Chapala.com Webboard

Brissi's - Riberas

jkgourmet

After receiving a flyer on our lower Chula Vista doorstep, I couldn't help but notice this place just next door when we had lunch there the other day. So off we went for lunch yesterday to Brissi's. A few tables outside, but covered with mosquitoes. Downright weird how many mosquitoes were hanging around.

So we went to sit inside, and found a very nice little set up - and no mosquitoes, thankfully. Clean as a whistle, tablecloths and everything. We were greeted warmly, and received menu's. As it was about 11:15am, I asked if we could order breakfast or lunch, and that was no problem at all.

This is another of the husband and wife run restaurants that we try to frequent here in Ajijic. These people, like so many others, are working hard, and it shows. They WANT you to like their food, their restaurant and come back again. We commented on the photo of a lovely young child on the wall, and found it it was the owner's daughter, then one year old, now 3.5 years old. He (sadly, I've forgotten his name) commented on how they missed having her at the restaurant, but she had just started kindergarten this week. He speaks very good English, and couldn't have been more friendly or helpful.

The menu consists of a good mix of standard Gringo fare and Mexican dishes. Breakfast is the usual eggs, pancake, omelettes french toast, etc. but you can also get chilaquiles and breakfast burritos. lunch includes the usual hamburgers and club sandwiches, but also a cuban sandwich, enchiladas, chile relleno, sincronizada and more. Lots of choices with pork or chicken.

Husband opted for the big man breakfast - three eggs, bacon, sausage, toast and hasbrowns. (I know, his cholesterol is gonna kill him, unless I do it first). The owner apologized that they had run out of hash browns, but could offer french fries or additional bacon or sausage, which was great because the sausage was the Jimmy Dean type links that husband loves. Huge amount of food, all very good, cooked perfectly, at about 65 pesos.

I ordered the grilled cheese and bacon with fries, which interestingly is on the breakfast menu. Choice of white or wheat bread was a nice touch. Good sandwich, again cooked perfectly, with a good amount of bacon. The fries were about average, but that's fine with me. I think it was like 35 or 40 pesos. (I did not notice if the more common grilled cheese with ham was on the menu, but I've no doubt these nice folks would make it).

The owner told us that he used to have the space now utilized by Wael for his new Middle Eastern/Egyptian restaurant, but "Thank you God", his business had grown and he needed more space, so he moved next door. With food, service and warmth like this, and a little support from the community, this family will need an even larger space soon.

Brissi's

on the Carretera, mountainside, a bit past the animal shelter, next door to the Middle 8am Eastern place. Lots of flags outside of these two places make them easy to spot.

Mon-Sat 8am to 6pm 765-3523 FREE DELIVERY (I don't know what the limitations are, but lower CV is included)

After receiving a flyer on our lower Chula Vista doorstep, I couldn't help but notice this place just next door when we had lunch there the other day. So off we went for lunch yesterday to Brissi's. A few tables outside, but covered with mosquitoes. Downright weird how many mosquitoes were hanging around.

So we went to sit inside, and found a very nice little set up - and no mosquitoes, thankfully. Clean as a whistle, tablecloths and everything. We were greeted warmly, and received menu's. As it was about 11:15am, I asked if we could order breakfast or lunch, and that was no problem at all.

This is another of the husband and wife run restaurants that we try to frequent here in Ajijic. These people, like so many others, are working hard, and it shows. They WANT you to like their food, their restaurant and come back again. We commented on the photo of a lovely young child on the wall, and found it it was the owner's daughter, then one year old, now 3.5 years old. He (sadly, I've forgotten his name) commented on how they missed having her at the restaurant, but she had just started kindergarten this week. He speaks very good English, and couldn't have been more friendly or helpful.

The menu consists of a good mix of standard Gringo fare and Mexican dishes. Breakfast is the usual eggs, pancake, omelettes french toast, etc. but you can also get chilaquiles and breakfast burritos. lunch includes the usual hamburgers and club sandwiches, but also a cuban sandwich, enchiladas, chile relleno, sincronizada and more. Lots of choices with pork or chicken.

Husband opted for the big man breakfast - three eggs, bacon, sausage, toast and hasbrowns. (I know, his cholesterol is gonna kill him, unless I do it first). The owner apologized that they had run out of hash browns, but could offer french fries or additional bacon or sausage, which was great because the sausage was the Jimmy Dean type links that husband loves. Huge amount of food, all very good, cooked perfectly, at about 65 pesos.

I ordered the grilled cheese and bacon with fries, which interestingly is on the breakfast menu. Choice of white or wheat bread was a nice touch. Good sandwich, again cooked perfectly, with a good amount of bacon. The fries were about average, but that's fine with me. I think it was like 35 or 40 pesos. (I did not notice if the more common grilled cheese with ham was on the menu, but I've no doubt these nice folks would make it).

The owner told us that he used to have the space now utilized by Wael for his new Middle Eastern/Egyptian restaurant, but "Thank you God", his business had grown and he needed more space, so he moved next door. With food, service and warmth like this, and a little support from the community, this family will need an even larger space soon.

Brissi's

on the Carretera, mountainside, a bit past the animal shelter, next door to the Middle 8am Eastern place. Lots of flags outside of these two places make them easy to spot.

Mon-Sat 8am to 6pm 765-3523 FREE DELIVERY (I don't know what the limitations are, but lower CV is included)

Daughters name is Brissi.

Today at 1PM there were no mosquitos - outside only a couple of Flies that he was very concerned about. The Cubana sandwich is on a large crispy bun - filled with BBQ pork, ham, bacon, chicken, avacados, lettuce, tomatoes - way too much for 1 person but I let my husband struggle through it while I sample Mexican treats.

Have had lunch there many times & enjoy the family as much as the food.

Today at 1PM there were no mosquitos - outside only a couple of Flies that he was very concerned about. The Cubana sandwich is on a large crispy bun - filled with BBQ pork, ham, bacon, chicken, avacados, lettuce, tomatoes - way too much for 1 person but I let my husband struggle through it while I sample Mexican treats.

We asked about the Cuban Sandwich and were told it also included a hot dog!!!

I've eaten tons of Cuban sandwiches in Cuban neighborhoods of NYC and Miami, even at Rick's former 60's in Paradise restaurant and have never had one that has bacon, chicken, avocados, lettuce and tomatoes. This sounds delicious and I'm sure I would like it, but it's a Cuban sandwich from someone's imagination.

Archived