Chapala.com Webboard

Carlos Slim

mhn237

I know they block texts from some us cell companies. I had used one carrier in the U.S., My wife stopped getting my texts. we thought is was a phone problem but after she called they said "telcel" said there was no problem on her end. I checked with my carrier and they told me telcel was blocking the texts. They tried to work a deal with telcel but they told me they wanted to much money. I asked if there were other companies they had the same problem (as I speak to people in middle east, peru, and many other countries with no issues, and also mexico if they are not on telcel) they said telcel mexico was the only company they knew of. I have looked into other texting and there are many that telcel blocks.

It looks like he maybe a billion poorer but I am sure he will get out of it somehow.

http://latino.foxnews.com/latino/news/2011/04/25/carlos-slims-company-pay-billion-dollar-fine-monopolistic-practices/

Mexican internet speeds are some of the worst in the world. Although the US and Canada are much better they still suck. If you don't believe me, got to www.speedtest.net and left click on the link at the top of the page titled "World Results"

Yep, exactly.

We have 24 megabits down in a city of 50,000 when in the us. Here we have 2mb down in the capital of mexico state and it costs more than 12 costs there.

It sucks in the us compared to europe, here is much worse.

I spent a month Lakeside May/June. My Telmex wifi connection was very good, better than my Shaw cable connection here in Vancouver. Interesting. I've got a feeling Carlos will transition out of landlines into wireless. There lies the future. He will get out of the landline biz. So expect poorer and poorer landline service. I suspect that if you looked at his R&D budget it would be totally cell oriented. The guy "gets it", especially in South America. As for Jim Shaw, he's just a Carlos Slim wannabee, and a redneck jerk to boot (my apologies to all you redneck jerks, and yes, the gas in the tank of my 1980 Suburban is probably worth more than the vehicle). He bought the whole shebang off the Mx govt. for pennies on the peso cause it was a totally pathetic, corrupt, inefectual mess, masively hemoraging public funds. Now, at least you have a functional system, that, while imperfect, works.

Archived