Chapala.com Webboard

Carlos Slim

mhn237

Trust me, TelMex Prodigy is far from the worst Internet service. I dealt with worse signals from several different providers in Canada for years before coming here. Right now, in terms of pricing, Rogers is $36 plus tax for 3MB down, with a cap of 15 Gigs. Here, the 2GB service is roughly the same price, with no cap at all. Considering we are in the middle of Mexico, I think that's pretty good. I rarely get outages or speed problems, and I'm online a lot. Plus TelMex has free telephone support that's usually excellent.

People tend to forget that internet service is cheaper by the pound so to speak. The density of usage, namely number of customers per square mile, is going to be far lower in Mexico than it is in the U.S. for example. Although my brother in law here in Arlington Texas has much faster DSL than ours, it also costs $50 per month in a place where there are competing providers.

That certainly affects the amount of money available for such things as faster speeds and extension of service to unserved or poorly served areas.

What would really help us at Lakeside is for the cable company to get their act together and offer reasonably reliable internet service. That could be a real alternative to TelMex.

Unfortunately, we seem to be stuck with a bush league cable company. I keep hoping one of the big outfits from GDL will take it over and turn it into a decent supplier of both TV and Internet.

I keep hoping one of the big outfits from GDL will take it over and turn it into a decent supplier of both TV and Internet.

I hate to disillusion you, but your Lakeside cable company IS one of the big outfits from Guadalajara. Unfortunately, it's the worst one.

My Prodigy DSL speed here is twice as fast as it was in California. I don't envy Mr. Slim, I applaud him. We are fortunate to enjoy the level of services we have here. When you improve the system then feel free to criticize same.

TioBob

Guest RevImmigrant

I don't find the service that bad either. I had Deutsche Telekom in Germany, excellent service, but I paid 49 Euros a month for unlimited internet and telephone, including long-distance within Germany, for calls to a Festnetz (landline) phone. Calls to cell phones were extra, as were calls outside of Germany.

I have high speed prodigy and telecable internet . My skype is so much better than on telecable than on prodigy. Infact using skype to England is clearer than using the telephone line and of course much cheaper.I have heard that telmex do something to skype but I really have no idea if its true.

I agree that TelMex is certainly lacking when it comes to new lines. I'd be curious to find out what their break-even point is financially, and if their logistics group considers only in-ground cabling when assessing areas.

Re Skype: TelMex does nothing to impede Skype or any VoIP phone system. It would be overwhelmingly time-and-cost consuming to manipulate individual accounts, so they would have to use a system of blocking the ports that use VoIP, and everyone would have the same problem. And since we're not blocked with Packet 8, Vonage, Skype, Magic Jack, Windows Live Call, Yahoo Messenger calling, or all the others, it's quite certain they don't. (In fact, I find my Skype-to-phone to be excellent, and my Skype-Skype better than the phone system.)

Here's a brief look at those countries that do not believe in "net neutrality", and have blocked VoIP or considered it: http://www.voip-sol.com/10-isps-and-countries-known-to-have-blocked-voip/

Hopefully to explain why he has the worst telephone and internet service in this hemisphere and charges the most for it.

Sadly Canada has higher prices and worse service.

A quote from the following website: http://news.bbc.co.uk/2/hi/8560812.stm, that mentions $6 billion he has pledged to "his three charitable foundations".

And Mr Slim has said he is not convinced that philanthropy is the best way to help people. "(Bill) Gates has to study how he can (fight poverty) in the same way that Microsoft...succeeded in business, because charity has not solved the problem," he told USA today."It's based on my conviction that poverty is not fought with donations, charity or even public spending, but that you fight it with health, education and jobs." Still working, the tycoon has indicated he has no desire to retire from business to concentrate more on charitable work, as Mr Gates has done.

As he said in a recent interview: "Wealth is like an orchard. You have to share the fruit, not the trees."

This is his fundation: http://www.fundaciontelmex.org/

It is very popular in Mexico, and people likes him... recently his son got married in wich was called Mexico´s royal wedding.http://www.quien.com/espectaculos/2010/10/10/asi-fue-la-boda-de-carlos-slim-domit-y-maria-elena-torruco

Besides Telmex he has some other very suseccfull bussineses suc as SEARS, Saks fifth ave, Inbursa, mix up, sanbonrs... you name it!!!

Thanks for posting when it was going to be on cnn otherwise i wouldnt have known and it is rare thet he gives interviews.

.Well slim could have been the caring gandfather of everyone or father depending on your age. Great maketing. He could have been the guy next door.

Trust me, TelMex Prodigy is far from the worst Internet service. I dealt with worse signals from several different providers in Canada for years before coming here. Right now, in terms of pricing, Rogers is $36 plus tax for 3MB down, with a cap of 15 Gigs. Here, the 2GB service is roughly the same price, with no cap at all. Considering we are in the middle of Mexico, I think that's pretty good. I rarely get outages or speed problems, and I'm online a lot. Plus TelMex has free telephone support that's usually excellent.

Maybe not the slowest but almost. Here is a comparison of internet speeds around the world. Of the 30 countries shown on the chart Mexico is second to last. Even Turkey, where we lived for 3 years and which is at about the same stage of development as Mexico, has better service.

