Chapala.com Webboard

Pastry receipe

cedros

In Ajijic, you can buy lard at the butcher shop at the corner of Marcos Castellanos and Guadalupe Victoria, right in front of the fountain on the "art walk".

In Morelia, I buy it from my butcher at our neighborhood tianguis. All I do is take a small plastic container (Tupperware or whatever) and have the butcher fill it up. The container I use holds a quarter kilo (1/2 lb). The butcher shop will do the same thing for you. The lard keeps forever in the refrigerator.

You do not want to buy the godawful pre-packaged Mexican white lard sold in bricks; it's horrible. The recently rendered lard from the butcher is marvelous. I use it for many things, including preparing Chinese stir-fries; today's comida was stir-fried beef and broccoli in oyster sauce. The lard gives Chinese food a much richer flavor than peanut or vegetable oil does.

And MountainGal is right: lard is much healthier for you than other shortenings and the calorie content is the same. Same thing with butter: it's healthier for you than margarine, and the calorie content is the same. Fat calories are fat calories.

Soriana also sells manteca de cerdo-in yogurt sized containers.

I made some pastry using butter as shortening. The receipe said to have the butter at room temperature. I was using Eugenia brand butter but at room temperature it was virtually a liquid-impossible to cut into the flour. I couldn't get it solid fast enough so I used imported butter. The pastry turned out very well. I used Selecta brand flour. Now to try it with manteca de cerdo.

Archived