Chapala.com Webboard

Any Recent Reviews for Restaurante Pranza?

tigerlily

I reviewed our one experience...probably in the last month or so, but well after they opened.

Can't find it now. But here is a recap of mine:

Four of us went for comida. Two ordered different pasta dishes. Two ordered sandwiches. We were all disappointed with the food and the service. The sauces were strangely sweet and surely not Italian. The salads were served without any dressing. A good waiter should notice that.

None of us would return.

Some people must like it because there are usually tables filled as we pass by. Different strokes.

If you like Italian, there are several better places to have comida, IMO. I'm sure someone will jump in and mention their favorites.

We've tried it a few times over several months, since they opened. We like the garden setting but they just can't seem to 'get it together'. Sometimes the coffee is OK, sometimes it is dishwater; never really good. Bacon omelets may contain one or two bacon bits, waiters confuse orders so it seems someone at the table is always waiting while everyone else eats, etc., etc. The owners and staff are very nice & always have excuses and promises to fix the problems. They don't, so we gave up on them.

Guest RevImmigrant

I was there with a group of ladies about 2-3 weeks ago. The pasta dishes weren't good, particularly the sauces. The coffee was OK. I won't eat there again.

I can easily walk to Pranza from where we live (a big plus for me). The setting is great. I went twice after they opened and.....hated it. Awful. I wrote the place off. But then...

About a month ago I met some people at Pranza (their choice) for a little lunch meeting. My expectations could not have been lower so I ordered the simplest thing I could find on the menu. I think it was what they call a "Chicken Cesar Pannini". I was almost afraid to see what would happen next but the sandwich arrived and.....I enjoyed it! (It wasn't really a panini but I didn't care. It tasted good.)

So I'm hoping maybe they're improving. I admit I haven't hurried back, but I'm going to give it another try. At some point. I want it to get better and maybe it has.

We went once to this Italian" place.

It wasn't. The pasta was overdone and the sauce was far more Mexican than Italian.

I wish them well - and maybe they'll make it from the after-show crowds from the auditorio.

Maybe we'll try again in a few months.

Now we're back to Quattro Mori and Trattoria.

Still looking for real Southern Italian (Napoli) pizza. The folks here can put on cheese and make decent crusts, but their red sauces are way off the mark.

Well, I'm going to disagree profoundly with the reviews here so far. We love Pranza. Their Lasagna is outstanding, I just had the Fettucini Shrimp last night and loved it. We found their corn soup to be great, and the chocolate cake is the best I've had in Mexico. We always found the service very good, and the owners are always there and willing to check that things are as they should be.

I've got to agree with Cyn2. I went there about a month ago for lunch with 3 others. It's been awhile, so I can't recall what we all had, but we all agreed the food was very good and the service was great. We had pasta dishes. They weren't authentically Italian, but very tasty none the less. I will return.

We had lunch there about a month ago and thought the portions, price and service all good. 'Italianish' as my wife said. Our only mistake was sitting in the courtyard too close to the kitchen and the exhaust fan blowing smoke and heat out the window. We thought next time we'd sit curb side. We liked it and we'll go back.

Archived