Chapala.com Webboard

Elimination of Family Memberships

gypsyken

I seek to point out dishonesty wherever I see it, Charlie. Note that the LCS has also posted and published a notice saying that the U.S. Postal Service is rejecting mail without return addresses, which is simply false. (I'll be glad to send to anyone who requests it the official U.S.P.S. statement that first class mail without a return address will be delivered.) Whatever reason LCS may have for requiring mail sent through LCS to have return addresses, it is dishonest to state that the U.S. Postal Service requires it.

Perhaps one reason for wanting return addresses was the live scorpion that somone tried to send a "friend" by LCS mail out of the country.

Perhaps one reason for wanting return addresses was the live scorpion that somone tried to send a "friend" by LCS mail out of the country.

LCS can require what they want. Mr. Crosby's point was that it is dishonest for LCS to make the claim that this is a requirement of the USPS; it is not.

And it is dishonest of them to claim otherwise.

First thing the new board did was eliminate the "longtimers" discount which sent me packing. I've lived here for 25 yrs. I was responsible for lending videos to the Video Club when it first started up. A lot of changes have happened in those 25 yrs. and not for the better.

We all thought that Nancy Craven was the worst President but, this new President is running a close second.

I found that I was using the LCS less and less and now since I've been away from it for 2 yrs., I don't miss it at all.

Why do we slip in to name calling..again, been there done that, to day is a new beginning..sorry LCS cannot be all things to all people

Unfortunately, LCS is becoming less and less to many people. And membership fees do not reflect what is available; they are simply too high, and going higher all the time. Now we need higher paid positions that require extraordinary fees? What was once a volunteer organization dedicated to the local population has become a nightmare of politicking and unnecessary regulations.

I'm with Diego, who used to lend the Society videos, and all those people who donated library books. Now the library is wound up so tight we have late fees for free books. Nice. Goodbye, LCS.

Unfortunately, LCS is becoming less and less to many people. And membership fees do not reflect what is available; they are simply too high, and going higher all the time. Now we need higher paid positions that require extraordinary fees? What was once a volunteer organization dedicated to the local population has become a nightmare of politicking and unnecessary regulations.

I'm with Diego, who used to lend the Society videos, and all those people who donated library books. Now the library is wound up so tight we have late fees for free books. Nice. Goodbye, LCS.

yes membership fees are outrageous - for one person about $42US a year - and a couple about $64 - I think THOSE LCS VOLUNTEERS - and i include the officers - should just get more volunteers to do all the work -- why not!!!

THOSE VOLUNTEERS should be able to find OTHER VOLUNTEERS to pull the weeds, sweep the walks, repairs the roofs, donate office supplies, donate office equipment, paint the walls, repair the buildings etc etc. And surely THOSE volunteers can find OTHER VOLUNTEERS to staff the office full time - but no slouches here - that is coming in late or taking the days off - they would need to be their full time, And of course we would include the total of the LCS grounds and the Wilkes Center.

Pretty soon then membership fees could be reduce to zero - and you and I wouldn't have to pay anything - while all THOSE OTHER VOLUNTEERS did the work. cool.gif

Needless to say - I think the membership fees are very fair. Organizations have always had a shortage of volunteers - especially those that will work day in and day out, year in and year out. Those that will are already pretty busy. This is a non profit organization that gets by with very little money and lots of volunteers. Those that want to see it do more can surely volunteer their time to help it do more.

i think they do very well.

yes membership fees are outrageous - for one person about $42US a year - and a couple about $64 - I think THOSE LCS VOLUNTEERS - and i include the officers - should just get more volunteers to do all the work -- why not!!!

THOSE VOLUNTEERS should be able to find OTHER VOLUNTEERS to pull the weeds, sweep the walks, repairs the roofs, donate office supplies, donate office equipment, paint the walls, repair the buildings etc etc. And surely THOSE volunteers can find OTHER VOLUNTEERS to staff the office full time - but no slouches here - that is coming in late or taking the days off - they would need to be their full time, And of course we would include the total of the LCS grounds and the Wilkes Center.

Pretty soon then membership fees could be reduce to zero - and you and I wouldn't have to pay anything - while all THOSE OTHER VOLUNTEERS did the work. cool.gif

Needless to say - I think the membership fees are very fair. Organizations have always had a shortage of volunteers - especially those that will work day in and day out, year in and year out. Those that will are already pretty busy. This is a non profit organization that gets by with very little money and lots of volunteers. Those that want to see it do more can surely volunteer their time to help it do more.

i think they do very well.

Well said Mad Max- I am sure there are many more who agree with you!! We are in the process right now of planning a Volunteer Appreciation Party in March for all the wonderful volunteers who do so much for LCS.

maw

But you've taken a simple situation and made it overwrought and convoluted, just like all that is currently wrong with the LCS. I applaud those who are only here to help, but I disdain the methodology that has brought us to this place. Maybe it's time to ditch the whole thing and start again.

