Chapala.com Webboard

Volaris/Southwest hookup

jailbait

Southwest To Offer Mexico Service Through Volaris AgreementFont size: A | A | A2:23 PM ET 10/28/10 | Dow Jones

RELATED QUOTES

4:01 PM ET 10/28/10

Symbol Last % Chg

AAI 7.41 0.00%

LUV 13.76 0.00%

Real time quote.

DOW JONES NEWSWIRES

Southwest Airlines Co. (LUV) detailed a plan to start a new effort allowing its customers to book international flights with Mexico's Volaris, that country's second-leading carrier, connecting three California airports and five Mexican destinations.

The discount company announced plans in 2008 to code-share with the Mexican carrier after upgrading its computer system. It had initially seen starting the program early this year. Thursday's announcement is short of a full code-share system, under which carriers sell tickets on one another's flights.

The plan comes as Southwest is in the midst of acquiring AirTran Holdings Inc. (AAI) for about $1.41 billion, which would give the carrier its first international routes. Meanwhile, airlines are enjoying a rebound in demand as consumers and business travelers return to the sky.

The plan would allow customers to fly to Cancun, Guadalajara, Morelia, Toluca-Mexico City and Zacatecas. Flights would connect through Los Angeles International Airport, Oakland International, and San Jose International.

Customers are set to be able to book service starting on Nov. 12 for travel starting Dec. 1.

Southwest shares were down 7 cents at $13.69 in recent trading. The stock has gained about 20% this year.

-By Matt Jarzemsky, Dow Jones Newswires; 212-416-2240; matthew.jarzemsky@dowjones.com

Volaris already has non stop flights from Guad, Mexcio DF to LA, Oakland-SFO and San Jose- Previously very popular routes on Mexicana-

so you can book directly with Volaris no need to wait for Southwest.

Heard a rumor from a group of Mexicans here yesterday that another group may take over Mexicana routes starting in Jan. (But just a rumor)

Volaris already has non stop flights from Guad, Mexcio DF to LA, Oakland-SFO and San Jose- Previously very popular routes on Mexicana-

so you can book directly with Volaris no need to wait for Southwest.

Heard a rumor from a group of Mexicans here yesterday that another group may take over Mexicana routes starting in Jan. (But just a rumor)

I think the intent of the Southwest/Volaris hookup is not to replace Volaris' routes in Mexico, but tie those flights into connections with Southwest to reach other destinations in the US.

I think the intent of the Southwest/Volaris hookup is not to replace Volaris' routes in Mexico, but tie those flights into connections with Southwest to reach other destinations in the US.

Several months ago the US FAA reduced its quality rating to 2 on Mexico's supervision of the Mexican airlines. As a 2, no Mexican airline is permitted to do a codeshare with a US airline.

My take on this announcement is that Southwest and Volaris are preparing to do a codeshare when Mexico's rating is restored to a 1,which the Mexican government has promised to do as soon as possible.

Look deeper & think harder. I remember the 'gold flow restrictions', which were not only unfair, but unfounded and unconstitutional. We won that one, but it had its costs, nevertheless. As the US economy falters, we may see more 'impediments' to foreign travel pop up out of the blue.

Look deeper & think harder. I remember the 'gold flow restrictions', which were not only unfair, but unfounded and unconstitutional. We won that one, but it had its costs, nevertheless. As the US economy falters, we may see more 'impediments' to foreign travel pop up out of the blue.

I totally agree. IMO it was NEVER about the safety of Mexican airlines, always about propping-up U.S. carriers.

Archived