Maybe not the slowest but almost. Here is a comparison of internet speeds around the world. Of the 30 countries shown on the chart Mexico is second to last. Even Turkey, where we lived for 3 years and which is at about the same stage of development as Mexico, has better service.

The chart does not appear to measure only Telmex, but rather all Internet service providers in Mexico. The first complaint about service in this thread compared Mexico to all other countries in this hemisphere. The chart you provided only lists the three North American countries, leaving out altogether Central and South America, where from my experience, prices tend to be high and service low.

If you could provide a source for the chart, it would be appreciated, as I expect that being on the chart at all is an indication of good Internet speed, rather than slow speeds by the service providers.

The chart does not appear to measure only Telmex, but rather all Internet service providers in Mexico. The first complaint about service in this thread compared Mexico to all other countries in this hemisphere. The chart you provided only lists the three North American countries, leaving out altogether Central and South America, where from my experience, prices tend to be high and service low.

If you could provide a source for the chart, it would be appreciated, as I expect that being on the chart at all is an indication of good Internet speed, rather than slow speeds by the service providers.

Mexican internet speeds are some of the worst in the world. Although the US and Canada are much better they still suck. If you don't believe me, got to www.speedtest.net and left click on the link at the top of the page titled "World Results"

In my condo in Seattle, the best I have seen is about 24 meg down by 3 or 4 meg up. The regulars there are not happy with that slow speed and are going to change providers where the download is adversized as 100 megs down and the upload 50 megs/second.

What we get around here (lakeside) is like 1/15th to 1/20th of the speeds in faster areas.

At the cottage up North all I have is dialup or if I were willing to pay for it, satellite internet.

Thanks to the OP for the heads-up on the Carlos Slim interview. I really enjoyed it.

I thought he was guardingly candid, articulate, well versed in English and in the arts, very nervous or apprehensive, stressed the importance of family life for a good upbringing, VERY SMART, a profound gentleman even tho King INSISTED on asking the same lame question as many ways as he could think of to get a rise out of Slim. . .King - SOOOO, what's it like to be the richest man in the world!!!!!! How many businesses do you really own?????!!!???? To be fair, there were a couple of good questions that allowed a brief glimpse into Slims personal life and the Mexican culture. Could have been a better interview, IMHO.

Must be such a challenge to keep him and his family safe.

Another repeated lame question. . .King - SOOOO, why do you live so simply? Why not have a bigger house? More stuff! Slim said he had no need for a larger grander house as he does not have a large family and he prefers his kids share their bedroom and bathroom so they learn to coexist with others. Cool. Said it wasn't stuff that made people happy.

For those who hadn't seen it, Slim also said he started making financial investments at the age of 11. I wasn't prepared to like him, but I really did.

Mexican Trailrunner - The Jocotepec Malecón Fishing Chairs Update

[What would really help us at Lakeside is for the cable company to get their act together and offer reasonably reliable internet service. That could be a real alternative to TelMex.]

Unfortunately, cable is dying. Way too expensive to build out here.

Slim wants to get into cable TV but he intends to do it using his phone wiring. AT&T is doing that in the states and is offering 3 TV recievers and 6MB download speed. Plenty of bandwidth to stream video. Basically, it is very high speed DSL with a smart router. If you are not streaming video, the router can channel all the bandwith to your computer and you can get downloads of 20MB+.

Slim is not going to upgrade his system until the government lets him stream video. The day that happens, then things will start to improve

I found the chart on Gizmodo but it looks like it originated at worldpolitics.com. If you don't like the graph, take a look at Pete Johanson's source on speedtest.net where you will see that Mexico is 94th in the world for download speeds and 117th for uploads. And when you look at the list, check out the countries that are better and worse than Mexico. It's very revealing and Mexico does not show up well in this regard.

Carlos Slim made his killing when he bought Telmex back in 1990, most of his fortune in Mexico was built with ease because of his political alliance with president Carlos Salinas

who made it easy for him to achieve what he has done, the reason the internet sucks here is because Telmex owns most of it and just like in the U.S many phone companies carry the last mile connectivity, kind if ironic that Telmex is the only company in Mexico that can offer DSL, and yes the previous post above about Telmex wanting to offer TV and Internet will not likely happen until we see another PRI governement, which means that until such time it leaves little room open for heavy hitters to provide real bandwidth in Mexico.

Cable companies in the Big city such as Guad, Mexico city seem to do well compared to Telmex offering better speeds but then again most of them are using the infrastructure Worldcom and ATT added in the 90's only after getting screwed by Carlos Slim, but then again thats another long story, Lets face it Telmex has always been a little slow in being ahead of technology after all they where one of the last companies to begin offering internet in Mexico in fact Telmex did not offer any kind if internet until 1998 when other ISP's had internet service since 1990 including the university of Guadalajara, infosel and others.

This is another reason that Carlos Slim probably waited on rolling out more services, in the 1990's anyone could offer Internet dial up connectivity but unfortunately Telmex could not compete with many of the small ISP's popping up all over the country, this is why DSL came out so late, mainly because Carlos wanted to make sure he could work out a deal with the Governement and be the only one to offer DSL otherwise his success would not be so great.

Jeff

Archived