But you've taken a simple situation and made it overwrought and convoluted, just like all that is currently wrong with the LCS. I applaud those who are only here to help, but I disdain the methodology that has brought us to this place. Maybe it's time to ditch the whole thing and start again.

uh - ditch the whole thing and start again? seems like that is what they tried to do last year - and the members voted no. You did not participate? Many people invested significant time - over a significant period.

And i disagree that i have made the situation overwrought. LCS has evolved into what it is now - based on the people that have volunteered and the membership that has recommended and voted on changes.

If one defines methodology - a body of methods, rules, and postulates employed by a discipline : a particular procedure or set of procedures - i guess it could apply - as the rules are created by volunteers and voted on my members.

Seems to me that last year they did try to redo LCS. Lots of people invested a lot of time. Maybe you weren't in the area then?

I would think LCS will always welcome constructive criticism - the volunteers work hard - as does the paid staff. If you want to see an organization change, the best way is to be part of it - the armchair stuff that is negative really doesn't benefit LCS because you are really just criticizing all the people in this community that work hard to keep it going. if you don't think it should be kept going, move on - as their are other organizations that may meet your needs if you choose to join and or volunteer.

Many may simply be looking for a way to justify complaining about LCS, instead of realizing that it just doesn't fit their needs any more. Years ago, before DSL and any Spanish language ability, we maintained membership and enjoyed Spanish classes, which were 'almost free' with local teachers, some lectures and other events. We may have used the library & video resource once or twice. LCS was convenient to our home in Ajijic and that allowed us to walk, rather than have to find a parking spot.

Things have changed and we have changed. Yes, the dues have gone up and the staff seems less friendly than in years past; perhaps because of too much 'organization'. The Spanish classes became fewer and too 'organized', when most were moved to Wilkes, the prices increased and a new 'system' installed. In our case, parking became an issue as we moved to Chapala and age made walking several blocks less enjoyable. As income shrank, we eventually dropped many of the annual fees for LCS, concerts, theater, etc. that we had enjoyed in earlier years.

If this scenario fits others, and I think it may, there seems little justification for all the criticism. If you like LCS (maybe better the Ajijic Society), OK. Use it and support it. If not, don't. We still like what it does and like knowing that it is there, even though we're no longer members. Over time, we've learned to find our way around and even speak enough Spanish to be comfortable. As such, we, and perhaps others, have simply outgrown the need for an organized 'support club'. A circle of friends and local resources now fill those needs.

We have no complaints & recognize that times change, as do we, and that nothing is a 'perfect fit'. We must remind ourselves that we were born into the 'cell phone generation' and that the present 'digital generation' wouldn't recognize our system: Made of wood, with a crank on the side and two dry cells inside! Turn the crank for, "Number please."

RV, I pretty much agree with all that. but I'd like to point out to Max that my negative opinion of the LCS (and I've been around and involved for a long time) does not make it an unworthy opinion. Nor does it make it wrong. I'd like to add that the fact it didn't get "ditched" means little, considering I believe it's worse off than ever.

Chunky, are you a member of the LCS? The membership fees are very affordable. There will always be cranky people who want to complain. In my opinion, the LCS does a good job of both serving the local community and providing expat services.

... if you don't think it should be kept going, move on - as their [there] are other organizations that may meet your needs if you choose to join and or [sic] volunteer.

I can't resist asking: Has membership increased or decreased since Creevan/Feldstein?

Be that as it may, my husband & I decided to "move on" since we observe LCS descending rapidly into the pits of manipulation, dishonesty and corruption. (Just our opinion, of course.)

:015:

And what facts would those be, kind sir? You mean mine are incorrect?

Your "facts" kind sir, are incorrect. It has been over two years since the fees increased. With inflation, what else cost less or the same? The basic costs of operating an older plant such as LCS and Wilkes don't go down. With necessary maintenance, the costs go up. You make it sound like we are paying a giant staff to run a fancy corporation instead of one amazing executive director who is overworked and underpaid IMHO and the basic maintenance staff.

I feel like we are going to different places. I live in Joco and only come to LCS about once a week but I see cheerful, friendly office staff and helpful, knowledgeable library folks. I haven't paid a library fine because I renew my books if they are going to be late. I look at the Activities list and find it hard to believe there aren't things you are interested in. I am sorry some folks are dissatisfied, and find that LCS no longer meets their needs. As Max said, it is hard to be all things to all people.

To answer, I am no longer a member as of last year. The rate hike at that time was unwarranted and a result of mismanagement, in my opinion. And I dislike the way my meaning can be warped by saying things like "you make it sound like". It has not been over two years already, has it? (And how many times in the last 10?)

In any case, it doesn't matter, it has gone up too much for what it should be and for what is available. It's not really kosher to use faux-statistics ("with inflation") (and that is a moot argument, because an outfit is only worth what it's worth, regardless of inflation, if it's not relevant or losing relevance) to make it all seem hunky-dory.

