Chapala.com Webboard

Zacatecas to Lake Chapala

d-d

We're in Zacatecas and heading back to Lake Chapala Wednesday morning and we're considering different routes. Point to point goes on the quota to Aguascalientes then Hwy 80 to Guad. Hwy 54 would be a straight shot down, but looks a little twisty, but pretty. I think someone once told me about Hwy 23, but I don't remember if it was good or bad.

Any experience would be appreciated.

Rt. 54 from Zacatecas is a straight shot and there are some neat little towns for stops, lunch, etc. Most of it is quite straight with only the last little bit winding along the edge of the gorge immediately north of Guadalajara. That part is particularly beautiful, but the driver has to pay attention to the road and, unfortunately, there aren't any 'mirador' stopping spots for photographic opportunities, which would be very nice.

We've driven that route and enjoyed it on more than one occasion.

The fastest route is definitely the cuota through Aguascalientes to 80 then south to Guad. Scenery is pretty gorgeous too. Never been the Highway 54 route, but it is apparently not a cuota, so you may find some slow stretches behind big trucks or other slow movers. If you are not in a hurry, it might be worth it to try.

Hmmm. Now there's the voice of no experience with Rt. 54. Except for the part just before Guadalajara, and through a couple of towns, it is more direct, cheaper and faster; much of it allowed us to drive at 80 MPH; although it was just a bit over the limit.

Aguascalientes is out of the way and, if you go through town, a good opportunity to get lost for a while. Signs there are poor.

Thanks for the advice. We'll take Hwy 54 and enjoy the trip. We crossed at Piedras Negras and took 57 and 54 to Zacatecas, with road construction in Saltillo being the only problem. When they complete the bypass that will be a slick route. I enjoyed the road condition and the lack of traffic more than the cuota from Laredo. We didn't have to dig out too much money for tolls either. I'm sure we'll enjoy the rest of the trip.

Thanks again,

D&D

Archived