Chapala.com Webboard

Mexican Ovens

ichbinsaege

I LOVE my Hamilton Beach electric convection oven which is big enough to cook two 12 inch pizzas.. For 23 years now, I have used a propane oven. It sucks because moisture is one of the byproducts of propane combustion. Muffins don't have crispy tops, pastry is chewy and pale and browning of chicken doesn't occur. Now, I have the best of both worlds... and the oven on my propane stove is storage. I also have noticed NO increase in my electricity consumption and it's been a busy little oven for two months now. Even a frozen pot pie cooks perfectly with flaky toasted pie crust. Mmmmmm GOOD!

You're lucky you had pictures on the dial. :) My oven, in San Miguel, had no markings whatsoever. Didn't matter because the oven had no thermostat and just got hotter and hotter. I gave up using it... for nine years. Amazing what you can make in an electric frying pan.

• Haha 2

On 1/10/2020 at 9:59 AM, Ferret said:

I LOVE my Hamilton Beach electric convection oven which is big enough to cook two 12 inch pizzas.. For 23 years now, I have used a propane oven. It sucks because moisture is one of the byproducts of propane combustion. Muffins don't have crispy tops, pastry is chewy and pale and browning of chicken doesn't occur. Now, I have the best of both worlds... and the oven on my propane stove is storage. I also have noticed NO increase in my electricity consumption and it's been a busy little oven for two months now. Even a frozen pot pie cooks perfectly with flaky toasted pie crust. Mmmmmm GOOD!

Professional chefs and most home cooks agree that the best combination is a gas cooktop and an electric oven.   

Because I hate splatter (and don't have a housekeeper), I use my patio gas grill almost to the exclusion of my indoor stove.  It has a separate side burner where I can sear duck breasts, fry fatty sausages and never worry about the grease that spritzes the brick wall (between the sun, the rain and the summer moss, the wall takes care of itself). 

I have become adept at using the gas grill with lid down as a substitute for my indoor oven.  No not for a souffle or an angel food cake, but I have done baked alaskas in it. And I can bake a pizza in it using fresh dough.  I also find the gas grill with cover down, the best way to reheat pizza as it imparts a lot of flavor from the burned off crunchies that lie beneath it.  

The weather here lends itself to outdoor cooking.  

1 hour ago, Bisbee Gal said:

Professional chefs and most home cooks agree that the best combination is a gas cooktop and an electric oven.   

I strongly beg to differ. This circa 1930 [total] natural gas stove is the best one I have ever had . The oven is ergonomically positioned so no bending. I do miss the broiler under the oven. Pot and pan storage is under the burners.

kitchen 1a.jpg

10 minutes ago, ComputerGuy said:

I think she meant separately, no?

10 minutes ago, ComputerGuy said:

I think she meant separately, no?

She said combination gas cooktop and an electric oven. And any chef I know prefer gas for both,not just me or all my friends who went from electric to gas. I don't do much in the oven here that I can do on my Weber.

charcoal starter 003.jpg

Pretty sure she said "the best combination'...

I use my gas grille when there is more than just me, especially for steaks and salmon. I pan-fry my ribeyes. I use my gas range or stovetop for soups, pastas, stir-fries (I installed a specially big gas jet for two of the burners to use with a wok), casserole-type dishes... and my Breville toaster oven for every other darn thing under the sun.

• Thanks 1

I have no idea where bisbe girl gets her “ chef facts “ from ,but the facts indicate that over 90% of professional chefs prefer gas and always have , finding commercial stoves that are gas / electric combos are next to impossible as there is no demand.... The only reasons I’ve ever seen electric stoves in professional kitchens is because gas wasn’t available or due to locational safety factors...electric convection ovens are a different matter .

• Thanks 1

Forgot to mention gas stoves are between 20 - 30 % cheaper to run than electric in most areas ...very important if you’re dancing with DAC . I have a large commercial Mexican range which is also crap ( badly designed and made ) but I’m used to it after 10 years..the oven thermostat does work...sometimes.

