Chapala.com Webboard

Mexican Ovens

ichbinsaege

We have a higher-than-average priced gas stove and oven.  We found that, if we had the oven on high heat, and then turned it down later in the cooking process, the pilot light would just turn off.  Unless we checked the oven every few minutes and relit it when necessary, we would end up with a 1/2 cooked meal.     Now, if we have to lower the heat, we use the wooden spoon method to bring thetemperature down, and then turn the oven off, and reset the thermostat to the lower temperature.   There's usually no problem keeping the oven on if we don't play with the thermostat. Does anyone else have trouble keeping the oven lit if the temperature is lowered?  (It's ok, usually, if you raise the temperature, such as broiling in the last few minutes.)  

I have been teaching cooking classes lakeside for the last eight years , Every month a different menu....four courses , each menu finishes with a dessert . I don’t repeat recipes so that’s approximately 100 desserts… I have never adjusted my recipes for altitude .Admittedly I do not make complex desserts I agree with my girl do you work with the oven do you have perseverance and patience .  P S Over the new year I had a piece of Tom Gates opera cake which is complex ....perfect....Looked like a professional job  !