Chapala.com Webboard

Prescriptions Now Needed for Antibiotics?

leem

Yes, and while I haven't had to fill an antibiotic prescription since the rule is in effect, my doctor last week said not to be surprised if you are asked for an ID with address when you fill a prescription and that random checks would be made by health personel (don't know which agency) to your door verifying that you did indeed fill the prescription for whatever problem for which it was prescribed.

A friend needed antibiotics and found by shopping around that some places don't require the prescription.

What your friend found is that some places aren't enforcing the Mexican federal law that went into effect on August 25 requiring a prescription to purchase antibiotics. A prescription for buying antibiotics is now required everywhere in Mexico. Here in Morelia, pharmacies that are non-compliant are being fined--and fined enough to matter to them.

All Mexican pharmacies are overseen by physicians, many of whom are actually present at the pharmacy if you happen to be there, need an antibiotic, and don't have a prescription. The attending physician will write one for you, either for a small fee or free.

That wasn't real helpful. Like......shopping around....where? :rolleyes:

At the pharmacy on the south side of the Ajijic plaza. The gal said the doctor is usually in the back and could write you one but she sold it without doing that.

Also, the generic pharmacy beside the Clinica Maskaras. They have a doctor who does all their prescriptions, after the fact. Both pharmacies, for that service, charge a minimum of $150 pesos on top of the price of your medication. And at least at the one, they charge it for each item.

AHEM! Highway robbery!

Ignoring completely the discussion about who is responsible enough and who isn't, there are many people who have recurring problems that require use of the same antibiotic or other prescription type. Up north, one goes to a doctor each time and gets charged for the prescription. If you have a plan, they will phone it in to the drugstore, and you don't see any transaction other than when you go to pick it up. Few doctors will prescribe more than two or three rounds of the same treatment.

This was much easier to deal with here: you know what you need, you just go get it. Most doctors around here will charge you to write a prescription, and few will give you more than two or three repeats. So off you go to a place where you don't need one, saving time and money for something you already understand. Example: friend has fibromyalgia, requires strong sleeping pills. Considered narcotics, and therefore requires prescription. Needs to see the doctor every two months to renew. Can barely walk. What would you do... go to the doctor, pay for a scrip, then go to the drugstore? Or just go to the drugstore, and pay their doctor?

Ignoring completely the discussion about who is responsible enough and who isn't, there are many people who have recurring problems that require use of the same antibiotic or other prescription type. Up north, one goes to a doctor each time and gets charged for the prescription. If you have a plan, they will phone it in to the drugstore, and you don't see any transaction other than when you go to pick it up. Few doctors will prescribe more than two or three rounds of the same treatment.

This was much easier to deal with here: you know what you need, you just go get it. Most doctors around here will charge you to write a prescription, and few will give you more than two or three repeats. So off you go to a place where you don't need one, saving time and money for something you already understand. Example: friend has fibromyalgia, requires strong sleeping pills. Considered narcotics, and therefore requires prescription. Needs to see the doctor every two months to renew. Can barely walk. What would you do... go to the doctor, pay for a scrip, then go to the drugstore? Or just go to the drugstore, and pay their doctor?

You are talking apples and oranges here. The reason for the changes in antibiotic prescriptions is due to overuse and inappropriate use. With all the "antibacterial" products on the market, the weak bacteria get killed off and the strong survive to breed faster. When people self diagnose and use antibiotics for every sniffle, when there is a serious bacterial infection, it can be incredibly difficult to cure.

Help me understand--really. What chronic condition requires ongoing antibiotics?

I have a friend that has had sistitis (not sure of spelling) in the bladder for years. She has been on antibiotics for at least 20/25 years. It is a small does that helps to keep it under control.

Yesterday, I came down with a horrible case of bronchitis. I went to the Farmacia Morelos in Chapala and asked the woman what she would recommend. She gave me a combination antibiotic and expectorant and then mentioned that, since there's a new law requiring a prescription, that I would need to pay $30p extra to have the doctor prepare a prescription (after the fact). The medicine plus prescription "fee" came to $145p. That sure beats the price at Maskaras Clinic, and the remedy seems to be working just fine.

Yesterday, I came down with a horrible case of bronchitis. I went to the Farmacia Morelos in Chapala and asked the woman what she would recommend. She gave me a combination antibiotic and expectorant and then mentioned that, since there's a new law requiring a prescription, that I would need to pay $30p extra to have the doctor prepare a prescription (after the fact). The medicine plus prescription "fee" came to $145p. That sure beats the price at Maskaras Clinic, and the remedy seems to be working just fine.

Wow, inflation. In late 2008, consulting the Dr at the Farmacia in Chapala was 15 pesos.

At the pharmacy on the south side of the Ajijic plaza. The gal said the doctor is usually in the back and could write you one but she sold it without doing that.

This is why we have so many antibiotic resistant cases. Abuse of the system will result in catastrophic consequences not only for us but for future generations. My father was a pharmacist and he was very concerned about the overused of antibiotics and cortisone. He refused to used cortisone for my asthma when I was a child and finally , in my early twenties it went away. He was afraid of the long term use of cortisone and medical studies has proven him right.

Archived