Chapala.com Webboard

AMI Deli

jkgourmet

After reading about AMI Deli here, we stopped by last weekend. Very short menu, I think it included a couple of hamburgers, a club sandwich, and hot dogs. There are about 6 different toppings for those hot dogs. And yes, they ARE good hot dogs. (thanks to Illids for the original post).

Husband ordered the cheese burger and fries (I somehow managed to talk him out of the double meat cheeseburger). Very good burger and better fries than many other places down here. It was either $45 or $55 peso, and served piping hot and fresh.

I ordered one of the hot dogs, with toppings that included jalapeno, onions, tomato and I forget what all else. What the menu DIDN'T say is that mustard was already on the dog when it was delivered. I really don't like mustard, and would have specifically asked that it not be used if I had any idea that they were going to put it on. And yes, there ARE condiment bottles on each table for ketchup and mustard. (I also don't remember that the menu mentioned bacon as part of this hot dog, but I may be wrong about that.)

Anyway, I didn't want to send it back - at $35 pesos that just seemed like a creepy thing to do to the owner - so I scraped off what I could and started to eat. Even with the remaining unwanted mustard, this was one tasty hot dog. And huge - you really need a knife and fork for these things. Good bun with sesame seeds (Costco maybe?). The hot dog also included some mayo, which went quite well with the rest of the toppings.

Some kind of cabbage salad (room temperature) was served on the side. Not quite pickled, and I sure wouldn't call it sauerkraut. It also contained what I think were whole black peppercorns. Not to my taste, but others may enjoy it.

We'll certainly go back - but next time, I'll confirm what on those hot dogs before I order, and ask for the fries instead of the salad (and I'll be happy to pay extra for that switch).

(I also don't remember that the menu mentioned bacon as part of this hot dog, but I may be wrong about that.)

This is just such a Mexican thing. In Morelia, I once ordered a "hamburguesa especial" without knowing what I was getting into. Not only did the hamburger have bacon on top, it had a sliced up hot dog on top of the bacon on top of the hamburger patty. Because, you know, enough is never really enough. It needs to be more good. :lol:

If it helps, "No mustard" = "No mostaza, por favor."

¡Provecho!

Or, as I usually do on my non-bilingual status, grab the yellow and red condiment bottles and say, "No. Por favor. No". And smile, knowing full well that most servers speak better English than I speak Spanish.

(but I'm learning. Con = with. Sin = without. Hand signals and smiles = priceless). :)

The shredded cabbage you encountered was typical Mexican garnish. common in Mexico and NOB. OXXO has pretty good build your own hot dogs. Bacon wrapped of course for those of us that believe that pork fat is a staple in our diets. :D

After about 8PM, on most Mexican town squares, you will find a hot dog vendor. A typical hot dog is wrapped in bacon, placed on a toasted bun with mayonnaise, mustard, onions, jalepeños, col, etc. To get it any other way, you'll need to practice the names of all those things; now that you have 'sin' and 'con' figured out.

I stopped by this afternoon around 3 and ordered a "spicy hot dog" and a "plain hot dog". I've eaten the burgers before and they are really tasty. I got it to go and when I got home, both my husband and I really enjoyed the hot dogs. They are huge and really tasty! I had to use a knife and fork just to eat it, LOL!! They came with the "slaw/garnish" that I also thought was really good. I did order a side of fries and didn't really enjoy them but that's OK. I was already full from the hot dog anyway.

I'd definitely recommend them for burgers and hot dogs.

Enjoy!

Valerie :D

• 3 weeks later...

After reading some of the reviews here we thought we'd give this deli a try. Boy, what a disappointment! The hot dog was large but wasn't anything out of the ordinary taste wise. My wife ordered the shrimp burger and it certainly lived up to its' name, there was hardly any shrimp at all. The fries that came with it looked like they had been sitting in the cooking oil, greasy, dark brown, and limp. My mother-in-law ordered the baked potato and arrechera steak. The potato was good but the arrechera was tough, almost impossible to eat. Sorry, but this is one more I'm crossing off my list.

After reading some of the reviews here we thought we'd give this deli a try. Boy, what a disappointment! The hot dog was large but wasn't anything out of the ordinary taste wise. My wife ordered the shrimp burger and it certainly lived up to its' name, there was hardly any shrimp at all. The fries that came with it looked like they had been sitting in the cooking oil, greasy, dark brown, and limp. My mother-in-law ordered the baked potato and arrechera steak. The potato was good but the arrechera was tough, almost impossible to eat. Sorry, but this is one more I'm crossing off my list.

Despite the one review above, I believe you will find their hamburgers and hot dogs superb and worth a visit.

It's possible that they had an off day. I would like to see more recent reviews. However from our experience yesterday I can't recommend them.

We have been regular customers since they first opened as Camilo now Ami. We like it. The menu has expanded and side dishes were added. We've tried a number of different items, both hot dogs and burgers.

Our most recent visit was just this week. We had the BBQ burger and the Chicago Hot Dog. Both were excellent. The BBQ sauce was made right there and was really good. Spouse not a fan of the traditional BBQ Sauce but liked this very much. The bun was well grilled on the top and bottom so the sauce didn't make it soggy. The burger was served with fries. We like their fries. They were light and crispy and made with real potatoes...peeled, cut up and fried on the spot.

The Chicago Hot Dog is a favorite. Served with sliced dill pickles. Really enjoyed the cabbage side dish. We asked about it's ingredients and preparation. It's cabbage and whole peppercorns cooked in a vinegar sauce. Then cooled and served. A common dish in Mexico we've been told.

Some of the other menu items that we've tried are ... Arrachera Burger, Especial Burger (double cheese), Alva Hot Dog (chili peppers and grilled onions,) Chili Dog (mole chili), California (bacon, avocado, sour cream,) Poncho Hot Dog (bacon and melted cheese.) We were quite pleased with all of them.

The prices are very reasonable. Hot Dogs are 35 - 40 pesos. Burgers are 45 - 50 pesos.

They serve breakfast and other things but we haven't gotten that far.

The owner and staff are friendly and willing to please. They have home delivery and they do catering as well.

Everyone has their own personal tastes, likes and dislikes. Some cuisines appeal to one but not another. We're food fans and don't generally make repeat visits if we find the food not to our liking. No amount of ambiance or excellent service can make up for less than favorable meals. We do try to give a place at least a second try. Maybe a 3rd visit after some time has passed if others give it favorable reviews.

We do enjoy our lunches at Ami.

Archived