Many Thanks

DaveP

Agustín would be SO pleased to read this, I'll forward it to him.

Don't know the actual address, DaveP, but it's on the street fronting the plaza running E/W and about a block west. North side of the street, you can't miss it. Yellow building. It's probably in anyone's budget. You can have a large full meal and beverage for under 100 pesos. And you can eat there for much less if you like too. Or more. . .

Agustín and family are very special folks.

The address is Porfirio Diaz #92. Porfirio Diaz is the main street in SJC. From the carretera you turn down the street between the school and the big communications tower, take the first right and it is 2 blocks down on your right.

Prices are very reasonable, topping out at about 65 pesos for the chiles in nogada and as little as 30-40 pesos for simpler fare. A very good place and great hosts, and after buying filet mignon for Christmas from the butcher shop RV mentions I strongly recommend a stop there as well. Viva Mexico is well worth the trip.

• 3 weeks later...

It is the place I miss most now that I'm back in Arizona. The ambience, wonderful food and generous hosts. Which is also a good summary of Mexico, I think.

You can search on the forum for 'viva mexico' and see lots of reviews and information.

What day if any are they closed? We want to go tonight (Monday)

• 3 weeks later...

Husband and I just had a delightful meal at Viva Mexico. It's been a while since we've been there and will definitely not wait so long to go back. Well worth the ride out there. A delightful meal - great, fresh food, not overly salted at a very reasonable price with good, friendly service in a nice atmosphere!

Archived