Chapala.com Webboard

Irish Pub

slainte39

For any of you Irish or Irish wannabees, that are wanting a little taste of the "ol sod", there is a fairly new Irish Pub on Lopez Cotilla 1860 in Guad. called the Temple Bar. It had been an "Irish Pub" for several years under a differnt name with Mexican owners, but could barely pass muster as being an Irish Pub.

It is now owned and operated by two lads from Dublin, Frank Cronin and David Walsh.

Anyway the fish chowder is as good as any I've had in Ireland (well almost). Being deprived does funny things to one's taste buds. The fish and chips are excellent--best I've had here in Mexico. They have a rather good selection of entrees on the menu including a terrific salad.

Unfortunately no "black stuff" on tap but there are cans (better than bottles).

The boys know how to serve up good "craic"--it may not be "brilliant" but it is "grand" (hiberno-english).

Give it try, and tell them Daithi sent you.

The owner of an Irish pub in SMA told us that under the terms of a trade agreement between Mexico and the EU,the total annual imports of Guiness on tap into Mexico is 60 kegs per year. And all of them go to one place in Cancun.

I don't know if he's correct,but I've never seen Guiness on tap anywhere in Mexico.

The owner of an Irish pub in SMA told us that under the terms of a trade agreement between Mexico and the EU,the total annual imports of Guiness on tap into Mexico is 60 kegs per year. And all of them go to one place in Cancun.

I don't know if he's correct,but I've never seen Guiness on tap anywhere in Mexico.

Neither have I, sad to say, as there is a world of difference beween draught and bottled or canned. Don't know why there would be that type of agreement on limited import(of barrels) as Diageo(Guinness parent company) has a big presence here in Mexico. Having said that, draught beer is a fairly recent "item" here in Mexico. It's true, that Cancun is the favored destination of Europeans in general, and the Irish in particular, so that probably explains that.

For any of you Irish or Irish wannabees, that are wanting a little taste of the "ol sod", there is a fairly new Irish Pub on Lopez Cotilla 1860 in Guad. called the Temple Bar. It had been an "Irish Pub" for several years under a differnt name with Mexican owners, but could barely pass muster as being an Irish Pub.

It is now owned and operated by two lads from Dublin, Frank Cronin and David Walsh.

Anyway the fish chowder is as good as any I've had in Ireland (well almost). Being deprived does funny things to one's taste buds. The fish and chips are excellent--best I've had here in Mexico. They have a rather good selection of entrees on the menu including a terrific salad.

Unfortunately no "black stuff" on tap but there are cans (better than bottles).

The boys know how to serve up good "craic"--it may not be "brilliant" but it is "grand" (hiberno-english).

Give it try, and tell them Daithi sent you.

Is the pub closer to Lopez Mateos or Independcia? I do not know where 1860 is and just wondering the best way to get there the next time we go to Guad. I am not Irish but love Irish food, especially good fish and chips.

The pub is one block from ave Vallarta and about three blocks down from the Magno Centro heading towards ave Americas. The fish and chips are quite good, however I prefer Magana. There are many other choices also. The canned Guinness is the closest I've tasted to the draught version, unfortunately, they commit the unforgivable crime of serving it ice COLD!!!.

Is the pub closer to Lopez Mateos or Independcia? I do not know where 1860 is and just wondering the best way to get there the next time we go to Guad. I am not Irish but love Irish food, especially good fish and chips.

Bollox gives good directions--only would add that the pub is on the north side of the street(Lopez Cotilla) and there isn't any street sign, so you have to look for the sign on the building(TEMPLE BAR), and the Irish tricolor flying above same. They do not open until 6:00 PM, so it is an evening place open until ??, or "lock-in"(for the younger crowd).

Lopez Cotilla is one block south of Vallarta and one-way east.

The pub is one block from ave Vallarta and about three blocks down from the Magno Centro heading towards ave Americas. The fish and chips are quite good, however I prefer Magana. There are many other choices also. The canned Guinness is the closest I've tasted to the draught version, unfortunately, they commit the unforgivable crime of serving it ice COLD!!!.

I will second your rec. for Jeffrey's fish and chips--especially when the pub is an hour away and that could be a lifetime at my age. Remember Jeffrey is a Rafferty from Manchester, so that gives him his bonafides.

The lads are out of line on the beer temp.(Mexican influence), but to the Irish, nothing is unforgivable. I reminded them about "confession" and hopefully they will mend their ways.

Anyone happen to notice anything else on the menu? Coddle, Irish Breakfast, stew maybe? I thought fish-and-chips (one and one) was a takeaway fave, and not a pub thing.

I'll try to answer your questions in order:

1.---There are several kinds of steaks, but don't remember much else. The only, what I call, traditional Irish fare, was the seafood chowder and the fish and chips. But then they eat most everything in Ireland.

2.---No coddle as there isn't a real recipe for coddle--it could be almost any kind of leftovers thrown together--and as my mother used to say "that's why they call it a "coddle"".

3.---No "Full Irish" breakfast as they don't open until 6:00PM--and besides--they can't get the rashers, bangers, and black and white pudding, to make it authenic. If they could, I would drive in for that.

4.---No Irish stew, but don't see why they couldn't (lamb,beef,potatoes,and carrots)--except it's difficult to find decent turnips and parsnips around here.

5.---It's both-- a lot of chippers are just small takeaway operations but I would guess about 50% of the pubs will offer fish and chips as well--probably closer to 100% in the fishing port towns along the coasts. Remember, nowhere in Ireland are you more than 2 hrs./150 km. from the sea.

My biggest complaint about the pub, is not the cold beer--that can be brought up to temp.--but no No. Atlantic cod for the fish and chips--OUCH!!!And the salmon you get here--well that's another sad story.

Archived