Chapala.com Webboard

El Serape - Ajijic

jkgourmet

After the last time I wrote about being a bit disappointed with our lunch at El Serape (in June, I think), many of you suggested that we revisit the place and try some other dishes. We remembered the chamorro (pork shank in red sauce) very fondly from visits in prior years, and absolutely wanted to have that again. Between the memory of the pork shank and comments from other posters here, we were happy to try it again.

Here's the thing. I know they only serve the chamorro on Fridays and Saturdays. We've gone once on a Saturday (around 2:30pm - so I recognize it was late in the day) and twice on Friday's (both times around noon or 1pm). All three visits - no pork shank. On that Saturday visit, they indicated they had ran out. One Friday visit, they gave no reason. The other Friday visit (just yesterday, in fact), they said the meat delivery had not shown up, maybe tomorrow.

We'd really like to try the place again, and would love to have the chamorro that we remember so vividly from our prior visits. Suggestions, anyone?

After the last time I wrote about being a bit disappointed with our lunch at El Serape (in June, I think), many of you suggested that we revisit the place and try some other dishes. We remembered the chamorro (pork shank in red sauce) very fondly from visits in prior years, and absolutely wanted to have that again. Between the memory of the pork shank and comments from other posters here, we were happy to try it again.

Here's the thing. I know they only serve the chamorro on Fridays and Saturdays. We've gone once on a Saturday (around 2:30pm - so I recognize it was late in the day) and twice on Friday's (both times around noon or 1pm). All three visits - no pork shank. On that Saturday visit, they indicated they had ran out. One Friday visit, they gave no reason. The other Friday visit (just yesterday, in fact), they said the meat delivery had not shown up, maybe tomorrow.

We'd really like to try the place again, and would love to have the chamorro that we remember so vividly from our prior visits. Suggestions, anyone?

Often they'll still have some on Monday.

Why not drop by and tell Marcos, the chef/owner, that you would really like to come by for the chamorro. We did that recently and arrived on a Saturday at comida time with a couple of friends, as planned. The kid we call Marcos Numero Dos served us that day. They're a great family.

And yes the chamorro is often available on Monday. And maybe even other days of the week. Just ask, if you're just dropping in.

Jeanette, you've had a run of bad luck for the chamorro. Try again, and I hope it lives up to our praises. In fact, we've even had it as take-out. Dawg love those big bones.

Lexy

I ate at El Serape several days ago. My food order was good. I was disappointed that my diet coke was at room temperature; I really do not enjoy the taste of my soft drinks overly diluted with the melted ice. I was also surprised that this restaurant charges 22 pesos for an order of chips and salsa. These two issues are irritating enough that I am unenthusiastic to return, even though the entree was quite satisfactory.

I ate at El Serape several days ago. My food order was good. I was disappointed that my diet coke was at room temperature; I really do not enjoy the taste of my soft drinks overly diluted with the melted ice. I was also surprised that this restaurant charges 22 pesos for an order of chips and salsa. These two issues are irritating enough that I am unenthusiastic to return, even though the entree was quite satisfactory.

Chips and salsa are put on your table @ No Charge, check your bill. Your Coke had probably just been delivered. Relax, you're in Mexico!

We have never, ever been charged for chips and salsa in all the time we've been eating at El Sarape.

We eat at El Sarape fairly often. NO charge for the salsa and chips. I have recently become an addict to their chamorro, WHEN THEY HAVE IT. Even though it is listed as a special on, I believe, Friday and Saturday, they are sometimes out. Admittedly we do often show up late (7 or 8 PM, late for most reasonably priced Lakeside eateries). I have asked on other mid-week nights and they have had it. What a great meal, and huge portions. Fortunately there are other menu items that do very nicely when the chamorro is gone, chicken poblano crepes for one. And "the kid" makes one of the best margaritas around. He wouldn't even be allowed to serve one NOB.

I am not confused about this. I WAS charged 22 pesos for the chips and salsa. Of note, I was eating alone. Maybe this was the reason. I noticed that other tables had salsa and chips but none were brought out to me. I then asked the waiter for salsa and chips. He did bring them to me just before my entree arrived. Bill 15-18 pesos for Diet Coke, 24 pesos for tostada, 22 pesos for chips and salsa. My total bill came to about 60 pesos.

Atlas: I have no idea what you mean about my coke had probably just been delivered. And I did check my bill. It was about 60 pesos for three items, the tostada, the chips and salsa and the diet coke. I also think it a bit unfair to tell me to relax, I am in Mexico. I am aware of where I live. I have been here for a number of years. I was just adding my comment about an unsettling experience I had in this restaurant. I do believe that this forum is to share personal experiences, both positive and negative. I have posted both.