• Thanks 2

I guess it depends on what you're used to. I haven't had any success baking with propane ovens in Mexico but nor have I bought a top of the line propane stove here either. I came across this article which I thought was enlightening. Whatever, I'm happy with my propane burners for most things and the propane oven for storage. My counter top electric convection oven is a dream for baking with nicely browned, flaky pastry or crispy muffin tops. Put whatever you're baking in the oven and fuggedabout it until the timer goes off. Each to his/her own.

https://www.thekitchn.com/5-important-things-to-know-about-baking-in-a-gas-oven-226270

I certainly prefer gas, for both stovetop and oven.  I inherited a Kenmore microwave/convection oven combo.  I've used the microwave occasionally, but I've never used the convection feature.  

About 15 years ago in Guadalajara, I bought a floor model midrange (jaja, range) MABE stove that I loved until I had to give it up--long story.  LOVED.  The stovetop burners were completely adjustable, from the lowest simmer to the highest boil, and of course were instantly adjustable--because they were gas.  Long ago I purchased extremely heavy-duty MABE parrillas to replace the skinny ones that came with the stove, just because.  The oven held perfectly whatever temperature I required--I used a standard hang-on-the-rack oven thermometer.  I baked biscuits, corn bread, brownies/cookies/cakes, pizza from scratch, you name it, with never a hitch.

About a year ago, I reluctantly bought (on Facebook Marketplace) another MABE stove, 6 months old, in Mexico City, and schlepped it to Morelia with me--along with the thermometer and those heavy-duty parrillas.  Wonder of wonders, the new one works exactly as well as the old one. 

MABE rules, IMHO, and not for a whole lot of money.  I think I paid about $6000 pesos for each of mine. I hope I last as long as the new one will.

Dual stoves with gas burners and electric ovens are easily found in US and have been for years.  Used to be a niche item, but now made by GE, Samsung, LG, etc.  Here is link to Lowe's page...over 100 different models and sizes.  https://www.geappliances.com/ge/range-stove/dual-fuel-range-features-videos.htm  

In many updated US kitchens, there is a gas cooktop and separate electric wall ovens (usually one with convection feature, the best for baking).  

Found these dual stoves at Costco Mexico

https://www.costco.com.mx/Linea-Blanca/Enseres-Mayores/Estufas-y-Parrillas/Smeg-Estufa-dual-6-quemadores-36/p/510295W

https://www.costco.com.mx/Linea-Blanca/Enseres-Mayores/Estufas-y-Parrillas/Whirlpool-estufa-Dual-Oven-5-quemadores-30/p/643088

Tio Sam's can get them for you, https://eltiosampuertovallarta.com/etiqueta-producto/dual-fuel-range/

When I remodeled the ancient kitchen in this old house, I treated myself to a heavy duty six burner gas cooktop and a GE wall oven with all the features; all from Tio Sams. They gave me a 8% discount for paying in cash rather than credit card, and when I heard how long it takes them to get paid by card, I could see why.

I am totally happy with the equipment and have always preferred gas.  However, I find myself inclined to use  a small electric toaster oven way too often. Speedy!😉

26 minutes ago, Bisbee Gal said:

@happyjillin I had a similar stove to yours.  

Here is my 1927 Garland gas stove that we had at our c. 1911 Bisbee home.  Absolutely NO insulation in oven....this stove was the reason I learned to grill outdoors.  The burners were excellent though. 

bhouse8.jpg

Our dogs appreciated the lack of insulation as they lay under the stove. Our Moore's had a thermostat for the oven.

howdy under stove.jpg

Our rental has a gas stove with an oven that has a cute little shelf that pulls out when you open the door. It covers the little hole where you light the stove. Who designs these things? I have never gotten the oven to light so I use my little toaster/convection oven. I don't do baking anymore so it works like a charm. The only casualty is husband's favorite banana bread because the recipe makes 2 big loaves and the pans won't fit in the toaster oven. So it goes.