Chapala.com Webboard

Hotel in mazatlan that accepts small dogs?

jkgourmet

We are planning our drive home to Phoenix in early October and are thinking of stopping for a few days in mazatlan for some beach time. Suggestion for mid-price hotel, motel, b&b that will accept our dog and is conviently located?

(suggestions for other beach towns along the toll road route to Nogales are also welcome. We already know about San Carlos and plan to stop there on our way home, too.)

Here are some that take dogs usually. Sometimes acceptance depends on who is working the desk and how full they are.

-Damys on Avenida del Mar in the Golden Zone just south of McDonalds A bit of a dump.

-Hotel San Diego-Avenida del Mar-next door to Damys +

-Jacaranda just south of Damys, on the strip. A dump.

-Posada La Mision-on the east side of Calz. Camaron Sabalo in the Golden Zone. The best I've seen here.

-Los Arcos-Ave. Playa Gaviotas 214-on the ocean, about $100 dollars+

-Azteca Inn

Two years ago we stayed at Los Arcos a couple of nights with our dog. Nothing fancy, but big bungalow-style rooms that included a kitchenette. Clean. Basic comfort. Big plus is it's right on the beach and the units have a small outdoor terrace facing the ocean. Also had parking. Right on the strip with lots of restaurants and what-not.

Assuming it's in the same condition, I'd stay there again. Just don't expect plush.

Here are some that take dogs usually. Sometimes acceptance depends on who is working the desk and how full they are.

-Damys on Avenida del Mar in the Golden Zone just south of McDonalds A bit of a dump.

-Hotel San Diego-Avenida del Mar-next door to Damys +

-Jacaranda just south of Damys, on the strip. A dump.

-Posada La Mision-on the east side of Calz. Camaron Sabalo in the Golden Zone. The best I've seen here.

-Los Arcos-Ave. Playa Gaviotas 214-on the ocean, about $100 dollars+

-Azteca Inn

Cedros, I'm unable to find ANY information on Posada La Mision, except one in Taxco and another in Rincon de Guayabitos. Nothing in Mazatlan. Any ideas?

We are also looking at Azteca and Los Arcos. I find some reports on TripAdvisor that Los Arcos was sold in 2008, and not upgraded since, but I haven't confirmed that as accurate, but it is not on Expedia or the other major sites.

Gringodog.com will give you current info for all of Mexico. GREAT website, updated often. Also the moteles de paso outside every large town accept all pets, I guess on the theory the animals may be part of the act.

They are my hotels of choice, spotlessly clean, secure parking, lots of hot water, number one for me and my style of traveling....usually in the 200 range.

Maybe we need a Moteledepaso website!

Cedros, I'm unable to find ANY information on Posada La Mision, except one in Taxco and another in Rincon de Guayabitos. Nothing in Mazatlan. Any ideas?

We are also looking at Azteca and Los Arcos. I find some reports on TripAdvisor that Los Arcos was sold in 2008, and not upgraded since, but I haven't confirmed that as accurate, but it is not on Expedia or the other major sites.

I found this listing. I hope it helps.

Posada La Mision Camarón Sábalo #2100 Fracc. Sábalo Country CP 82110 Mazatlán, SIN...........................913-2444 PosadaLaMision.jpg

Posada La Mision isn't the type of hotel that would have a website. I found it a bit rustic but the rooms were large and you can take the dogs out the back door directly to an empty lot where they could do whatever they had to.

I see it is listed here; http://www.allaboutmazatlan.com/hotelinfo.htm so you can see the address and phone number.

The following from gringodog travels lists some more (I notice they put a couple of mine in there);

Azteca Inn: Per a forum: “Very clean, larger property. Great staff, good restaurant.” About $55 in November (2004).

Damy's Bungalows: Motel and bungalow known to have accepted pets. Located on Avenida del Mar in the Golden Zone just south of McDonalds. "A bit of a dump."

Hotel San Diego: Confirmed pet-friendly by e-mail. "Okay" place. E-mail: hotelsandiego@hotmail.com

La Jolla Mazatlán: I received a friendly response to an inquiry-confirmed one-room reserved for pets, $100 with breakfast. 219 Mariano Escobedo just around the corner from the Shrimp Bucket Restuarant. Website: www.mazatlanlajolla.com E-mail: bunnyeyer@hotmail.com

Hotel del Sol: Confirmed pet-friendly by friendly manager. $35 quoted, but charged us $20 more during Semana Santa in 2004. Av. Del Mar # 800, Tel 669-985-1103. Pool/patio/kitchenettes/AC/ phones/TV

Hotel "No Name:" A contributor wrote: If you are serious about "Motel 6" type of hotels, we have a great recommendation in Mazatlan. Because of our animals (after a lot of begging), we stayed there. It is cheap ($45 US) and clean. It is right across the street from the Taj Mahal/Mormon Temple type hotel - you can't miss it (name unknown) on the Malecon (seaside street) in the middle of town. If you want good cheap food, La Brochetta just down the street specializes in - Surprise - brochettes. The food was good and very cheap, though they did not have beer or any other alcoholic drinks.

Hotel Sabalo: Located in the Golden Zone. A contributor stated that this hotel is "the best I've seen here."

Jacaranda: Located just south of Damys. Described as "a dump."

Posada La Misión: Located on the east side of Calz. Camaron. A reader reported staying at this posada with his 92-lb. Lab in 2007.

Hotel (or Motel) Los Arcos. A reader reported the the dog was not problem at this hotel and no reservation was required. “Basic bungalow style hotel, rooms are dated, but smack on the beach.” About $900 MXP for a double. Note: some Internet reviewers indicated a reservation was needed during high season, as the place is popular. Address: 214 Av. Playa Las Gaviotas, Mazatlan. Tel: 669-913-50-66 Website: www.motellosarcos.com/ Email: info@motellosarcos.com

Booked at Hotel Azteca directly through the hotel (a bit cheaper than Expedia and Travelocity). $488 pesos, plus tax, plus $10 USD for the dog per night. Total is $698 pesos per night, including dog, for 2nd or 3rd story room (no pets in the ground floor rooms). 2 double beds, no queens or kings. Includes free parking (which I found was NOT available at all Mazatlan hotels.)

That's about $55 bucks per night. They take VISA and MC at no extra charge.

Toll free from Mexico: 01-800-716-9770

Thanks to everybody for the suggestions.

Archived