I, too, find the people helpful and pleasant, and the atmosphere quite lovely, but that doesn't mask the general slothlike maneuvering, waste, and pointless bureaucracy. Remember a bit ago when it was going to cost millions to put in a second story, an elevator, cancel Wilkes, do all kinds of ridiculous "improvements" in the name of finances? No different then: there were supporters who felt it absolutely necessary. The fact that these things didn't happen is a testament to those who held it at bay. So you don't need to accuse me of being some LCS hater.

So you're smart, like most of us, and get your books back in time to avoid fines. My point is why do we need fines? Except for the hardcovers (which is a program I totally disagree with, on its current merits, by the way), the softcovers are all donated, and it should be a lending library, not a LIBRARY. Or is that more a statement on what some members may have become: too lazy to bring their loaners back. I say, you don't bring them back on time the first time, no problem. The second time, you're banned from "borrowing" for a period of time. No money, no worries.

I see library fines as a necessary evil for motivating patrons to bring back the dang books so someone else can enjoy them.

Some popular books I've inquired about show three copies on hand, but nary a one on the shelves: obviously, some selfish people take the books "walkabout" in their bags without even checking them out. Saves fines, of course..........but why don't we all just appreciate having a library and consider others in our use of it?

As for LCS in general, I think the current administration is doing a good job and am glad they concluded that million dollar changes were not the way to go.

To answer, I am no longer a member as of last year. The rate hike at that time was unwarranted and a result of mismanagement, in my opinion. And I dislike the way my meaning can be warped by saying things like "you make it sound like". It has not been over two years already, has it? (And how many times in the last 10?)

In any case, it doesn't matter, it has gone up too much for what it should be and for what is available. It's not really kosher to use faux-statistics ("with inflation") (and that is a moot argument, because an outfit is only worth what it's worth, regardless of inflation, if it's not relevant or losing relevance) to make it all seem hunky-dory.

I, too, find the people helpful and pleasant, and the atmosphere quite lovely, but that doesn't mask the general slothlike maneuvering, waste, and pointless bureaucracy. Remember a bit ago when it was going to cost millions to put in a second story, an elevator, cancel Wilkes, do all kinds of ridiculous "improvements" in the name of finances? No different then: there were supporters who felt it absolutely necessary. The fact that these things didn't happen is a testament to those who held it at bay. So you don't need to accuse me of being some LCS hater.

So you're smart, like most of us, and get your books back in time to avoid fines. My point is why do we need fines? Except for the hardcovers (which is a program I totally disagree with, on its current merits, by the way), the softcovers are all donated, and it should be a lending library, not a LIBRARY. Or is that more a statement on what some members may have become: too lazy to bring their loaners back. I say, you don't bring them back on time the first time, no problem. The second time, you're banned from "borrowing" for a period of time. No money, no worries.

Sounds like there are other organizations that might be a perfect match!!! Why belabor those that aren't!!! Sounds like the American Legion would be a delightful match - based on your desires - to not have return due dates stamped in a book - and far lower dues. I think the associate dues are only 150 pesos annually - and i always find books I like there.

Why all the angst against one of the organizations that has a different approach.

Try Mom's and Cafe Magana - they both have book exchanges. Again - no return due dates stamped in books. And - no membership fees. i guess you really don't even have to eat there.

interesting - an old timer with a new name - chunkybutt - and gee - you have never been on this board before - golly!!!! I am sure other board members can suggest where you can go - to find books that aren't stamped with a return due date.

Sounds like there are other organizations that might be a perfect match!!! Why belabor those that aren't!!! Sounds like the American Legion would be a delightful match - based on your desires - to not have return due dates stamped in a book - and far lower dues. I think the associate dues are only 150 pesos annually - and i always find books I like there.

Why all the angst against one of the organizations that has a different approach.

Try Mom's and Cafe Magana - they both have book exchanges. Again - no return due dates stamped in books. And - no membership fees. i guess you really don't even have to eat there.

interesting - an old timer with a new name - chunkybutt - and gee - you have never been on this board before - golly!!!! I am sure other board members can suggest where you can go - to find books that aren't stamped with a return due date.

Gee! Golly! You're vicious and spiteful, just like Ebenezer Scrooge, and have to attack everything I say because it's different. You've spent a lot of time coming up with criticisms that are completely out of the realm of this conversation. So guess what: you win, I cave, I don't care.

Chunky, what organizations do you belong to? I'd like to know so I could help you critique and direct them. I'm sure they would appreciate my input.

You know, AjijicCharlie, I've read a lot of your put-downs on this thread for quite a while now, and they're almost always disingenuous and beside the point. Including this one, because it would seem based on your comment that no one is allowed to critique or comment. So I guess this webboard better cut all the chatter, huh?

Besides, like Groucho, I don't want to belong to any club that would accept me as a member.

Archived