Chapala.com Webboard

Obvious comparison

slainte39

Tonite--went out for dinner. First choice was Tango, but when we arrived there, about 6:30 PM, the waiting line was about 12 or 15 people. So not wanting to wait, we picked Roberto's for our second choice.

The place was empty except for our table of two and one other table with two people. Service couldn't be better as there was probably three wait staff for every customer. The big difference, besides clientele, was the quanity and price of the meals. We both ordered sea bass as the main course, which comes with rice, for 135.00 pesos each for a total of 270.00 pesos. When we go to Tango, we usually order the beef filet for two (750 grams) for 188.00 pesos, which includes a plate of potatoes or vegetables, and usually have leftover to take away. The fish portions at Roberto's were average size at best to a little on the light side.

It's not hard to figure this one, as people DO vote with their feet and PURSES.

I will add that quality was not an issue with either restaurant and Roberto's does have ambiance and parking.

Just an anecdotal observance of one particular evening.

Tonite--went out for dinner. First choice was Tango, but when we arrived there, about 6:30 PM, the waiting line was about 12 or 15 people. So not wanting to wait, we picked Roberto's for our second choice.

The place was empty except for our table of two and one other table with two people. Service couldn't be better as there was probably three wait staff for every customer. The big difference, besides clientele, was the quanity and price of the meals. We both ordered sea bass as the main course, which comes with rice, for 135.00 pesos each for a total of 270.00 pesos. When we go to Tango, we usually order the beef filet for two (750 grams) for 188.00 pesos, which includes a plate of potatoes or vegetables, and usually have leftover to take away. The fish portions at Roberto's were average size at best to a little on the light side.

It's not hard to figure this one, as people DO vote with their feet and PURSES.

I will add that quality was not an issue with either restaurant and Roberto's does have ambiance and parking.

Just an anecdotal observance of one particular evening.

In the rest of North America and the Caribbean, Sea Bass is generally called Grouper. A meal of Grouper in Florida is usually less than 8.99usd and less than 90mxn here at Lakeside. This probably explains why Tango had a lineup and Roberto's was empty. Value for Peso. How much is parking and ambiance worth?

DaveP

I often wonder if restaurant owners here ever go to each others places to see what's happening there... I like Roberto's, but I also like the ambience of a fuller restaurant, and the dollar value isn't really there.

In the rest of North America and the Caribbean, Sea Bass is generally called Grouper. A meal of Grouper in Florida is usually less than 8.99usd and less than 90mxn here at Lakeside. This probably explains why Tango had a lineup and Roberto's was empty. Value for Peso. How much is parking and ambiance worth?

DaveP

If the fish was sold (either wholesale to the restaurant or retail to the client) as Chilean sea bass, it's Patagonian toothfish, not grouper OR sea bass. The P. toothfish was dubbed Chilean sea bass as a marketing device; sea bass sounds way more tasty than toothfish.

If the fish was sold (either wholesale to the restaurant or retail to the client) as Chilean sea bass, it's Patagonian toothfish, not grouper OR sea bass. The P. toothfish was dubbed Chilean sea bass as a marketing device; sea bass sounds way more tasty than toothfish.

WOW!! That's an erudite explanation of the "sea bass" situation, which never crossed my mind--but since the fish was served without a head, I didn't have a chance to look for the "teeth" or determine it's nationality. LOL

The comparison is not so obvious: it's apples and oranges. As in, fish vs. the famed bargain "steak for two", which is a really great deal; no question. If you order fish at Tango's (they do have it now), you will find it is quite pricey. We went with friends for lunch and it was more expensive than the regular steak plates. Nothing came with it except the basket of rolls and veggies/potatoes on the main dish plate.

Secondly, Roberto's not only serves appetizers and bread, but also serves a side salad or soup with their dinners. It seems fairer to compare a fish dinner with a fish dinner, including soup/salad prices.

