Chapala.com Webboard

Stopover Between Mazatlan & San Carlos?

jkgourmet

We will be stopping in Mazatlan and San Carlos for a few days of beach time on our way back to Phoenix (which sadly, has no beaches :))

As we try to keep our driving time to 6 maybe 7 hours per day, this leg of the trip looks to be a bit long and we're thinking we should stop over someplace.

We will have the dog with us.

Is there anyplace interesting along this route, or should we just find a no-tell motel around Los Mochis? Other ideas?

It isn't a route with a lot of interesting things to see. Topolobampo is a funny little fishing village just southwest of Los Mochis. It has a decent motel. Topo has some nice beaches and a bat cave. Navojoa has several nice motels that take dogs. A lot of people like to visit the nearby colonial town of Alamos.

Thanks, tomgates. But that looks like it's less than 200 miles north of Maz. A bit too close for a midway stop.

I suspect Tom is referring to Navojoa - we just did this trip both ways - there really isn't much choice between Mazatlan and Navojoa. We made it from Ajijic to Alamos the first day but that would be a longer day than you care for. Mazatlan to Alamos should be around 6-7 hours, depending on your speed and problems (like potholes) that you might encounter on the way. It is the nicest stopover point on your route. We were happy to see the place again after an absence of several years. If you just want somewhere to spend the night, then Navojoa will be ideal.

I suspect Tom is referring to Navojoa - we just did this trip both ways - there really isn't much choice between Mazatlan and Navojoa. We made it from Ajijic to Alamos the first day but that would be a longer day than you care for. Mazatlan to Alamos should be around 6-7 hours, depending on your speed and problems (like potholes) that you might encounter on the way. It is the nicest stopover point on your route. We were happy to see the place again after an absence of several years. If you just want somewhere to spend the night, then Navojoa will be ideal.

More likely he means Navolato. There is a Best Western there also.

Navajoa is only about 100 mikes of San Carlos, isn't it?

Navaltola only about 200 miles north of Maz, I think.

Neither sound like midway stops between Maz and dan Carlos.

Los mochis does appear to be midway, but doesn't look like it's worth anything but a place to stop and sleep, correct?

Cedros, thx for the suggestion of Topo. We will look into that and let you guys know what we end up with.

Other thoughts / suggestions are welcome.

When I got off the ferry in Topo at 11pm there didn't appear to be any places to stay so drove into Los Moches. There was one hotel/motel downtown with parking but don't remember the outskirts

There is a nice motel about 4 minutes from the ferry.

We stayed overnight in Los Mochis on the way north and on the way back. If you will google TripAdvisor you will see many hotels to stay in. We stayed in an old but refurbished hotel with a restaurant; I think it was the Plaza Inn; fancy rooms with marble baths but a bit musty. I'd try the Best Western next time; we've had good luck with their hotels in Mexico. Topolobampo beach is 25 kms. on a nice blvd. and we went there for a beach walk and seafood--stopped at the busiest restaurant and it was fine--came back before dark and it was a great outing, altho probably packed in weekends. Los Mochis is where tourists go who visit the Copper Canyon so it is well prepared for international travelers. It's a "new" city built by mining interests. Interesting history about a failed experimental community of expats in the late 1800's. They thought it was the perfect spot.

• 2 weeks later...

A good place to stop with your dog is in Cuidad Obregon at the Valle Grande hotel. They accept pets (mention the pet at registration) and the property is secure, has a nice dining room, lounge and room-service, too. !Buena Suerte!

If you don't mind adding time to your trip you could turn into Guasave and head to the little shell beach of Las Glorias which is about 40 minutes away. There is an RV park and small motel/palapa restaurant there that is just wonderful. (Please have an order of camarones rellenos and a pina colada for me) And the beach is adorable. If you are interested I can find more info for you.

If you don't mind adding time to your trip you could turn into Guasave and head to the little shell beach of Las Glorias which is about 40 minutes away. There is an RV park and small motel/palapa restaurant there that is just wonderful. (Please have an order of camarones rellenos and a pina colada for me) And the beach is adorable. If you are interested I can find more info for you.

It's October and I think Jeanette has already left town.

Archived