I am not confused about this. I WAS charged 22 pesos for the chips and salsa. Of note, I was eating alone. Maybe this was the reason. I noticed that other tables had salsa and chips but none were brought out to me. I then asked the waiter for salsa and chips. He did bring them to me just before my entree arrived. Bill 15-18 pesos for Diet Coke, 24 pesos for tostada, 22 pesos for chips and salsa. My total bill came to about 60 pesos.

Atlas: I have no idea what you mean about my coke had probably just been delivered. And I did check my bill. It was about 60 pesos for three items, the tostada, the chips and salsa and the diet coke. I also think it a bit unfair to tell me to relax, I am in Mexico. I am aware of where I live. I have been here for a number of years. I was just adding my comment about an unsettling experience I had in this restaurant. I do believe that this forum is to share personal experiences, both positive and negative. I have posted both.

If your Coke had just come from the delivery truck it would have been warm.

Perhaps its reasonable to expect complimentary chips and salsa when a complete meal is ordered, but not with a 24 peso appetizer. I doubt that you were being discriminated against because you were eating alone.

Okay, I started this thread, and I'm going to step in here before the moderator does. This has gone off topic, and is dangerously close to insulting inmism for her/her opinions and experience. Let's not go there, okay?

Maybe ismism WAS charged for chips and salsa, maybe not. May be ismism should have been charged for them, based on the total ticket, maybe not. (I would note that husband and I go to places VERY frequently, order only a beer and wine or beer and margarita and get the free chips and salsa. We do tip a bit more than standard to say thank you.) Regardless, I'd hope that we all would not go back to where this board was 6 months ago (and that's BEFORE I GOT HERE).

inmism is entitled to his/her opinion, and I am glad she/he he shared it with us. I may not agree - but that is what forums are intended to be. Places for respectful debate and discussion.

Perhaps its reasonable to expect complimentary chips and salsa when a complete meal is ordered, but not with a 24 peso appetizer. I doubt that you were being discriminated against because you were eating alone.

Howard--When chips and salsa are served free, they usually appear even before a customer orders. This has always been our experience at Sarape. Therefore it's unlikely that chips and salsa were withheld because of his appetizer-only order, Your idea here doesn't quite add up. Why ISIM (sorry, I'm not remembering the spelling) was charged for chips and salsa is a bit of a mystery to us.

Lexy

Okay, I started this thread, and I'm going to step in here before the moderator does. This has gone off topic, and is dangerously close to insulting inmism for her/her opinions and experience. Let's not go there, okay?

Maybe ismism WAS charged for chips and salsa, maybe not. May be ismism should have been charged for them, based on the total ticket, maybe not. (I would note that husband and I go to places VERY frequently, order only a beer and wine or beer and margarita and get the free chips and salsa. We do tip a bit more than standard to say thank you.) Regardless, I'd hope that we all would not go back to where this board was 6 months ago (and that's BEFORE I GOT HERE).

inmism is entitled to his/her opinion, and I am glad she/he he shared it with us. I may not agree - but that is what forums are intended to be. Places for respectful debate and discussion.

Jeanette,

Why don't you just stay here - and not leave at all. You're such an asset to this area - and to this board!

Jeanette,

Why don't you just stay here - and not leave at all. You're such an asset to this area - and to this board!

You have lost your freedom to travel. Please turn in your passport. Or maybe, you have "passed over" and don't know it, and are now serving your "eternal sentence"--better than a coal shovel. Remember Nicole Kidman in "The Others".

ROFL re "passing over" and not knowing it! Who knows? :unsure:

Re the whole chips and salsa thing..........maybe somebody who dines at El Serape frequently could just ask the owner what the policy is on the freebie or not freebie.

We usually go with friends, so that's four for dinner coming up and a good sized bill likely, so the freebie appears even before the ordering. Probably a judgment/anticipation call on the owner's part.

If a drink arrives warm, why not just request ice? I doubt they'll turn you down.

We ate there about 6 months ago. I found the food to be bland, my wife liked it. Neither of us liked the over-powering street noise. Decent restaurant just too close to the road and too noisy for us.

He targets the sensative palate of older gringos. There's salsa on the table and several different bottles of salsa picante available to season the food to your liking. There's no escaping the street noise, but for me it's a small inconvenience. Besides the Mexican dishes he's got one of the best burgers and best ribs in town.

Jeanette,

Like most of us here, I enjoy your restaurant reviews. And, I like the fact you try different restaurants and not just review the same six or seven over and over again, like a well known previous person. It is also good that you can afford to eat out twice or more a day to try such a variety of places to eat.

You seem to have become the self-appointed food critic and that is fine. Someone has to do it and you do a good job. HOWEVER, now it seems you want to take on the role as moderator as well. Just because you started the thread does not give you the right to tell people they are going off topic and to step in before the moderator does. The comments to what did or did not happen to inmism were not rude but were a respectful debate and discussion.

This board did okay BEFORE YOU GOT HERE and will be just fine after you return to Arizona. Please keep writing your restaurant reviews but it is not your place to step in and play moderator.

Archived