Chapala.com Webboard

Bar Oficiana - Chapala (for wings)

jkgourmet

I've read a few posts about the Friday night happy hour (5-7PM) special at Bar Oficiana. We were in the mood for something a little more NOB and cheap, so off we went.

First, the place is plain, plain, plain. wood chairs, wood tables, scratched up bar, a few bar stools. That said, it was clean and sort of a change from the plastic Pepsi chairs and tables. One wall was covered with a full size mural, which helped. What really impressed us was the big sign on the wall in English thanking the customers for the baby gift and for their patronage. It evidently was signed by the owner and his wife (and the baby). As the waitress spoke virtually no English, we really couldn't confirm, but I doubt I'm far off.

The place was filled with Gringo's. Two tables, each having 8-12 people. We took the last table, ordered a margarita and a beer. We noticed several people getting a small plate of refried beans, potato chips and cucumber sticks from a tiny buffet in the backroom. We finally asked for a menu, and the waitress indicated that they had wings. 5 for 25 pesos. Again, due to language issues, I don't know if they had other things on the menu, or if the kitchen is closed, or what. It didn't matter to us, as we wanted wings anyway.

These are breaded wings, rather than the more NOB style of frying and then covering them with a sauce (buffalo, honey, teriyaki, BBQ, whatever). And they were big wings, cooked perfectly crisp and still moist. I prefer the NOB style, but husband decided he liked these better. Two small cups of sauce were on the side - one Ranch dressing (we had to ask for more) and another some very weird sweet and sour Chinese-like sauce that tasted like somebody had added cayenne to make it hot. Not at all pleasing to either one of us. The seasoned potato wedges on the side were very good and we headed back to the buffet thing and got ourselves some cucumber sticks. On any return visits, I'd order extra of those potato wedges.

We did not notice a problem with cigarette smoke, as Valerie had previously mentioned. But I would say that take out is a good option. Order extra potato wedges, go home, have more Ranch dressing available and lots of napkins. At 25 pesos for 5 large, tasty wings, I'd call that a deal. A nice change from Lupita's rotisserie chicken that we get at least once a week.

Total cost for us: 2 beers, 2 margaritas (strong) and two orders of wings (total of 10) - 105 pesos. A very good deal, indeed.

Bar Oficina is on the main road that goes to Soriana, just below the Bus Station (I guess that's south of the bus station?). It has swinging doors. On the right hand side of the street.

We had wings and too much beer there last Friday. Don't even think of going in the evenings without reservations, this place is seriously popular. It reminds me of a "border bar" at least before the narcos screwed everything up. Very cheap, very good wings, just not enough of them. For that price, we'll order a third plate and split it next time.

We're trying the steak this Friday. A great little place run by nice people with decent bar food and cold beer, all at very cheap prices.

Jeanette,

I would like to comment on your post. The wooden chairs and tables are Equipales, not just cheap wooden tables and chairs. The tables are even covered with the Pig Skin Leather as is most Equipales Furniture. We have been going there several months and have always been very satisfied with the food and staff. They probably try harder to satisfy customers, than any restaurant/bar in Chapala.

They have wings on Friday nights, and each week on Mondays and Tuesday they have a different menu. The food is always very good and reasonable, to say the least.

And yes, I saw the Thank You sign that you were referring to, and it was from one of the waiters. Granted the sign was not in perfect English, but I wonder how many Gringos could have written the same sign in Spanish. I thought is was a nice gesture for him to take the time to even try to write and post it. Just my 2 cents for what it is worth.

Johnny, I think if you re- read my post, you will find that it was overall quite positive.

And I commented that I was "impressed" with that sign.

I don't what you inferred from my comments, but I think they were fair -- and more positive than other posts about this bar officina.

Johnny, I think if you re- read my post, you will find that it was overall quite positive.

And I commented that I was "impressed" with that sign.

I don't what you inferred from my comments, but I think they were fair -- and more positive than other posts about this bar officina.

I agree with you. It was positive. I just put my 2 cents worth in. I was not trying to be negative regarding your post. Sorry if you took it the wrong way.

I live right around the corner from La oficina , have seen the ads for meals on the door, even been invited to go there but declined. I just could not get past what this place used to be. I mean it was the dive of all dives in Chapala for a very, very long time.

Now, from reading the reviews here It sounds like a nice, cozy and respectable place.

About the rotating weekly menu ....what would be the best day to go try it for the first time....what is the favourite? I love fried chicken but I am from the south and highly critical of this particular dish.....

I live right around the corner from La oficina , have seen the ads for meals on the door, even been invited to go there but declined. I just could not get past what this place used to be. I mean it was the dive of all dives in Chapala for a very, very long time.

Now, from reading the reviews here It sounds like a nice, cozy and respectable place.

About the rotating weekly menu ....what would be the best day to go try it for the first time....what is the favourite? I love fried chicken but I am from the south and highly critical of this particular dish.....

Betsy, we were by Bar Oficina last evening and found out that they will be serving Bar B Que Ribs this week. They have always been very good in the past. Tuesday's are usually a full house, and Wednesday would be a good day for you to go. I agree with you regarding that Bar Oficina was the dive of all dives, but it has done a total turn around, and is a nice place to go to meet and enjoy friends. You need to call Tomas at 765 6500 for reservations.

Meet at 4 p.m. for drinks, and dinner is served after 5.

Archived