Chapala.com Webboard

The 16 Most Dangerous Points On Mexican Highways

Trailrunner

From the blog: http://livingboondockingmexico.blogspot.com/

I found this list in the El Norte newspaper on Sunday, November 21, 2010. The Policia Federal has established 16 high-risk points for transporters as well as drivers in general.

Sinaloa Hwy 80

* Los Mochis - Toll booth Cuatro Caminos

* Culiacán - La Reforma

* Los Mochis - Limites de Sonora

Queretero Hwy 70

* Libramiento Noreste

* San Gil - Palo Alto (San Juan del Rio)

Zacatecas Hwy 34

* Rio Grande - Limites San Luis Potosí

Puebla Hwy 32

* Amozoc - Quecholac

Tlaxcala Hwy 29

* Huamantla - Cuapiaxtla

Veracruz Hwy 85

* Villa Aldama - Xalapa

* Nautla - Emilio Carranza

* Coatzacoalcos - Limites Tabasco

Durango Hwy 24

* Entronque La Presa - El Vergel

Guerrero Hwy 23

* Chilpancingo - Puente Solidaridad

* Las Salinas - Tecpan de Galeana

Hidalgo Hwy 13

* Puente Julián Villagran - La Aduana (Ixmiquilpan)

Three other areas I'm not listing are in the D.F. metro area in Estado de Mexico, Morelia and the Big Tamal. The associated risk is set at roughly 30% although some of these areas have not had reported incidences which may mean there have been issues that have gone unreported.

Mexican Trailrunner - The Jocotepec Malecón Fishing Chairs

I found this list in the El Norte newspaper on Sunday, November 21, 2010. The Policia Federal has established 16 high-risk points for transporters as well as drivers in general.

Sinaloa Hwy 80

* Culiacán - La Reforma

Queretero Hwy 70

* Libramiento Noreste

Zacatecas Hwy 34

Puebla Hwy 32

* Amozoc - Quecholac

Tlaxcala Hwy 29

* Huamantla - Cuapiaxtla

Veracruz Hwy 85

* Villa Aldama - Xalapa

Durango Hwy 24

Guerrero Hwy 23

Hidalgo Hwy 13

Three other areas I'm not listing are in the D.F. metro area in Estado de Mexico, Morelia and the Big Tamal. The associated risk is set at roughly 30% although some of these areas have not had reported incidences which may mean there have been issues that have gone unreported.

What is the criteria being used - are we talking about holdups, carjacking, traffic accidents or what??

We just stayed in Los Mochis last week and saw nothing out of the ordinary, then left about 8 am to continue our journey to Baja.

Sinaloa Hwy 80

* Culiacán - La Reforma

Sinaloa Hwy 80

* Culiacán - La Reforma

Queretero Hwy 70

* Libramiento Noreste

Zacatecas Hwy 34

Puebla Hwy 32

* Amozoc - Quecholac

Tlaxcala Hwy 29

* Huamantla - Cuapiaxtla

Veracruz Hwy 85

* Villa Aldama - Xalapa

Durango Hwy 24

Guerrero Hwy 23

Hidalgo Hwy 13

And where exactly is this highway 80 in Sinaloa?

FYI--

We're in Patzcuaro for the next few months and today there was a massive shootout in Morelia. All entry points into Morelia were blocked by burning cars (commandeered by the bad guys), and 3 people were killed, including a small child. This is the second time in the past month or so that this has happened. The highway between Patzcuaro and Morelia was particularly targeted.

I am working in a printmaking studio here in Patzcuaro, and the director who lives in Morelia said he and his wife left Morelia just before the violence, and he's not sure if he'll be able to get home tonight. The university is closed, though I don't know for how long.

La Familia (this is the rumor) has decided to force the government's hand by withdrawing whatever "protection" they have been providing to Michoacan. The consensus is that they will step up their violence for a time and when the government has been shown to be incapable of protecting the population they will come back as heroes and put an end to it.

Here's a link to a Washington Post article about today's activity--http://www.washingtonpost.com/wp-dyn/content/article/2010/12/09/AR2010120903078.html

I don't think we'll be going into Morelia very much in the near future. It might be a good idea to bypass Morelia if you're going to the butterfly preserve. We can hope that things calm down in the near future, because Morelia is a beautiful city, worth visiting.

N.

FYI--

We're in Patzcuaro for the next few months and today there was a massive shootout in Morelia. All entry points into Morelia were blocked by burning cars (commandeered by the bad guys), and 3 people were killed, including a small child. This is the second time in the past month or so that this has happened. The highway between Patzcuaro and Morelia was particularly targeted.

I am working in a printmaking studio here in Patzcuaro, and the director who lives in Morelia said he and his wife left Morelia just before the violence, and he's not sure if he'll be able to get home tonight. The university is closed, though I don't know for how long.

La Familia (this is the rumor) has decided to force the government's hand by withdrawing whatever "protection" they have been providing to Michoacan. The consensus is that they will step up their violence for a time and when the government has been shown to be incapable of protecting the population they will come back as heroes and put an end to it.

Here's a link to a Washington Post article about today's activity--http://www.washingtonpost.com/wp-dyn/content/article/2010/12/09/AR2010120903078.html

I don't think we'll be going into Morelia very much in the near future. It might be a good idea to bypass Morelia if you're going to the butterfly preserve. We can hope that things calm down in the near future, because Morelia is a beautiful city, worth visiting.

N.

and click here for a more pictorial presentation of events - http://www.blogdelna...og+del+Narco%29

And so sad this is happening -

Archived