Chapala.com Webboard

Sadly, it happens in the US, too

jkgourmet

From MSNBC:

At least one police officer and two suspects were killed Wednesday when a gunbattle erupted during an undercover drug operation in Phoenix, police said.

The shootout left two other officers wounded and two other suspects hospitalized with non life-threatening injuries, said Sgt. Steve Martos, a Phoenix police spokesman.

Two more suspects were detained and being questioned, Martos said. A seventh was being sought.

All three officers were from the Chandler Police Department. One was pronounced dead at St. Joseph's Hospital and Medical Center in Phoenix, authorities said. One of the wounded officers was in critical condition at the same hospital while the other was in stable condition.

The names of the officers were being withheld until their families were notified, authorities said.

Martos told azcentral.com that the Chandler police undercover operation involved about a dozen officers, some of them members of the Chandler department's SWAT team, when shooting erupted inside the home.

-----------------------------------------------------------

on a personal note, I lived in Chandler, AZ from 1991 until 2007, when we purchased our home in nearby Mesa, AZ. This event occured in south Phoenix.

My condolences to the famies of the police officers.

Jim, I'm waiting to hear that information myself, and trying not to jump yo conclusions.

However, I can't help but note that the bulk of arizona's attempt to enforce the already established and federal immigration laws was put on hold by the court just hours before this shooting. (and contrary to popular belief, arizona's illegal immigrants are NOT all. Mexicans.

Here is the full article from the Arizona Republic about this tragedy.

"

To reply to the issue of where the shooters came from: "The five in custody were identified as Thadika Singleton, 38, John Webber, 37, Doarnell Jackson, 35, Jerry Wayne Cockhearn, 25, and Eldridge Gittens, 34. None was charged with being in the country illegally."

The dead cop? His name was Detective Carlos Ledesma, 34, father of two.

What is that saying about assumptions?

Here is the full article from the Arizona Republic about this tragedy.

"

To reply to the issue of where the shooters came from: "The five in custody were identified as Thadika Singleton, 38, John Webber, 37, Doarnell Jackson, 35, Jerry Wayne Cockhearn, 25, and Eldridge Gittens, 34. None was charged with being in the country illegally."

The dead cop? His name was Detective Carlos Ledesma, 34, father of two.

What is that saying about assumptions?

Their pictures were in the paper. They were Black. There was no indication or their country of origin.

The cops were Latino cops, but not city of Phoenix employees. The next question in my mind is what were they doing in Phoenix' jurisdiction.

Rufus

Rufus, the cops were members of the city of Chandler, az's police department. Undercover police, to be exact

Chandler is a large suburban community. The western border of Chandler is very close to the Phoenix city border (it may even share that border)

the undercover cops were involved in a sting operation. The 'drug deal' went down in the city of Phoenix who was cooperating with the Chandler investgation.

And, it happened again today when a worker at a beer distribution firm in Connecticut opened fire on colleagues killing eight of them before turning the gun on himself. At least two people were also injured.

From MSNBC:

At least one police officer and two suspects were killed Wednesday when a gunbattle erupted during an undercover drug operation in Phoenix, police said.

The shootout left two other officers wounded and two other suspects hospitalized with non life-threatening injuries, said Sgt. Steve Martos, a Phoenix police spokesman.

Two more suspects were detained and being questioned, Martos said. A seventh was being sought.

All three officers were from the Chandler Police Department. One was pronounced dead at St. Joseph's Hospital and Medical Center in Phoenix, authorities said. One of the wounded officers was in critical condition at the same hospital while the other was in stable condition.

The names of the officers were being withheld until their families were notified, authorities said.

Martos told azcentral.com that the Chandler police undercover operation involved about a dozen officers, some of them members of the Chandler department's SWAT team, when shooting erupted inside the home.

-----------------------------------------------------------

on a personal note, I lived in Chandler, AZ from 1991 until 2007, when we purchased our home in nearby Mesa, AZ. This event occured in south Phoenix.

My condolences to the famies of the police officers.

Atlas, I quite agree. I would only add that I made the original post as a reminder that while the cartels and cops are being killed in Mexico, it ALSO happens NOB.

Whether it's Mexican cops, Arizona cops, or military troops, it's still tragic. Sometimes necessary, but tragic all the same.

Atlas, if you look at the topic again, you will see the title is not the killing of police officers, but "Sadly, it happens in the US, too." Advice from one NEWBIE to another: unless you are the moderator of this group, I suggest you be a little kinder about the legitimate posts of others.

The topic here is the killing of Police officers, not disgruntled employees going on a rampage. Let's stay on topic please.

Let's face it. The three biggest problems in the US, when it comes to organized crime, are the cartels out of Mexico, the cocaine connections to Columbia via Cuba, etc, and third, the Russian Mafia, which is as ruthless as the drug traffic cartels.

They don't just operate at the border, or in LA. They have tentacles throughout the entire US. There are cartel battles being waged in northern US cities between cartels, and they are a large part of gang related attacks against each other.

We're not just talking illegals, we're talking about thousands upon thousands of people born and raised in the US, who actually work for the cartels, and are paid through the drug monies, and other illegal activities.

Where we have a problem in the US is that we don't use the tactics that a lot of nations do, when it comes to handling these bad guys. Does anyone believe that Nacho, or his nephew, were going to be captured? Even if they were to lay flat on the ground, and surrender, they would probably have been killed. Being behind bars doesn't stop these people from running their empires. It just puts a crimp in their style, and based on the story about guys being in Mexican prisons being let out complete hits, then going back into prison, where they were hidden from being charged, is just the tip of the iceberg that is Mexico's failed political and law enforcement agencies.

We shouldn't get ourselves too wrapped up in the "illegal alien" bit as we seem to want to say causes the problems. The cartels much prefer to hire legals, and have them do the work, because they can move about more freely in the US.

As for the illegals they are usually only mules, and such a small percentage of them are actually involved.

The answer is to hold people in the US who hire illegals responsible. Large fines, jail time, and in the end, seizure of property, for not validating their employees is where it starts. You'd reduce the illegals coming across the border by probably over 90%, and you'd know that more of them coming over would be the "bad guys," not just someone who is looking for a way to feed a starving family.

Just my opinion. Everyone is welcome to their own.

Archived