Chapala.com Webboard

IPhone in Mexico

ajijicer

I go back and forth to Mexico and am about to buy an Iphone. The sales person told me that the newer Iphone does not do well picking up signals from cell towers and might present problems. I am curious if anyone is using one there and what kind of reception do you get? My US cell phone I have been using doesn't work well when it picks up Movistar but works ok if it bounces to Telcel. When it goes into voicemail, it wants a passcode now and that's a whole other story.

I have and use my AT&T iPhone here in Chapala and the Lake Area. I roam on TELMEX, but be aware, please call International Assist for Int'l Roaming Package, and the Mexico calling rates.

Texts are free with iPhone here, so my family usually texts me to call, and I can SKYPE them back at 2Cents/min. The International Roaming is great for GPS in Guadalajara and navigating around the city.

I rarely have NO RECEPTION, and feel in touch while in and around the villages. There is a large AT&T tower on top of the hill in Chapala. ALSO with the iPhone I use wi-fi when at home off of my TELMEX Wireless Router.

I usually have the phone on me because of the Camera 5.0 pics are pretty clear. WE also go back and forth between the states and do not want to keep changing phones.

Hope this helps...

I understand you can unlock or "jailbreak" an iPhone so that you can put in a Sim card for other providers (like Telcel). You could also then switch it back to a US provider when traveling to the States. Has anyone done this or is using a jailbroke phone successfully?

Alegria, yes, I have an iPhone that is jailbroken. I use the TelCel chip in Mexico and on the plane headed North, I switch it for an O2 Wireless chip for use in the U.S. Also did the same when traveling in Argentina last year. It works fine.

Good luck,

Valerie :D

I'm planning on getting an iPhone very soon so it's good to hear another success story.

I am going to buy a phone that is already jailbroke, but I've heard that occasionally the jailbroken phone goes "back to jail." Did you jailbreak your phone yourself or buy it that way?

--------------

Alegria, yes, I have an iPhone that is jailbroken. I use the TelCel chip in Mexico and on the plane headed North, I switch it for an O2 Wireless chip for use in the U.S. Also did the same when traveling in Argentina last year. It works fine.

Good luck,

I bought a used and jailbroken iPhone2 here. The nice person who sold it to me said that the only thing I have to be careful about is not having the phone hooked to the computer by USB cable when I update iTunes or I would lose some of the features. The phone works fine with a Telcel SIM card in it.

Alegria, I bought my iPhone from TelCel in GDL about 18 months ago and then my friend in Ajijic "jailbroke' it for me. He tells me which updates/downloads to get so I can continue running certain Applications, like Skype. I've really enjoyed having this phone and am eager to upgrade to the iPhone 4 when my 2 yr. contract expires. I hope by then TelCel will have some good upgrade promotions.

If you need my friend to "jailbreak" your new phone, just send me a PM and I'll get the two of you together.

Enjoy your new phone!

Thank you! It's reassuring to know that if my phone goes back to jail, we can bail it out again.

--------------

Alegria, I bought my iPhone from TelCel in GDL about 18 months ago and then my friend in Ajijic "jailbroke' it for me. He tells me which updates/downloads to get so I can continue running certain Applications, like Skype. I've really enjoyed having this phone and am eager to upgrade to the iPhone 4 when my 2 yr. contract expires. I hope by then TelCel will have some good upgrade promotions.

If you need my friend to "jailbreak" your new phone, just send me a PM and I'll get the two of you together.

Enjoy your new phone!

You techies are great. Buy what is jailbreak about? I am guessing, if I switch the sim card to a Telcel chip, I can use it as if I was using my Mexican cell or is it more complicated than that. And how can texting be free? I was quoted some ridiculously expensive international fee,

Jailbroke is a process that releases a phone from a particular phone service so that you can use it with whatever service you like. On my old Samsung phone, I have a SIM card for Telcel and another for AT&T. I switch them depending upon which country I'm in.

You techies are great. Buy what is jailbreak about? I am guessing, if I switch the sim card to a Telcel chip, I can use it as if I was using my Mexican cell or is it more complicated than that. And how can texting be free? I was quoted some ridiculously expensive international fee,

My original phone plan is with TelCel and has unlimited internet access and texts. I guess it depends on the chip and choices you make when you "jailbreak" your phone and get a chip and choose a plan. It's always a good idea to read the "fine print" as there are often some pretty nasty hidden costs.

I am happy with what I have and would recommend an iPhone to anyone.

Good luck with your choices,

Jailbroke is a process that releases a phone from a particular phone service so that you can use it with whatever service you like. On my old Samsung phone, I have a SIM card for Telcel and another for AT&T. I switch them depending upon which country I'm in.

Actually I believe "Jailbreaking" an iPhone allows you to use or write Apps/programmes from sources other than the apple app store. If you arent interested in that, then what you need is an "unlocked"iPhone, which is one that can be used with different service providers. I love my iPhone!

Paula

Enjoy your new phone!

Enjoy your new phone!

I agree with you 100%. I really like my iphone. My problem is it is not in service in Mexico. TelCel wants me to leave it with them and they will send it to Guadalajara to have it unlocked. I still use the apps daily and hate the thought of sending it off for who knows how long and what info may turn up missing. If jailbreaking accomplishes the same thing, I would rather pay your friend. We just moved here from Michigan and have not learned all of the tricks to making life easier. Any help you or anyone could pass on to me would be much appreciated.

I agree with you 100%. I really like my iphone. My problem is it is not in service in Mexico. TelCel wants me to leave it with them and they will send it to Guadalajara to have it unlocked. I still use the apps daily and hate the thought of sending it off for who knows how long and what info may turn up missing. If jailbreaking accomplishes the same thing, I would rather pay your friend. We just moved here from Michigan and have not learned all of the tricks to making life easier. Any help you or anyone could pass on to me would be much appreciated.

If you are talking about the Telcel office in Ajijic on the little plaza, do not, I repeat, do not leave your Iphone or any phone with them. I know someone who did and wound up with international calls on it. They couldn't figure out how that could have happened.

I agree! Do NOT leave your phone with anyone..... Send me a PM and I'll get you in touch with the local guy who can do it right in front of you and it never leaves your side.

I understand you can unlock or "jailbreak" an iPhone so that you can put in a Sim card for other providers (like Telcel). You could also then switch it back to a US provider when traveling to the States. Has anyone done this or is using a jailbroke phone successfully?

I did not "jailbreak" a phone. I bought mine already broken from EBay. But I use a Telcel Sim when I am here and a TMobile sim when I am NOB.

Chelseagirls had it right stating that there is a difference between jailbreaking and unlocking. Jailbreaking allows you to put apps on your phone without using the iTunes store. Unlocking allows you to use your phone with a different service provider.

Chelseagirls had it right stating that there is a difference between jailbreaking and unlocking. Jailbreaking allows you to put apps on your phone without using the iTunes store. Unlocking allows you to use your phone with a different service provider.

Thanks Mike :D

Paula

MikeR: I'm planning to purchase an iPhone 3gs very soon. Wondering if I need to buy one that is already unlocked and jailbroken or if you can do that service here?

ValerieLeigh: Does your friend unlock phones or only jailbreak them?

My local friend (American) can jailbreak and unlock iPhones. He's really a sharp techno guy. Unfortunately, he's ill right now but I hope he'll be better soon and can take care of some of these phones for you....

Archived