Tango's is very popular, especially on weekends and if you enjoy a full restaurant, then that's a good choice for you. Not a good choice if you want to have a conversation with your dinner partners......but the food is good.

And yes indeed, the "purse" factor seems to be extremely important here. Check out Roberto's on Sunday afternoon when the "TWOFER" dinners are on. Not an empty seat in the house. This ends at the end of October.

My husband and I like dining out, and we also like good values. Ambiance is important as well. The very best value is, of course, eating at home. (lol) I think that both Roberto's and Ajijic Tango provide better value than many of the other so-called "upscale" restaurants in this area.

The "sea bass" served here and sold in the markets is neither Chilean Sea Bass nor Grouper. It's some kind of mild tasting white fish. It's a good fish, but not in the same league as the other two - and when either of the above are available here in restaurants it fetches a pretty penny!

The "sea bass" served here and sold in the markets is neither Chilean Sea Bass nor Grouper. It's some kind of mild tasting white fish. It's a good fish, but not in the same league as the other two - and when either of the above are available here in restaurants it fetches a pretty penny!

It's probably the ubiquitous "tilapia" farm-raised "somewhere". I fear that the good old days of identifiable fish, including the good wild salmon, may be a fond memory in most places. I can remember buying salmon at the wharf in Santa Cruz, almost wiggling. Oh yum. Alas. :010:

The comparison is not so obvious: it's apples and oranges. As in, fish vs. the famed bargain "steak for two", which is a really great deal; no question. If you order fish at Tango's (they do have it now), you will find it is quite pricey. We went with friends for lunch and it was more expensive than the regular steak plates. Nothing came with it except the basket of rolls and veggies/potatoes on the main dish plate.

Secondly, Roberto's not only serves appetizers and bread, but also serves a side salad or soup with their dinners. It seems fairer to compare a fish dinner with a fish dinner, including soup/salad prices.

Tango's is very popular, especially on weekends and if you enjoy a full restaurant, then that's a good choice for you. Not a good choice if you want to have a conversation with your dinner partners......but the food is good.

And yes indeed, the "purse" factor seems to be extremely important here. Check out Roberto's on Sunday afternoon when the "TWOFER" dinners are on. Not an empty seat in the house. This ends at the end of October.

My husband and I like dining out, and we also like good values. Ambiance is important as well. The very best value is, of course, eating at home. (lol) I think that both Roberto's and Ajijic Tango provide better value than many of the other so-called "upscale" restaurants in this area.

Yes, I agree it was not a fair comparison and very subjective, but I would never consider ordering fish at Tango, as it has a very good steak selection. The reason we switched to fish at Roberto's was that the one time we tried their steak offering it wasn't that good and they seem to have made seafood their "forte". I usually order their "Jersey Shore" platter which is pretty good if you like deep fried seafood fare. Unfortunately, Sundays are not an option for us to dine out, so comparing with different conditions, like days, wouldn't work.

My comparison was not steak to steak nor fish to fish, but food served, and the price, for what we wanted on that particular time slot--plus the amount of clientele in the two restaurants.

I knew what I posted could be rationalized a hundred different ways but that's good as we all need hear other people's opinions--it makes us think and keeps us informed.

You might want to reconsider ordering fish at Tango. We didn't, but our two friends with us did, and were absolutely delighted. One had the salmon and the other had the tuna. They both loved it. It was prepared on their grill, which is also my favorite way of having it.

Tango also has outstanding chicken. The grilled boneless half chicken is always moist and tender, with or without the sauce.

I really have only one complaint about Tango: the gawdawful techo-rock music they have on at the earlier lunch....a time when it's gringo geezer central, for the most part. Does the manager care? Nope. Not a bit, based on the response when I suggested perhaps something else might be more agreeable. Like Spanish guitar, maybe? Or anything other than noise suitable for a Guad nightclub catering to youngsters?

Their competition plays something more appetizing. ALL their competition, I might add. Is anyone in charge listening????

Oh well. Most of us are getting deaf anyway. lol.

Archived