Chapala.com Webboard

Focaccia Restaurant

slumdog

Two of us went today around 3 pm to Focaccia's, out Tlachichilco way. It's been discussed on this forum before, and sounded pretty good. Pretty good doesn't come close to qualifying this great place.

There are so many yummy-looking Italian pasta, salad, and other items on the menu that I almost shied away from ordering pizza. Especially since there were too many pizza choices. We finally gave up the menu and just ordered: pepperoni, green pepper, chorizo, mushrooms, green olives, onions, and bacon. And double cheese. Got the Extra Large, which with only 3 or 4 items on the menu runs $140-$145 pesos.

With two margaritas (whoa, powerful and tasty, really good tequila), and a Coke, the bill before tip was $210 pesos. That puts the drinks at around $25, for a margarita? Not bad, and the pizza at $145 (assuming the coke was $15). I just can't think of another place that can beat those prices for the absolutely great food.

The place is really funky, and I mean that in the best way, with tons of knick-knacks and flags to hide the walls. I wouldn't step outside for a smoke, as it's right on the curb of the highway. Service was great and the food arrived pretty darn fast; they must keep the pizza ovens going. I'll be going back to try the pastas really soon.

How large was the extra large pizza? Thanks for the info - we have friends who live out that way and we keep meaning to stop by this place.

Bigger 'n I should've et. It was larger than the standard "large" from around here by an inch or so all the way 'round'

I want to at least locate this restaurant for a future visit. Since we're going to the Cruz Roja BBQ this afternoon, I know we'll be in the neighborhood. How far past the Chapala Country Club entrance is it? It's on the right/south side of the highway, correct? Easy to spot? Thanks.

The Chapala Country Club is in Chapala. Focaccia is on the highway east of Chapala (exit Chapala past the Cultural Center/Old train station) on the way to Mezcala. It is on the right side; lake side of the road, but parking for about four cars is on the opposite side.

Go past Vista del Lago where the country club is and continue going east about 5 or so kilometers. There are a couple topes before you get there. It's easy to miss because it looks rather like a shack. Keep your eyes on the right side of the road for it. Hopefully there will be parking spots on the other side of the road. Parking is sparse.

The first time we ate there a horse with a rider was hit right in front of the restaurant. The rider who was bareback was thrown to the side of the road, dazed but otherwise unhurt. One of the passengers in the car that hit the horse was a lady who was very pregnant and was complaining of pain in her abdominal area. It took the Cruz Roja about 40 minutes to come for her. The horse had to be put down by Dr. Pepe and he was. It was all very traumatic for everybody involved. That is a dangerous place in the road, especially with cars coming from the east.

• 3 years later...

Archived