Chapala.com Webboard

Fonda Dona Lola - West Ajijic

jkgourmet

We've stayed in homes within walking distance of this place twice, and never went in. This trip, we've driving by and noticed how crowded the parking lot always was on weekends. So, time to visit.

Around 12noon on Saturday, the place was nearly packed. Mostly Mexican families with children, often parties of 8-10 at a table. The corner of this rustic building has a few things for the kids, mechanical horse, foos-ball, etc. This is not a restaurant to visit for a quiet, peaceful meal. It's loud, busy and great fun (for us) to watch the kids and families sharing a bit of down time.

Service was competent, but certainly not warm and fuzzy. Even though it was noon, we were told that breakfast and lunch were available and received both menus. Also received chips and pico de gallo. Very fresh pico, and very good - not too heavy on the cilantro or jalapeno. I know some people prefer the blended salsa, but pico when it's done right is my favorite.

A good assortment of Mexican and Gringo dishes, with the lunch menu full of choices of pork, chicken, beef and shrimp. Husband ordered a corona to go with his chicken fajitas, while I ordered a limonade and chile relleno.

The fajita's tasted good - particularly the chicken which had definitely been marinated and was not dry. But the presentation left a lot to be desired. Unattractive brown color, next to the blob of refried beans, with guacamole on the side. I thought the serving was a bit on the small side, but husband disagreed. Still, it all tasted just fine, especially with the extra hot red sauce they also delivered.

My chile relleno arrived, covered with a bit of red sauce. This thing was HUGE. I mean, I thought I was looking at Three Mile Island Chile Relleno on a plate. When I cut into it, I discovered the secret to its size: The chile was covered in about 3/4 of an inch of batter. I'm used to a thin egg wash which leaves a thin coating of egg on the outside of the chile. This must have been close to a two egg omelette surrounding a still good size chile. Not that it was bad, but it was heavy and really took over the dish.

the chile was good and spicy, and full of cheese. Red sauce was a bit bland, but considering the spiciness of the poblano chile, this might have been a good thing. I asked for no beans, and received a side of rice instead. Believe it or not, this might have been the best rice we've had since we arrived. Perfectly cooked, each grain separate, lightly flavored with a bit on onion and carrot.

Total price including drinks: 127 pesos.

So, I'm left with mixed feelings about this place. I'd be very interested to hear what other's have to say?

We used to go there frequently when it wasn't busy, during the week. Always decent food and the service was friendly enough. What finally discouraged us was the combination of the street noise, the dust and the flies. I think the trucks were the main problem. Seems like that was the spot where they did their worst. Otherwise, it's a good place to get a good breakfast or lunch at a very reasonable price.

Better to go on a weekday but even then expect the food to take awhile. Agree completely with Gringal about the shortcomings of the atmosphere. They do a good version of carne en su jugo (second only to the excellent El Zapote in Chapala) but even that dish, which theoretically is on the stove bubbling away, will entail a sizable wait. Okay chicken in mole (though nothing that will make you think you're in Oaxaca or Puebla). Breakfast is probably the best bet. With not many sit-down Mexican places in the area it MIGHT be worth I stop, but given the choice I'd head east to Mario's in San Antonio for breakfast or lunch, or the aforementioned El Zapote for dinner (or Mexican comida - they open at 2) and be much happier.

Doña Lola serves 'Huevos Motoleños' that can't be beat. We like the place because it is so consistent and dependable. The food is always good, if not epicurean, and always reasonable.

I am not familiar with this dish. Can you please describe?

I spelled it wrong: It is Huevos Motuleños. A tortilla covered with fried egg, refried beans, ham, cheese, peas, a sort of gravy, salsa, etc. You can find several variations with Google. Here's one list of typical ingredients to make four servings:

● 4 huevos

● 100 grs de jamon cocido

● 100 de queso manchego

● 100 grs de frijol en pasta

● 4 tortillas de maíz

● 4 tomates medianos bien maduros

● 1 cebolla pequeña

● 50 grs de chícharos cocidos

● 1 chile habanero

● aceite para freir

● sal al gusto

I spelled it wrong: It is Huevos Motuleños. A tortilla covered with fried egg, refried beans, ham, cheese, peas, a sort of gravy, salsa, etc. You can find several variations with Google. Here's one list of typical ingredients to make four servings:

● 4 huevos

● 100 grs de jamon cocido

● 100 de queso manchego

● 100 grs de frijol en pasta

● 4 tortillas de maíz

● 4 tomates medianos bien maduros

● 1 cebolla pequeña

● 50 grs de chícharos cocidos

● 1 chile habanero

● aceite para freir

● sal al gusto

I'd never had this dish until I tried it at Dona Lola and I was an immediate fan, although I forget the name each time I want to order it. I thought the eggs were poached, but maybe not. It also includes sliced

plantains(?) or bananas that I don't see in the above recipe. A wonderful dish new to me.

Lexy

Archived