Chapala.com Webboard

Salted butter

slumdog

It would be interesting to find out why it's almost impossible to get salted butter around here. I have been buying the two varieties imported from Denmark (?), but the price is now over 36 p for a half-pound. The only Mexican brand I can stomach is Lata; the others all taste like their oils have gone rancid. And, they don't do salted. Not too long ago, Pancho was selling off Kirkland salted, but I have never been able to find it at CostCo (I only shop at the CostCo off Vallarta).

It would be interesting to find out why it's almost impossible to get salted butter around here. I have been buying the two varieties imported from Denmark (?), but the price is now over 36 p for a half-pound. The only Mexican brand I can stomach is Lata; the others all taste like their oils have gone rancid. And, they don't do salted. Not too long ago, Pancho was selling off Kirkland salted, but I have never been able to find it at CostCo (I only shop at the CostCo off Vallarta).

I buy Kirkland unsalted at Costco here in Morelia. When someone wants it salted (for example, on toast), it's easy enough to use the salt shaker. Works for us.

Salted butter is not popular in Europe. Traditionally, salt was added to improve the flavor of inferior butter. Pancho still carries salted butter.

Try the Chipilo brand. It's actually pretty good (and salted). Both WM and Soriana sell it.

I was in WalMart today, and did not see any Chipilo brand, unfortunately.

But as my original post pointed out, salted butter is almost impossible to come by in Mexico, unless it's imported. The only Mexican brand that is salted is Gloria, and that is one of those that tastes most foul. Lurpak comes from Panama or somewhere, and costs inflated prices. I did however, today, find Lurpak soft butter (lightly salted), which I haven't seen before. Still as expensive as the hard stuff, but worth a try for those mornings when I don't want to do the cold-butter-on-toast thing.

I'll look for the Chipilo.

I was in WalMart today, and did not see any Chipilo brand, unfortunately.

But as my original post pointed out, salted butter is almost impossible to come by in Mexico, unless it's imported. The only Mexican brand that is salted is Gloria, and that is one of those that tastes most foul. Lurpak comes from Panama or somewhere, and costs inflated prices. I did however, today, find Lurpak soft butter (lightly salted), which I haven't seen before. Still as expensive as the hard stuff, but worth a try for those mornings when I don't want to do the cold-butter-on-toast thing.

I'll look for the Chipilo.

Lurpak is Danish butter--from Denmark, not Panama.

We always thought that we wanted salted butter also, and bought the expensive NZ Fern butter, then we tried the unsalted Kirkland and found out that we really did not notice the difference. It is fine quality, produced by Tillamook Dairy, Oregon.

We always thought that we wanted salted butter also, and bought the expensive NZ Fern butter, then we tried the unsalted Kirkland and found out that we really did not notice the difference. It is fine quality, produced by Tillamook Dairy, Oregon.

Right, that's the other one, Fern. And normally I might perhaps just add a bit of salt to my toast, but turns out we actually prefer the salted flavor. Although the unsalted is perhaps better for cooking, as it doesn't add unnecessary seasoning.

Ajijiccharlie will note in my original post I mentioned butter from Denmark, and that's one I used to buy. But the Lurpak I saw at the store yesterday said it was "something" in Panama, and distributed in Mexico, and there was nothing on the package about Denmark. The Lurpak soft I just picked up says nothing about its distribution or origin at all.

Right, that's the other one, Fern. And normally I might perhaps just add a bit of salt to my toast, but turns out we actually prefer the salted flavor. Although the unsalted is perhaps better for cooking, as it doesn't add unnecessary seasoning.

Ajijiccharlie will note in my original post I mentioned butter from Denmark, and that's one I used to buy. But the Lurpak I saw at the store yesterday said it was "something" in Panama, and distributed in Mexico, and there was nothing on the package about Denmark. The Lurpak soft I just picked up says nothing about its distribution or origin at all.

Fern changed to Anchor some years ago. But I have not seen Anchor on the shelves of any store for some time - the ship from NZ must be late.

Let the unsalted butter soften then add salt and whip. Store in plastic containers.

That's a good option and one we use. I also soften it, roll it and freeze it as you would if you were making flavored butter to slice...like fr on steaks. Anway I sure would like to find my Land o Lakes in the cold cases again...even at 80 pesos it always made the grocery list.

Nah; that's like telling me to make my own pizza, when I really want to order out.

I checked out the Chipilo today; I bought some, but it smells rank, just like most other Mexican butters. I'll reserve judgment, however, until I taste it.

Anchor is readily available at SuperLake, but it's still up there in price. SuperLake does not, unfortunately, have "dozens of brands of salted butter". They have a very few (but lots of inventory), all are imported, and all are quite expensive, with Anchor at $35/bar being the least expensive.

Perhaps I should rephrase: I want a Mexican butter with salt, assuming that if Lala without salt is good, Lala with salt would be good, and carry the same, far-less expensive, pricetag. I can buy imported butters any old time. I was buying Anchor at Mega for 22 pesos until the price jumped to 37p a few months ago.

I did discover that Primavera brand has tubs, at Soriana, of salted whipped butter; unfortunately, not cheap. I bought some anyway $37.50, to continue the experiment, and I must say I'm impressed.

Make your own. Pour a pint of heavy whipping cream (crema para batir) in a food processor and process until the butter separates. Rinse out the butter milk with cold water. Continue to press out the excess water using a spatula. Finally add about 1/4 teaspoon salt or more to taste.

I don't know if it is less expensive than buying the butter as recommended in the above posts, but I like to serve this with homemade muffins, bread, etc. as a special treat. IMHO no store bought butter compares with this simple homemade recipe.

Make your own. Pour a pint of heavy whipping cream (crema para batir) in a food processor and process until the butter separates. Rinse out the butter milk with cold water. Continue to press out the excess water using a spatula. Finally add about 1/4 teaspoon salt or more to taste.

Well, I'm glad you've got time to make your own butter. Me, too. Of course, I like to first buy my milk from the Amish, then separate out the cream, after which I hand churn it. Getting the salt, though, requires quick trips to Cuyutlan... . And then the spatulas: I have to wait until someone gets a flat tire, so I can chisel those. Oh, I forgot running up to the Tepalo to get the cold water.

El Torito, where evidently nobody shops, had Anchor last week, and has always had Lurpak. I even price-shopped it and Anchor was a better value being a slightly larger quantity and only a little more money.

I've never seen more salted butter anywhere in Mexico than I have in this area.

Buy it. Pay for it. Or make it. How's that? :lol:

Soriana has 'Gloria' butter, salted or unsalted (con sal o sin sal) in packages of sticks or in a 1 kilo brick, at $103 per kilo. It tastes just fine.

Oh, man, Gloria. Absolutely one of the worst, sorry. Does it not smell rancid to you? Or maybe you've been in Mexico long enough that you've gotten used to it.

El Torito, where evidently nobody shops, had Anchor last week, and has always had Lurpak. I even price-shopped it and Anchor was a better value being a slightly larger quantity and only a little more money.

I've never seen more salted butter anywhere in Mexico than I have in this area.

Buy it. Pay for it. Or make it. How's that? :lol:

Wow, this thread has gotten convoluted. I might just remind, that my original post says "almost impossible" to find, and my problem is not finding it, it's paying the higher prices for imported.

Wow, this thread has gotten convoluted. I might just remind, that my original post says "almost impossible" to find, and my problem is not finding it, it's paying the higher prices for imported.

And therein lies the question: What's tasty butter worth to you? IMO, that Mexican butter.......bites.

I'll pay, I'll pay ! :P

Archived