Chapala.com Webboard

Salted butter

slumdog

Wow, this thread has gotten convoluted. I might just remind, that my original post says "almost impossible" to find...

And it isn't. Almost impossible. At all.

I was in Walmart today and spotted three types of Mexican salted butter, along with the imports that you deem too expensive. (And they are, pricey, I admit.)

Then I was at El Torito and saw two there also (along with the spendy imported Lurpak).

Then I lost interest and quit counting for you.

I hope you find your best-ever butter at a reasonable price.

I was in Walmart today and spotted three types of Mexican salted butter, along with the imports that you deem too expensive. (And they are, pricey, I admit.)

Then I was at El Torito and saw two there also (along with the spendy imported Lurpak).

I'm really enjoying this thread and I don't even care that much about butter. But this have gotten up to the steam of searching for the holy grail. Beats the cable news and politics.

Travis, why the tone? I'll point out, once again, that most Mexican butter is -- in my humble opinion -- indedible, due to the disgusting smell and spoiled-oil taste, salted or not. I did not say it was unavailable: I did say I'd like to find one, salted, that I like. The single variety of Mexican butter that I believe is akin to butter NOB is the LATA brand, and I cannot find it salted.

I also mentioned I've bought a couple of the newer ones: the whipped Primavera, and the new soft Lurpak, so it's not the cost per se I have a problem with. I'd just like to get some regular-priced Mexican butter with salt. (BTW, I can't find any mention of the word "butter" on the package of the Primavera, although lots of stuff about low-in-fat.)

Travis, why the tone?

I apologize. I'm throwing a party tomorrow for a fairly large group of people and that's had me running around all week searching for things. Your quest for a Mexican brand of mantequilla con sal with a flavor that you like threw me over the edge.

Hope you find one that suits you. Cheers.

I apologize.

Not to worry. I tried the whipped Primavera, and while the taste was fine, it melted oddly. Not like fatless butter, but differently; can't explain it. It cooked up my fish just fine, but my girlfriend said she won't eat anything that has only chemicals on the label, and I'm inclined to agree.

So thank you all for your help, and I guess I'll just carry on with what I've always done: use saltless Lala for cooking, and pay for imported salted butters. I'm still at a loss as to why Mexicans don't seem to care for salt in their butter... .

• 1 year later...

I'm forwarding this message to Don and Jim at Lakeside Express to see how quickly they can get it on their website... and that's a darnsite better than the year originally predicted by one of the Costco managers--so yippee! everybody. (Assuming it is Kirkland brand and not Mexican Gloria or something similar.)

It's not a Kirkland product. It's "Gloria" which is also sold in the US and in over 100 other countries. Considered a "gourmet" quality butter by many in the food industry worldwide. http://www.trademark...a-85284034.html

Gourmet, huh? Not in my food industry. Yech. And that's what I was afraid of: CostCo always carries salted butter, Mexican variety, crjd. What a disappointment.

More Liana: right on, good one.

The French use a lot of butter and rarely use salted butter. Salted butter there is way more expensive than unsalted over there. We have a lot of great butters and most of them unsalted. I cannot bear Gloria but use Lala the mantequilla not the margarine and have no problem with it. Unfortunately for those who like salt in their butter I have not seen Lala with salt.

Got this from a website: "The acid in butter is less talked about than the fat, but it's no less important in terms of taste and the way it works with dough. In fact, a butter rich in lactic acids will have a very different taste from 'regular' butter, a taste which comes from 'culturing' or fermenting the cream before it is churned into butter. Think crème fraiche and you'll have an idea of the kind of tang that cultured butter has."

I wonder what process used in making Mexican commercial butters causes that rancid taste.

Don't whine like a spoiled brat, Slumdog. ".... I want Mexican salted butter....." (because it's cheaper is implied.)

When in Rome.......... so if cheap salted Mexican brands aren't to your liking, you can always head back to the land of Land O' Lakes.....

PS Mexican butters are fine for table use, sauteeing, etc. But I learned the hard way to NEVER use them in making shortbread (the dough looks fine,

then starts to get slimy and "oozy" in front of your eyes and is impossible to handle even with added flour). Also,any recipe that calls for

creaming butter and sugar together is best with imported stuff. And use refined (refinada) sugar -- never estandar -- or the sugar crystals will never break down.

Archived