Chapala.com Webboard

David's (breakfast) - Ajijic

jkgourmet

I'm not a breakfast person, but husband is. And when we have visitors, I do acquiesce to having breakfast more often than usual. I've already written about our enjoyment of Rick's Early Bird Cafe. But I wanted to mention David's as well.

David's is a different atmosphere than Rick's - quiet, no dogs allowed, I think no smoking, and just generally more laid back. Service was friendly, helpful, very unobtrusive. The Menu has a few more Mexican type dishes, including Huervos Rancheros, which one of our guests had specifically requested during her visit.

I ordered a mushroom omelet with ham and hash browns (turned down the also included toast). The omelet was exceptionally light and airy, filled with good grilled mushrooms. The hash browns were the preformed patty kind - meh - and the ham was unexceptional.

Our guests both raved about the Huervos Rancheros, most particularly the red sauce and the bacon they requested. They ordered extra red sauce, and after tasting it, both husband and I spooned that delicious stuff onto our eggs. Just an outstanding red sauce - a good enough kick to make it noticeable but not enough to burn. Perfect - and next time we stop there, I'll ask if they will sell me a bottle to take home.

Husband was very pleased to get sausage links that he declared tasted "just like Jimmy Dean". And the bacon was thick and excellent.

We glanced at the lunch menu (hoping for some Mexican dishes that would be using that red sauce!), but found mostly American style hamburgers, club sandwiches, etc. Still, if we wanted that kind of lunch, this would be a place I would quickly remember.

The prices were a bit less than Rick's, but I do point out that Rick's servicing are (by our standards) VERY large. David's servings were also large, but not as grande as Rick's Early Bird Cafe. And the cappuccino was a very nice surprise.

I can easily see why this little place has so many fans.

1 or 2 blocks west of the plaza on Hildago, on the mountain side of the street. Sorry that I didn't notice the hours or the days they are open, but it's breakfast and lunch only, and they ARE open on Sunday's.

We have been eating at David's off and on (mostly on) for several years. It's a very friendly, unimposing little place, very reasonably priced with good to very good food. I think Jeanette's comments about it being a little more laid back and quieter are on the mark. The owner (his name is not David and it escapes me right now) could not be nicer or more accommodating. He's managed to hang on through all the comings and goings of the more frequently touted eateries at Lakeside. While we usually do breakfast I will mention his ruben sandwich which is prepared in a high caloric, un-heart healthy manner but is oh so good. I sincerely hope David's continues to prosper into the foreseeable future.

We have been eating at David's off and on (mostly on) for several years. It's a very friendly, unimposing little place, very reasonably priced with good to very good food. I think Jeanette's comments about it being a little more laid back and quieter are on the mark. The owner (his name is not David and it escapes me right now) could not be nicer or more accommodating. He's managed to hang on through all the comings and goings of the more frequently touted eateries at Lakeside. While we usually do breakfast I will mention his ruben sandwich which is prepared in a high caloric, un-heart healthy manner but is oh so good. I sincerely hope David's continues to prosper into the foreseeable future.

A previous owner was David, a forgetable character, who does not deserve his name lifted to posterity by a now well run place of business. Asi es la vida.

The owner (his name is not David and it escapes me right now) could not be nicer or more accommodating. He's managed to hang on through all the comings and goings of the more frequently touted eateries at Lakeside. While we usually do breakfast I will mention his ruben sandwich which is prepared in a high caloric, un-heart healthy manner but is oh so good. I sincerely hope David's continues to prosper into the foreseeable future.

The owner's name is Chuy. David's Cafe is my favorite breakfast place by far, and I like that I am supporting a Mexican owner. I'll have to try the reuben.

Chuck

Archived