Chapala.com Webboard
ichbinsaege

Mexican Ovens

5 hours ago, Ian Greenwood said:

Just like apartment kitchens...it’s probably a man that never cooked...but he’s a designer..?

Who?

We have a higher-than-average priced gas stove and oven.  We found that, if we had the oven on high heat, and then turned it down later in the cooking process, the pilot light would just turn off.  Unless we checked the oven every few minutes and relit it when necessary, we would end up with a 1/2 cooked meal.     Now, if we have to lower the heat, we use the wooden spoon method to bring thetemperature down, and then turn the oven off, and reset the thermostat to the lower temperature.   There's usually no problem keeping the oven on if we don't play with the thermostat. Does anyone else have trouble keeping the oven lit if the temperature is lowered?  (It's ok, usually, if you raise the temperature, such as broiling in the last few minutes.)  

On 1/11/2020 at 11:39 PM, Ferret said:

I haven't had any success baking with propane ovens in Mexico but nor have I bought a top of the line propane stove here either.

I've always had inexpensive propane Mabe stoves in Mexico and I've never had any problem baking successfully in them.

You also have to add a little more "of whatever". I'm not saying you can't bake in a propane oven, I'm saying that the baked product turns out better with an electric oven. YMMV.

• Confused 1
  • Sad 1

I don't adjust anything for this altitude and all turns out fine. That said, if a recipe calls for 3 t of baking powder, I might use 2 1/2. 

I have been teaching cooking classes lakeside for the last eight years , Every month a different menu....four courses , each menu finishes with a dessert . I don’t repeat recipes so that’s approximately 100 desserts… I have never adjusted my recipes for altitude .Admittedly I do not make complex desserts I agree with my girl do you work with the oven do you have perseverance and patience .  P S Over the new year I had a piece of Tom Gates opera cake which is complex ....perfect....Looked like a professional job  !