Chapala.com Webboard

Brussels sprouts

cedros

I need some Brussels sprouts before Saturday. I've tried Aurrera Bodega, El Torito, Walmart, and Soriana unsucessfully. Does anyone know where I can get them? I've never been to the tiangui in Ajijic-would they have them there?

I need some Brussels sprouts before Saturday. I've tried Aurrera Bodega, El Torito, Walmart, and Soriana unsucessfully. Does anyone know where I can get them? I've never been to the tiangui in Ajijic-would they have them there?

It's tianguis, in both the singular and plural. And I have never seen Brussels sprouts there. You MIGHT find some at the Mercado de Abastos in Guadalajara, but even that is unlikely.

Thanks for the replies but I forgot to mention I tried Superlake on Sunday and they had none.

I thought it was tainguis but my dictionary says tiangui.

Thanks for the replies but I forgot to mention I tried Superlake on Sunday and they had none.

I thought it was tainguis but my dictionary says tiangui.

Check your diccionario again, I promise that it is tianguis. It comes from the Náhuatl word tianquiztli ('mercado').

Check your diccionario again, I promise that it is tianguis. It comes from the Náhuatl word tianquiztli ('mercado').

tiangui

tiangui [te-ahn'-gee] [te-ahn’-gay]

(in the Philippine Islands), m. The market, and market-days, in the small towns of the Mexican republic and in the Philippine Islands.

Velazquez® Spanish and English Dictionary. Copyright © 2007 by Velazquez® Press. All rights reserved

tiangui

Yesterday I bought Brussel Sprouts at Superlake. They were some of the freshest I've seen in a long time.

Yes, I got 97 pesos worth.

CostCo quite often carries brussels sprouts, and I believe Pancho at SuperLake simply buys a bunch of the packages and then puts them in his bin with his own pricing. So if you go to CostCo, check in the walk-in vegetable cooler at the back of the store, usually in the left-rear corner of the cooler. Also often in that corner, asparagus.

CostCo quite often carries brussels sprouts, and I believe Pancho at SuperLake simply buys a bunch of the packages and then puts them in his bin with his own pricing. So if you go to CostCo, check in the walk-in vegetable cooler at the back of the store, usually in the left-rear corner of the cooler. Also often in that corner, asparagus.

What quantity of brussels sprouts do you have to buy at Costco? I saw the asparagus, but it was packaged by the kilo and since asparagus perishes quickly I had to sadly decine. The price was very good compared to what we get locally. Brussels Sprouts do keep a lot longer, but if you have to buy by the kilo I think that is a lot of brussels sprouts at one time.

What quantity of brussels sprouts do you have to buy at Costco? I saw the asparagus, but it was packaged by the kilo and since asparagus perishes quickly I had to sadly decine. The price was very good compared to what we get locally. Brussels Sprouts do keep a lot longer, but if you have to buy by the kilo I think that is a lot of brussels sprouts at one time.

You're right, CostCo always sells everything in huge quantity. I've never looked at the weight, though. Probably a kilo: there are enough sprouts to feed four people 7 or 8 each. They come in a clear plastic container.

I'd have to guess that Pancho also gets his asparagus there, and that's why you often see it in his store marked as "young", because he keeps cutting off the bottoms as they start to deteriorate. His asparagus gets shorter and shorter.

Archived