Chapala.com Webboard

El Serape - Ajijic

jkgourmet

Though I don't agree with your remarks, Peter, I will certainly apologize if I have offended or overstepped.

I've re- read my comments and think that my capitalization of "before I got here" was poorly written and easily misinterpreted. What I meant was that this board had become a nicer place "before I got here". (mostly because of the departure of a certain member, IMO.).

Atlas, I agree with you 100%. Moderators step in when the community does not control itself. That's why they call them the "forum police."

Though I don't agree with your remarks, Peter, I will certainly apologize if I have offended or overstepped.

I've re- read my comments and think that my capitalization of "before I got here" was poorly written and easily misinterpreted. What I meant was that this board had become a nicer place "before I got here". (mostly because of the departure of a certain member, IMO.).

Atlas, I agree with you 100%. Moderators step in when the community does not control itself. That's why they call them the "forum police."

Thank you, Jeanette. I respect your right to disagree with me and it is this type of communication or debate, done with respect and decorum, that should be acceptable on any board. And, as long as the comments are kept faily civil, people have the right to disagree with a post and rally their points back and forth. That is a debate and should not be moderated by anyone.

It was your capitalized "before I got here" that did upset me as it made it sound as you were the one responsible for the board becoming a nicer place. I appreciate your explanation.

I'll have to side with Atlas on this one; self-moderation is a key to any board's success. And I've seen lots of comments by members, since I became one, along those lines.

Youngsters need parents and teachers to "moderate" their behavior. Hopefully, adults think before they speak or write and moderate themselves. It would be helpful if there were a "pause" before "send" when the blood pressure monitor attached to the keyboard reaches a certain level. Maybe a "breathalizer" attachment, too, when the tequila meter shoots up. Mostly, people on here do know how to behave themselves. :020:

Youngsters need parents and teachers to "moderate" their behavior. Hopefully, adults think before they speak or write and moderate themselves. It would be helpful if there were a "pause" before "send" when the blood pressure monitor attached to the keyboard reaches a certain level. Maybe a "breathalizer" attachment, too, when the tequila meter shoots up. Mostly, people on here do know how to behave themselves. :020:

I totally agree with you, Atlas, and Slumdog that most people here do indeed know how to behave themselves and the key words are self moderation. While many may not like the moderators, I feel they have done a great job in reducing the nastiness that used to exist here and people now do self moderate themselves a lot more.

That does not mean people cannot disagree with a post. If you read the comments from those who thought ismism was in error, they did so nicely. With ismism responding, also nicely, this then became a debate. And, in my opinion, was not off topic as the OP was about El Serape and both sides were talking about their experiences at that restaurant. If the posts were about all the rain we have been having, that is off topic, such as we are doing now.

I still maintain it is not up to an individual member to decide what is off topic, decide what debate is acceptable, or decide at what point a debate should be stopped, whether they are the original poster or not. The people that debated the issue of the charge on the chips and salsa did so with self-moderation and I still feel it was wrong of Jeanette to intercede.

Hi Jeanette,

I thought maybe your capitalization was a parody of your Food Critic Predecessor--and thought it was very funny. BTW, I respect your reviews and responses.

Chuck

Hi Jeanette,

I thought maybe your capitalization was a parody of your Food Critic Predecessor--and thought it was very funny. BTW, I respect your reviews and responses.

Chuck

Some folks forget to take their "humor" and "irony" pills before logging in. And, one of the flaws in internet communication, as opposed to face to face talk, is that we can't see the raised eyebrows or smiles at the other end. Sometimes I think someone must be kidding........and they aren't. That's even worse!

Archived