Chapala.com Webboard

missed the boat

pbush

Here is the deal...We missed being able to get our fm3 here in Houston before our move to Lakeside. The new rules say that the fm3 is only issued in Mexico. The consulate here says they will issue a temp fm3 visa to move household goods that is valid for 90 days. Our moving company says that customs will not accept that. One of us would have to come lakeside for duration of getting an fm3. I know we are not the Lone Ranger on this so has anyone recently gone through the new changes to move their household stuff down. Thanks for any info.

Here is the deal...We missed being able to get our fm3 here in Houston before our move to Lakeside. The new rules say that the fm3 is only issued in Mexico. The consulate here says they will issue a temp fm3 visa to move household goods that is valid for 90 days. Our moving company says that customs will not accept that. One of us would have to come lakeside for duration of getting an fm3. I know we are not the Lone Ranger on this so has anyone recently gone through the new changes to move their household stuff down. Thanks for any info.

WHO sold you your home? Talk to your Real Estate Agent...that SHOULD be part of their service...providing you with this information. You are definitely not the Lone Ranger on this issue....and the Immigration Rules are changing every day, it seems. But it is really not that complicated or hard. You just need to check with 'those in the know' and that SHOULD be the company who represented you in the purchase of your home.

Customs, Immigration and Consulates are three very distinct entities, who don't necessarily communicate with each other very well. A real estate firm is like the rest of us in adapting to the recent changes in immigration procedures. Those procedures do not affect the customs regulations, which say you must have an FM3 to get a 'menaje de casa'.

That's just the way it is.

we bought our lot 5 years ago and are now building our home which will be ready when we are ready to move down.

Have you talked to one of the local movers - Strom/White or Lakeside Moving - with luck, they will be more likely to be up to date on the situation.

We too are in the process of moving household items down from Canada.

It is our understanding that we can ship everything down and it will be stored in Texas until we secure our Visas. A simple phone call to release the goods and have it delivered to our home in MX.

Lorka

Lorka,

Can you provide a few more details? Will the shipping company get the 'menaje de casa' for you? Will you have to send them a copy of your FM3? Are you using a Mexican shipper; which one? Etc.

Thanks

I am glad to see these postings as I am in the same boat.

I was at the consulate this morning and the woman assured me that getting the temporary? FM3 is a two day process, same for the Menaje de Casa.

I will be dealing with Seymi (out of Guad) as my mover, and their cohort on this end, in Toronto. The agent who visited said I need to show them a copy of the FM3 ahead of time and the Menaje de Casa but he didn't say anything about possibly getting held up at the border because I don't have the actual FM3. I will ask about that.

The woman at the consulate reminded me that when I get to Mx I have six months to get the real deal, but she didn't give any hint that there might be delays at the border till I can produce the actual FM3. I wonder how much they will charge for storage if my goods should get hung up in Laredo.

By the way, "Canada's largest moving company", AJ Campbell, sent an agent to view my goods and he wouldn't even discuss sending by van, crossing at Laredo. He said there are too many problems, money and delays, and so he would only quote on road to Halifax, sea to Veracruz, and then road to Ajijic.

The move for me is October 1, approximately, so I can't be any help to you folks but you can be to me.

Best of luck. It's really stressful, isn't it.

Linda

It sounds like A.J. Campbell is really after your money! Toronto to Halifax, then by sea to Veracruz and then truck from the east coast of Mexico to Chapala? I guess he never heard that a straight line is the shortest distance between two points; or is seriously geographically impaired.

However, the questions about the logistics of the FM3 and Menaje de Casa remain unanswered, no matter what route your goods may take.

In rereading this thread the question I think I have to ask is How long does it take to exchange the "temporary" FM3 that a consulate issues for the real thing SOB?

Assuming I go ahead, then send a copy back to the mover, I should be OK. I was told that I do not have to be present or show the original, a scanned copy will do. I know that the Chapala office is no longer operating. So is it a trip to Guad and all in the same day I get the new "real" one, or is a matter of days or weeks?

I sure don't want to be paying unecessary storage time in Texas. When I asked the Campbell agent how much it would cost to store my stuff here, if that was necessary, it wasn't the storage that was so expensive but the "pick up charge". Would be the same there I expect.

By the way, "Canada's largest moving company", AJ Campbell, sent an agent to view my goods and he wouldn't even discuss sending by van, crossing at Laredo. He said there are too many problems, money and delays, and so he would only quote on road to Halifax, sea to Veracruz, and then road to Ajijic.

Linda

AJ Campbell needs to be aware that the port of Veracruz is notorious for 'disappearing' shipped goods. Friends of mine shipped their goods from France to Veracruz. The household items were shipped in locked metal trunks of belongings which were then to be transported by land to Ajijic. The customs agents never called to say that the goods had arrived in Veracruz. My friends called each week; the trunks finally were located after six months and my friends drove to Veracruz to pick up their belongings. Imagine their surprise when they discovered that all the locks had been broken open and all of their belongings--right down to their two-year-old's toys--had been stolen. When they notified the customs agent, he just shrugged. The bottom line was, "What did you expect?"

