Chapala.com Webboard

Pirated DVDs

Orygun Duck

From August 7 LA Times:

"The (Mexican drug cartels) also are expanding their ambitions far beyond the drug trade, transforming themselves into broad criminal empires deeply involved in migrant smuggling, extortion, kidnapping and trafficking in contraband such as pirated DVDs."

Despite the common misconception, it probably ain't those friendly faces at the tianguis who are the real movers behind the trade in pirated merchandise.

Sorry, to say it amazes me how some have little understanding of the reach of the narcos. The pirated business in Mexico is estimated at $80,000,000,000 including clothing, videos, music, jewelry and it is controlled by the narcos. The revenue exceeds drugs and oil in Mexico. They also control car dealerships, many hotels, real estate businesses, prostitution, cement, golf courses, shopping centers, luxury homes, politics, etc. Somehow, they have to launder their money and these are some of the ways. That is why it when some suggest legalizing drugs implying the narcos goes away is so far from reality it is not even worth discussing.

They force millions of little shops and businesses to pay extortion and protection money. They kidnap far more people that you will ever know. Even in San Miguel the now former mayor has reported 18 kidnappings last year alone plus as noted many go unreported.

Yes the DVD's and music you buy locally is in effect stolen from the artists and producers. Why do you think it is sold for so little and do you think Mexico gets tax revenue from these sales? Of course not, but the narcos do.

Narcos control every aspect of Mexico.

Narcos control every aspect of Mexico.

The cartels are spreading into many industries in order to launder their money. The are involved in hotels, RV parks, spas, and day care among other businesses. It's hard to know when we are patronizing one of their money laundering establishments.

The cartels are spreading into many industries in order to launder their money. The are involved in hotels, RV parks, spas, and day care among other businesses. It's hard to know when we are patronizing one of their money laundering establishments.

Sounds a lot like Wall St.

Not sure that DVD's are that big a deal. Yes the ones here are illegal, but as younger people are so internet savy, they can easily get them online. Plus it won't be long before you'll be able to stream them right from your computer.

I think you miss the point. The profit margin for the DVDs is huge and trafficking in them is far easier and safer than drugs. You buy a DVD and the profits go largely to the cartels - and most of the jobs lost are north of the border. If you feel comfortable with that continue to patron the tianguis DVD shops and their drug lord wholesalers. (BTW: Availability on the Internet does not justify dealing with these crooks)

I think you miss the point. The profit margin for the DVDs is huge and trafficking in them is far easier and safer than drugs. You buy a DVD and the profits go largely to the cartels - and most of the jobs lost are north of the border. If you feel comfortable with that continue to patron the tianguis DVD shops and their drug lord wholesalers. (BTW: Availability on the Internet does not justify dealing with these crooks)

First I don't buy from the market guys and I never said I did. :blink:

Where's the profit when people can download them themselves from the internet? Where do you think these guys are getting them from? Most of the movies sold at the market are bad quality CAMS and not even rips. The drug guys are not involved in cheap CAM's.

Just about any movie or tv show you want is available through the internet at no cost. Young people will go this route and a before long it will just be common practice as the non-computer literate die off.

First I don't buy from the market guys and I never said I did. :blink:

Where's the profit when people can download them themselves from the internet? Where do you think these guys are getting them from? Most of the movies sold at the market are bad quality CAMS and not even rips. The drug guys are not involved in cheap CAM's.

Just about any movie or tv show you want is available through the internet at no cost. Young people will go this route and a before long it will just be common practice as the non-computer literate die off.

The only pirate we accept is the one sitting at my desk.

OregonDuck, could you please connect the dots for us - "You buy a DVD and the profits go largely to the cartels - and most of the jobs lost are north of the border." I need help on this. Also this statement "The profit margin for the DVDs is huge". Can you substantiate these statements?

Thank you.

I admittedly simplified the argument somewhat for purposes of space. As for sources, there are many, but here's one good article from downunder.

http://www.smh.com.au/national/movie-pirates-funding-terrorists-20090627-d0gm.html

Mexican Trailrunner

Archived