Get SEYMI to contact a different mover in your part of the world. Actually, I would advise YOU to call Sr. Covarrubias or his daughter at SEYMI, both of whom speak excellent English, and let them know what AJ Campbell told you. SEYMI will not want to do future business with AJ Campbell.

I have to correct something here.

The Campbell agent has nothing to do with Seymi. The Canadians I talked to, that Seymi referred me to, were most pleasant and helpful. I just wanted a second quote.

So it is ONLY Campbell that I am questioning. When I said to him that either way - in Laredo or in Veracruz - there would be Mexican agents to deal with, so I didn't see his logic (and as More Liana stated), he did not reply and moved on.

I don't think he was interested in moving me as I live in a small condo. And only a couple of pieces of furniture are going plus maybe 30 boxes. I guess they only like big moves. He suggested I get rid of the furniture and "contact Purolator." Whaaat?? If Laredo agents are too shifty to deal with as far as Campbell is concerned, surely the same situation would occur with Purolator.

I was thinking about calling the company - what kind of business turns a customer over to a competitor so easily? - but I looked at his card today and he is V-P of Sales in that particular outlet.

I will get out the other guy's card and start again with him.

I am glad to see these postings as I am in the same boat.

I was at the consulate this morning and the woman assured me that getting the temporary? FM3 is a two day process, same for the Menaje de Casa.

I will be dealing with Seymi (out of Guad) as my mover, and their cohort on this end, in Toronto. The agent who visited said I need to show them a copy of the FM3 ahead of time and the Menaje de Casa but he didn't say anything about possibly getting held up at the border because I don't have the actual FM3. I will ask about that.

The woman at the consulate reminded me that when I get to Mx I have six months to get the real deal, but she didn't give any hint that there might be delays at the border till I can produce the actual FM3. I wonder how much they will charge for storage if my goods should get hung up in Laredo.

The move for me is October 1, approximately, so I can't be any help to you folks but you can be to me.

Best of luck. It's really stressful, isn't it.

Linda

Believe the woman in the consulate and deal with them -get a copy of whatever directive you need to follow. You can do your own menaje de casa and turn it in to the consulate when they process your temp FM3 and they will note that it has been filed in their office. Seymi, has a very good reputation as an international mover- forget about asking the locals in Ajijic. If there are any delays at the border Seymi's customs broker will handle it because your goods will be in one of their contracted carriers containers.

Seymi has a very good reputation as an international mover- forget about asking the locals in Ajijic. If there are any delays at the border Seymi's customs broker will handle it because your goods will be in one of their contracted carriers containers.

Amen to what privado said. SEYMI is the best in the business. You can't go wrong with their services.

update on our situation.

The problem is that the consulate here, Customs in Mexico and Immigration are NOT on the same page. They are not even reading from the same book.

We have everyone on it. According to customs via the broker they are not accepting the temp visa.

We are going to start the fm3 process here and then come down and finish it there before our move. That is the only way to insure we get our goods moved when we need them there.

More to come....

I'm curious. Have you been to the Consulate in Houston in person?

All of your problems are based on the belief that you can no longer get an FM3 in the United States, that they are only issued in Mexico. (Based on the new rules that started May 1.)

A friend of mine who is about to do the same tap dance that you are went into the Seattle Consulate just last week and was told they are still issuing FM3s, with no mention of them being "temporary".

Worth a shot, anyway, if you haven't been to the office in person, although it sounds like you have. Good luck.

Great information and thanks for sharing but based on what you know why even start the process there? One still needs to finalize it in Mexico with more cost and effort. Obtaining a FM-3 in Mexico is now rather fast and no need to bother with a police report which I believe is required when applying for a FM-3 NOB.

why even start the process there?

For my friend, it's a timing thing. I also told her just to get it in Mexico. But she's building a house on the beach. She's here right now. She's doesn't want to get her FM3 here right now because then her renewal will be every year in August. She doesn't plan on spending August at the beach, understandably.

Her perfect scenario is to return to the US in September, get her FM3 there, then have her household stuff moved down in October using the duty-free permission that comes with an FM3. She'll then register her FM3 in Mexico, and her renewal date will be in November....a time of year she'll happily spend at the beach.

She's trying to juggle and tap dance at the same time. :rolleyes:

She is trying to use the rules which expired on May 1st, 2010.

If she wishes to get an FM3 in a specific month, she will have to do it in Mexico during the desired month. Then, she can return to the USA and arrange for the 'menaje de casa' and the shipment of her goods.

Great information and thanks for sharing but based on what you know why even start the process there? One still needs to finalize it in Mexico with more cost and effort. Obtaining a FM-3 in Mexico is now rather fast and no need to bother with a police report which I believe is required when applying for a FM-3 NOB.

It appears that the poster is trying to avoid an extra trip to Mexico, just to get the FM-3, prior to arranging the menaje de casa in time to have the furniture arrive at the same time they do. If it is possible to get the FM-3 in the US, the inconvenience of having to subsequently register that FM-3 is likely much less than the inconvenience and cost of an extra trip to Mexico for at least several days waiting for the FM-3 to be processed.

Archived